30 replies to this topic

#1 Beautiful-Soul

Beautiful-Soul

Member for almost 2 years

• Members
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

If someone you knew ...and believed in, hosted a fundraiser dinner to raise money to make a professional recorded cd.. would you go?

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

no. fundraisers should be for someone who is in need of something necessary to keep on living and cannot afford it. A professionally recorded cd is not a necessity.

#3 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

no. fundraisers should be for someone who is in need of something necessary to keep on living and cannot afford it. A professionally recorded cd is not a necessity.

:goodpost

#4 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

This!

#5 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

I totally agree with mama on this one!

#6 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

I would go if I believed in them.
As an aside, tell them about this too: http://www.kickstarter.com/

#7 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

:goodpost

100% agree

#8 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

This!!

#9 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

I would definitely support them if they were a friend of mine! There are all kinds of reasons to raise funds, and supporting someone you love is a damn good reason!!

#10 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

It's not expensive to do a cd! My ex has made several!

#11 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

i support local artists all the time. If i really believed in them, the fundraiser was something i enjoyed doing or wanted to attend i would go.

#12 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

I have *no* knowledge in the area, but if someone had to buy or rent some kind of studio time - isn't that somewhat costly?

#13 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

If it was a band I believed in, yes, I for sure would and HAVE supported them in any way I could!

#14 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

I have *no* knowledge in the area, but if someone had to buy or rent some kind of studio time - isn't that somewhat costly?

Can be done for under a grand.

I would support someone who has been at it for a long time. Gigs at local places.

People really don't buy CDs anymore.
Buy a good camera and build up your YouTube followers. Look up Megan Tonjes. She is awesome.

Edited by Keegsmama, 10 January 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#15 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

This site looks awesome! And if they were friends and I believed in them, for sure!

#16 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

Can be done for under a grand.

I would support someone who has been at it for a long time. Gigs at local places.

People really don't buy CDs anymore.
Buy a good camera and build up your YouTube followers. Look up Megan Tonjes. She is awesome.

Yes! Local shows are a must. =)
i love me some Megan Tonjes & have since way before she "made it".
when it comes to YT, you have to be creative.
You sitting in front of a camera just belting out lyrics over a song played from your media player is lame to me.

#17 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

I don't see this as any different that anyone else wanting to be in any other career. Requires work and dedication to do what you want to do.

#18 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Jody Raffoul has been at it for years. It's not something you wake up and say "today I'm going make music " and expect to make money. Very,very few people make enough money to survive.

#19 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

check out http://www.jamspacew...r.com/Rates.php

#20 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

Is that in any way related to the Jam Space that was in the basement of the warehouse on Caron?

#21 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

if i like the stuff
i would go to show and stuff
but i do not by CDs

i guess i see the word funraiser and i think for someone who is sick
or got hurt
not trying to get a cearer going

#22 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Is that in any way related to the Jam Space that was in the basement of the warehouse on Caron?

:dunno no idea

#23 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

I would go to any local shows/events that they were putting on, and support them that way.

But not a fundraiser.

#24 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

I have an incredibly talented friend who did a CD launch. It was like an unplugged show featuring her new music. The cost of the tickets included receiving a copy of the CD at the door. There was an elaborate spread of finger foods and champagne and she signed the CDs after the show. That was an exciting way to be a part of her success.

#25 Beautiful-Soul

Beautiful-Soul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

If it was a band I believed in, yes, I for sure would and HAVE supported them in any way I could!

Dana, Do you do photography for cd covers? Do they print out that size? How much >? t.y. :)

#26 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

Dana, Do you do photography for cd covers? Do they print out that size? How much >? t.y. :)

I can for sure! I'll pm you my email addy for them to get info.

#27 theresab

theresab

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

No, we have known the owners of Jam Space since they opened up...it is a completely new venture and they are awesome. My step-son has been with them since they opened about two years ago. He has gone there from drum lessons and has jammed with his band there since the beginning. My DD has done a couple of recordings there, they are very reasonable price wise. DD also had her last birthday party there....a karaoke recording party that they all had a riot doing....they did the recording, a photo shoot and played rock band. Pizza, snickety snacks and cake....teenage birthday heaven....LOL

I highly recommend this business....they are super friendly and knowledgable!!

#28 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

No, we have known the owners of Jam Space since they opened up...it is a completely new venture and they are awesome. My step-son has been with them since they opened about two years ago. He has gone there from drum lessons and has jammed with his band there since the beginning. My DD has done a couple of recordings there, they are very reasonable price wise. DD also had her last birthday party there....a karaoke recording party that they all had a riot doing....they did the recording, a photo shoot and played rock band. Pizza, snickety snacks and cake....teenage birthday heaven....LOL

Who are the owners?

#29 theresab

theresab

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Who are the owners?

#30 theresab

theresab

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Here is some more info on Jam Space with the owners' names (sorry wasn't sure of their last name the other day)

Our sons' band headlined this concert yesterday. A lot of the music was not something I would choose to listen to, however they did awesome with the kids. Many of the bands have come a long way! The great thing is if you have a kid that wants to play, but doesn't have friends that do, they match them up with other kids there in the same boat. They really are a great organization for kids/teens.

http://www.windsorst...1258/story.html

Check it out!

#31 Beautiful-Soul

Beautiful-Soul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Here is some more info on Jam Space with the owners' names (sorry wasn't sure of their last name the other day)

Our sons' band headlined this concert yesterday. A lot of the music was not something I would choose to listen to, however they did awesome with the kids. Many of the bands have come a long way! The great thing is if you have a kid that wants to play, but doesn't have friends that do, they match them up with other kids there in the same boat. They really are a great organization for kids/teens.

http://www.windsorst...1258/story.html

Check it out!

vERY COOL. A little pricy for me though ( thats because im unemployed!) lol