67 replies to this topic

#1 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

ok first i will start by saying that in this weeks pennysaver or smart source there is supposed to be coupons the red plum ones or the smartsource ones
i am in a coupon group and today in the group a lady posted that her husband pulled out all the coupons out of his papers and they are selling them for 50 cents each
a lot of people were saying its ok because you have to usually pay 2.00 for the windsor star to get the coupons so 50 cents is a bargain plus since the family is struggling its a way to get a little extra money
personally i dont think its right as its not their inserts to sell and in my opinion its stealing
what do you think

ETA this guy is the carrier or the delivery driver for carriers
he is taking them out of those papers

Edited by sherri, 13 January 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#2 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

I don't think it is stealing. It is his paper and if someone wants to buy something he has .and that person is willing to pay why is that stealing?

#3 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

thats wrong, and it needs to be reported. I think its stealing, I forget what they said when we use to deliver it. What makes it right for them to sell the coupons when he is stealing my coupons out of my paper. And I pay for the windsor star, with my hard earn money.

#4 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

oh wait...he is taking the inserts out of the papers before they reach a customer?? If so yes he is stealing

#5 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

oops, I thought he was stealing them from other peoples paper. If its his, then go for it, but thats kinda of dumb and I wouldn't "buy" coupons when I can get them for free.

#6 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

oh wait...he is taking the inserts out of the papers before they reach a customer?? If so yes he is stealing

yes he is the carrier or the deliver driver to the carrier i am not sure which

#7 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

yes he is the carrier or the deliver driver to the carrier i am not sure which

Oh my!!! yes that is completely unprofessional and is stealing. Companies pay for those inserts, even the pennysaver to get to customers not to have some delivery person create a lack of supply situation

#8 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

sherri go read my comment.

#9 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

I think it's a very fine line. And a little more so because I don't know if PennySaver actually expects them to return any unused papers as it has been mentioned on that thread.

IF they don't have to be returned to PennySaver and IF they are legitimate extras, then I think it's on this side of acceptable. I would not find it acceptable if the PennySaver expected them to be returned or if he was not delivering all his papers.

When I read it I wondered: how many extras can you possibly have?

#10 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

No, I don't agree with it at all. I'm now disappointed that posts keep getting removed. We are adults and don't need people deleting posts. UGH (on the coupon group)

#11 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

I think it's totally fine. We all gotta make ends meet somehow.

kidding. Buddy is a douche.

#12 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

i through it was left overs
did not notice they where asking money for them till after a bit

Edited by sims, 13 January 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#13 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

apparently I am missing something somewhere...

#14 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

I think it's a very fine line. And a little more so because I don't know if PennySaver actually expects them to return any unused papers as it has been mentioned on that thread.

IF they don't have to be returned to PennySaver and IF they are legitimate extras, then I think it's on this side of acceptable. I would not find it acceptable if the PennySaver expected them to be returned or if he was not delivering all his papers.

When I read it I wondered: how many extras can you possibly have?

i dont think they were extras because she wrote she was charging the 50 cents only because of the work it took her husband to take the inserts out of the papers

#15 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

sherri go read my comment.

i missed it
the whole thing was taken off before i got there

#16 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

From what I understood, these were left over inserts from when her husband delivered the papers. She posted that she was only charging $0.50 because of the time it took for her husband to take the inserts out. The 50cents for the inserts is more than you get for actually delivering.

#17 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

Nat - I thought the same thing, but if you looked at her first message *I think* the first comment was her again saying that she had 70 extras that she was asking .50 cents a piece.

#18 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

if her husband has that many left over then he is telling the pennysaver that he needs them. My kids delivered the pennysaver not that long ago. So I do know how it works. If he is getting that many extras he needs to call and tell them that. And it was very rare that we had so many left overs except for teppermans. It makes me angry that they want to charge for the coupons when people on that site are saying they haven't recieved their flyers or coupons, how is that fair.

#19 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

In my opinion...it is wrong to sell coupons under any circumstances.

They are from the manufacturer and we have no right to make a profit of a coupon they offer for their product.

#20 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

They are from the manufacturer and we have no right to make a profit of a coupon they offer for their product.

But people aren't "technically" selling the coupon - they're selling their time to find coupons and cut them out.

For me, it really depends on the situation of how they came by the coupons. If I get Red Plum and don't use them but put them up for sale for .50 cents ... that's really borderline to me for the exact reasons you've stated.

If I have a deal with the corner store to save all the Saturday papers he doesn't sell and I go down and get them, take the time to cut out all the coupons and organize them, then I'm more okay with it because it's like a little picking business and I'm selling my time to do it rather than the actual coupons.

#21 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

But people aren't "technically" selling the coupon - they're selling their time to find coupons and cut them out.

For me, it really depends on the situation of how they came by the coupons. If I get Red Plum and don't use them but put them up for sale for .50 cents ... that's really borderline to me for the exact reasons you've stated.

If I have a deal with the corner store to save all the Saturday papers he doesn't sell and I go down and get them, take the time to cut out all the coupons and organize them, then I'm more okay with it because it's like a little picking business and I'm selling my time to do it rather than the actual coupons.

Still wrong in my opinion. And...to me...that is like using some sort of justification. Regardless, the bottom line is...it's selling coupons.

#22 joeyjoey

joeyjoey

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

ARGH, this is so WRONG! And makes me angry! I used to purchase the Detroit Free Press here on Sundays, just to get the coupon inserts. I stopped doing it because often the coupons were missing -- because the retailers would take them! The first time it happened, I had bought 10 papers, and when I got them home, there was only ONE full set of coupons! I was so mad that I called the Free Press & reported the retailer.

It's not right to profit from getting coupons this way. I am a couponer, but I will not steal coupons. I have been in Meijer and asked if I could have the coupons from the newspapers at the end of the day. But I would never go ahead and just steal them. That isn't right.

#23 Guest_charliecouponer_*

Guest_charliecouponer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

First, i think that sherri should have gotten her facts straight BEFORE posting about what happened in the coupon group.
Second, it's SAD that you have to come here and complain about the coupon group instead of going to the Admin with your issue. (We are all adults here right?)
Third, if you aren't happy in the coupon group. Leave. (We aren't in high school anymore.)

I mean really you've got nothing better to do than stir up trouble and bully people when you DON'T really know what happened. Shame on you.

#24 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:43 AM

First, i think that sherri should have gotten her facts straight BEFORE posting about what happened in the coupon group.
Second, it's SAD that you have to come here and complain about the coupon group instead of going to the Admin with your issue. (We are all adults here right?)
Third, if you aren't happy in the coupon group. Leave. (We aren't in high school anymore.)

I mean really you've got nothing better to do than stir up trouble and bully people when you DON'T really know what happened. Shame on you.

LOL.
Who's complaining? She asked if people think it's right.

Sounds like someone else is being a bully.

#25 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

I'd say so.. go out of your way to create an account to confront her? Couldn't you have taken your own advice?

#26 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

the facts were straight the info came right from posts in the the group
you were the one that was all gung ho to help a family that is struggling by saying its ok for them to steal something that wasnt theirs because they are struggling financially
yes you are right we are not in high school anymore and you should act like it
you blocked me in the group so you cant see my posts yet you start an account here to see what i am doing
take your own advice and grow up

Edited by sherri, 25 January 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#27 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

I can't believe this is being brought here. The funny thing was, that many of the women on the coupon site said that it was wrong for the family to steal the coupons and sell them. Just like in this thread too, the only difference was that when it wasn't going your way, you deleted the whole thread. Just like yesterday, the whole thread was deleted because you didn't like the answers you got. We call things like that temper tantrums, just because it doesn't go your way, doesn't mean you can get all huffy and puffy. Oh, maybe nat. can reply and say what happened yesterday, all because she posted about dunkin donuts.

#28 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

What is this coupon site anyway? I didn't realize it was so cut throat around there, and I'm thinking it sounds interesting! hehe

#29 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

What is this coupon site anyway? I didn't realize it was so cut throat around there, and I'm thinking it sounds interesting! hehe

coupons are cut throat LOL

#30 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'd be pissed as someone who pays for ads that he's doing that and he'd be in a lot bigger hardship if I could prove that because he'd be paying for my ad that didn't reach my customers! I really could care less about the coupons it's the fact that those business paid for those ads because lets face it 50C off tuna is just to bring the public into the store it's an AD not exactly a give-away

#31 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

LOL.
Who's complaining? She asked if people think it's right.

Sounds like someone else is being a bully.

THIS 100%

I think it's hilarious that you made an account to stalk Sherri and then cause some unwanted drama. Shame on you :tsktsk

#32 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

70 extra papers...well I hate to say it...he is not doing something right then....most paper companies...ie the windsor star, penny saver etc...all make sure you get just enough papers to do your route (maybe one or two extra)...so either he wasnt delivering them to everyone ..or they are screwing up how many he should be getting and he should be contacting them ...b/c that is wasteful and costs everyone money.Plus he is getting paid already to deliver those papers.

Its not right...

a) The companies pay to put the coupons in those papers to get to their readers, not to be sold for profit.

b)Plus he doesnt have to remove them from the paper..he could just let them have the paper whole and let them deal with the extra garbage.

Now if he contacted the pennysaver and let them know he had extra's and they didnt want them back...then I would have no problems with him giving them away.... but selling them is improper.

BTW...if they really need the money...drop the pennysaver route and get a Windsor Star route...they pay better, and there are plenty of routes available. I feel for people having trouble making ends meet, but there are places to help people that need it.

#33 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

70 extra papers...well I hate to say it...he is not doing something right then....most paper companies...ie the windsor star, penny saver etc...all make sure you get just enough papers to do your route (maybe one or two extra)...so either he wasnt delivering them to everyone ..or they are screwing up how many he should be getting and he should be contacting them ...b/c that is wasteful and costs everyone money.Plus he is getting paid already to deliver those papers.

Its not right...

a) The companies pay to put the coupons in those papers to get to their readers, not to be sold for profit.

b)Plus he doesnt have to remove them from the paper..he could just let them have the paper whole and let them deal with the extra garbage.

Now if he contacted the pennysaver and let them know he had extra's and they didnt want them back...then I would have no problems with him giving them away.... but selling them is improper.

BTW...if they really need the money...drop the pennysaver route and get a Windsor Star route...they pay better, and there are plenty of routes available. I feel for people having trouble making ends meet, but there are places to help people that need it.

agree 100%

Also when we did pennysavers, we might have a few extra of one type of flyer, never whole papers etc.. Something doesnt add up.

#34 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

I only have one question......

If you think what their doing is wrong... ( I dont fully understand the situation, nor do I care to...) Then wouldn't the thing to do, be to call the pennysaver and complain?

I am not sure what ur hoping to gain from the thread? If it were me... and I knew someone was doing something wrong... and it upset me and bothered me sooo much, that i couldn't get past it or let it go... and it seemed like a big deal.... Then i would try to do something about it... Call the place he works and report what he's doing.. If its breaking the rules, then his employer will deal with it.... .. Right?

#35 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

I only have one question......

If you think what their doing is wrong... ( I dont fully understand the situation, nor do I care to...) Then wouldn't the thing to do, be to call the pennysaver and complain?

I am not sure what ur hoping to gain from the thread? If it were me... and I knew someone was doing something wrong... and it upset me and bothered me sooo much, that i couldn't get past it or let it go... and it seemed like a big deal.... Then i would try to do something about it... Call the place he works and report what he's doing.. If its breaking the rules, then his employer will deal with it.... .. Right?

eta there was nothing to gain from this post i was just asking what others thought to see if i was the only one who thought it was wrong
i would have called the pennysaver if i would have had the husbands name and his route
you cant just call the pennysaver and say ya one of your carriers are taking the coupons out
do you know how many pennysaver carriers there are

Edited by sherri, 25 January 2012 - 10:26 AM.