3 replies to this topic

#1 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

Last night I got my first order of organic food delivered from Natural Earth Organic and I'm getting ready to make my next order but I have a few questions about organic foods. I was going to use the "clean 15" to gauge what foods I should buy organic, but there's more to it than just pesticides, right?

If food does not need to be labeled if its genetically modified and I buy something that is organic does that automatically mean that there's no way that any genetically modified ingredients are in there? EG organic corn on the cob or organic popcorn = no Monsanto funny business, etc?

If anything comes from the US, is their organic different than Canadian organic standards?

Last question - I love NEO so far, but is there any other service like this here in Windsor?

#2 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

It was my understanding that all corn is GMO now. So unless you specifically know who is planting your corn, I'd assume it is GMO. Don't quote me on that though.

#3 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

68% of corn and 91% of soybeans are GMO now.

If something is labeled "100% organic" then it should be mostly GMO free, but nothing can stop GMO seeds and pollen from contaminating organic crops, so probably nothing can be completely guaranteed as GMO free. If something is labeled as having "organic ingredients" or "organic" then some of the ingredients may be genetically-modified.

The best way to try to avoid GMO food is to buy only items labeled "100% organic", GMO-free, and/or grown locally by farmers you know don't use genetically modified seeds.

The cross-contamination is what really makes me angry. Plus there are likely soil effects that can't be reversed either.

#4 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

GMO-Free Food List

Rise in GMO Foods