51 replies to this topic

#36 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

I don't tolerate drunk drivers. And in my opinion he could have had more and a perhaps better reaction time and COULD have POSSIBLY prevented this incident...maybe moving out of their way somehow or honking or whatever IF the other car was in the wrong. We don't know that he couldn't. It could be possible. But again being drunk at that level of alcohol his judgements are severly limited. And IF the other people were at fault why weren't they charged at all? My OP was cause I am truly saddened for the family and that I really don't get how in less then a day on a holiday that he is charged, put into custody and released on a drunk driving charge. Something that they try to drill into everyone about not doing.

#37 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

No one said they ran the stop sign, but the story said the family was travelling on South Talbot. SOuth Talbot is not a through way.
Possibly they were stopped at the stop sign and he crossed the lane and rammed into them? Then he would be responsible for the death if they were stopped. But if they had pulled out to cross Walker Road and he was driving in his lane and hit them, then that changes circumstances. Maybe they will release more information.

Jen Uh Fur, no one said you said it could have been prevented, that was directed at Jenny's comment:

jenny

Plotting a takeover

Group:Forum Administrator

Posted Yesterday, 09:15 PM

canadianangel, on 01 January 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Earlier reports said that he was southbound on Walker they where crossing walker at south Talbot rd. He may have been drinking and Driving but They crossed in front of Him. I would say they are both at fault. It's very sad that they lost a loved one and very sad the child is hurt. But think people are jumping to Conclusions before the whole story is out.

Jen.Uh.Fur, on 01 January 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

mysticmom, on 01 January 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

Impaired can be 1 drink or many, they should post the blood alcohol content.

The SUV did not have the right away by the way the story reads.

It is tragic. People should not drink and drive.

BUt you wonder, would the outcome have been any different if someone else hit them at that speed?

That corner is deadly, they need a light there or a round about or something. Someone else died there before.

Praying for all involved.

I think that had he not been drunk, he probably could have reacted a bit better. Since he hit the passenger side, that means the SUV would have had to cross the other lane first, so you should been able to see it.

Exactly. If he wasn't impaired he could have prevented the accident...I don't even want to call it an accident...cause it could have been prevented...but if he was completely sober he could have prevented hitting it. So even though both "may" be at fault he should still be charged with more than impaired driving. And I'm sorry but to be out in less the a day on this charge is completely ridiculous especially on a holiday. I can't stop thinking about this family and these young children who now have to live without their mom.

Proud mom of 3 boys
ADMIN REP for M2M Sponsored Activities, Calendar, Our Community Forums and Parent Resource Centre

There was another post about this on someones facebook page and the woman commented that they have a scanner so they get all the details of the accident, and it was confirmed that the father did indeed run the stop sign. None the less, a horrible incident.

#38 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

If the other car is in the wrong then no I don't agree with any murder or causing death charge...but I stand by my opinion on him being drunk and if he wasn't then he could have possibly prevented this by having better judgement. But there should be TOUGH TOUGH law and consequences on impaired driving.

#39 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

But Jenny that is how it is with all drunk driving charges, they are released and will have a future court date. They can't hold him because the woman died if the man pulled out in front of them.
As far as not charging the other driver, what is the point? He just lost his wife and his daughter is critically injured. And he is from the USA so I just dont see the point.

#40 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

At that level of alcohol, they did not release it. So how can you say that. If they release the level later and it is huge, I woudl agree with your comment then. But if he just had a couple drinks, I would tend to disagree. (He still should not have been driving, but I do not agree he could have changed anything) They only said over .08. That is as little as 2 drinks. I can drink 2 drinks (mind you I would not drive) but my reactions are the same. LOL

Someone else could have been in that spot and been sober and changing their radio and looked up and it could have had the same outcome. WOuld they have been charged differently?

All in all, it is very sad for the family. 3 kids are without a mother, tragic and terrible. But everyone is shifting the blame to the driver of the truck, and WE do not know that it was his fault. He is guilty in all your eyes since he had been drinking. No one has said anything about the driver of the SUV possbily pulling out in front of him. (WRONG PLACE, WRONG TIME type thing for the driver of the pu.)

#41 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Totally off topic, sort of

BUT now in 2012

do people not know the fines and criminal punishment that can come out of drinking and driving, not to mention they can kill themselves but mainly innocent people.

I understand that THIS time, the drunk driver did not cause the accident, that is ONE out of thousands though, I am glad that the officers did a sobriety test on him, so maybe he will NEVER get behind the wheel drunk again.

It is very sad, selfish and plain old stupid to drink and drive.

#42 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

who cares if it was 1 drink or 2
if you get behind the wheel of a vehicle you should not have any drinks whatsoever

#43 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

But Jenny that is how it is with all drunk driving charges, they are released and will have a future court date. They can't hold him because the woman died if the man pulled out in front of them.
As far as not charging the other driver, what is the point? He just lost his wife and his daughter is critically injured. And he is from the USA so I just dont see the point.

I get that. I really do...I am just appalled at the fact that he is out so quickly...what less then 12 hours after being charged with drinking and driving. And on a holiday. I get that maybe during regular hours or days but on a holiday at that time. KWIM? It's like it wasn't at all important and until his court date he can continue on with his life. Regardless who is at fault we all make mistakes...but drinking and driving is advised against everywhere and here he gets out quickly. KWIM?

who cares if it was 1 drink or 2
if you get behind the wheel of a vehicle you should not have any drinks whatsoever

I agree...

Everyone absorbs alcohol differently. Some can have 2 drinks and be ok...others have 2 and it knocks them.

#44 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

Once the investigation is done with we will know his reaction time from the computer box in the truck that records how fast you are going and how hard you slam on the breaks. You will also don't know how high his levels are they said it was over 80mg how do you know if it was 81mg and thats why they let him out Again as I said earlier we do not know the Whole story and we need to wait to make the final thought.

#45 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

Provincial police have released the name of the man charged in a deadly New Year’s Eve crash that killed one woman and injured the rest of her family.

Cole Rickett, 27, of Amherstburg, faces charges of: having a blood alcohol level over 80mg; four counts of impaired operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm; and one count of impaired operation of a motor vehicle causing death.

Rickett was released from custody Sunday on a promise to appear at an upcoming court date.

Carolyn Dutta, 44, from Ann Arbor, died from her injuries around 10 p.m. Saturday at Hotel-Dieu Grace Hospital.

Her daughter, eight-year-old Esme, remains in a Michigan hospital. Her condition has been upgraded from critical to “progressing,” OPP said.

The rest of the family — including Esme’s 44-year-old father Suman, her two-year-old sister and five-year-old brother — have been released from hospital.

The crash happened around 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Walker and South Talbot Roads.

Rickett was driving a Chevy pick-up track that slammed into the Dutta family’s Acura SUV.

#46 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

So, based on the Windsor Star article, I would venture to guess his BAC was quite high or they determined that he ran the stop sign?!?!?!

#47 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

well I am glad the condition of the little girl is looking up!

#48 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

we missed the accident by minutes as we were travelling a few minutes down the road. I'm very familiar with it too. There are stop signs that are very visible plus flashing lights above. Seriously I think the family was lost, as maps and gps was found and no one knew the reason they were out this way. Hard to say if he was sober if he would have reacted differently, I've seen speeders all the time on walker rd. Heck you should see the jerks that come out from the store. Regardless, its a very sad situation. I`m glad we didn`t see it happen because we had the kids with us.

#49 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

Provincial police have released the name of the man charged in a deadly New Year’s Eve crash that killed one woman and injured the rest of her family.

Cole Rickett, 27, of Amherstburg, faces charges of: having a blood alcohol level over 80mg; four counts of impaired operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm; and one count of impaired operation of a motor vehicle causing death.

Rickett was released from custody Sunday on a promise to appear at an upcoming court date.

Carolyn Dutta, 44, from Ann Arbor, died from her injuries around 10 p.m. Saturday at Hotel-Dieu Grace Hospital.

Her daughter, eight-year-old Esme, remains in a Michigan hospital. Her condition has been upgraded from critical to “progressing,” OPP said.

The rest of the family — including Esme’s 44-year-old father Suman, her two-year-old sister and five-year-old brother — have been released from hospital.

The crash happened around 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Walker and South Talbot Roads.

Rickett was driving a Chevy pick-up track that slammed into the Dutta family’s Acura SUV.

If he was charged with causing her death, that makes it sound like it was his fault, not the SUV.

#50 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

It does sound that way and if that is the case I agree with the charge 100%.

#51 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

They should release more details, like the BAC, the direction of the vehicles, etc. All that will come out in the court case.

Someone said they always slap extra charges so they can get him to take a lesser charge. Not sure if that is true.

They have to have evidence to make the charge stick, so we will see when it goes to court.

Also, both him and the father would have been questioned. I am sure they KNOW who was going which way.

Tragic, very tragic.

#52 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Thank you for the update. The family is continuing to be in my prayers.