• 8,511 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

get a knock at my door
lady ask if i want my dirve way and side wake sharvl
i said sure but i have no money on hand
she looks like at me are you stubit well that why i am doing this
i told sure sorry and close the door

so i was been rude
i do not think i was told her befor she she move away from the door that i had no money on hand

i think she could been a bit nicer
and say ok np have good day and move on :Holidays_smilie_schneekugel1[1]

Edited by sims, 14 January 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Most people would probably just say no thank you. Saying yes, but I have no money probably sounds like "sure you can work for free"

#3 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

i guess i am old school
but my mom always told me to say would you like your drive shavl for...$
but if i want to do it for free
i ask the person would like me to shavl you drive way and say nothing after that

and calling me stubit
yah that was rude to sorry
but no one should be called stubit in my books

Edited by sims, 14 January 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#4 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

You didn't say she called you stupid, you said she looked at you like you were stupid. Those are 2 very different things. I believe in shovelling the driveways of the elderly and those who aren't capable of doing so themselves. Anyone else too lazy to do so needs to pay.

#5 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

i do not think you understand
she should said i doing it for money would you like me to do it
she said nothing about money
how i am supor to know she wants payment if she does not tell me
she was not teen, she should word her self better i belive

Edited by sims, 14 January 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#6 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

no offense, but what did you think she was going to do, do it for free. Why do you think kids go door to door asking to shovel driveways. and its not old school because I'm older than you and even I know nobody shovels for free.

#7 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

that wasn't nice to say she should word herself better, because you should read your post over, because you are just like her, except its the way you write.

#8 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

you're posts are very hard to understand, I have to try to decipher what you are trying to say. The point is 99.9% of people work for money. I can't think of anyone who would just randomly offer services for free. It should be a given that someone offering a service is looking for payment in return.

#9 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

ok but tell the person you doing for money
thats all i think she should siad it
and yes i seen it done
for free
not matter who they are asking
so sorry its not always done for money

#10 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

you're posts are very hard to understand, I have to try to decipher what you are trying to say. The point is 99.9% of people work for money. I can't think of anyone who would just randomly offer services for free. It should be a given that someone offering a service is looking for payment in return.

:goodpost

#11 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

all i trying to say
is if your not doing it for free then tell me you ask when you are asking me if want it done,
do not assume i know you want payment :)

#12 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Usually if someone does it for free, it's a neighbour, and they just do it. If they are asking you it's because they want money for it. If it was going to be a good gesture, they would have just shovelled without asking.

#13 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

My ODS does ours and our elderly neighbours...out of the goodness of his heart! Some offer him money. Most times he won't accept unless they are persistent, only then will he accept the money!

#14 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

all i trying to say
is if your not doing it for free then tell me you ask when you are asking me if want it done,
do not assume i know you want payment :)

So if I ask you to babysit then I am to just assume you're going to do it for free?

Usually if someone does it for free, it's a neighbour, and they just do it. If they are asking you it's because they want money for it. If it was going to be a good gesture, they would have just shovelled without asking.

Exactly

My ODS does ours and our elderly neighbours...out of the goodness of his heart! Some offer him money. Most times he won't accept unless they are persistent, only then will he accept the money!

Yes, elderly. That was exactly what I was saying.

#15 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

see i also was always told ask be for you go on someone eles yard because if you slip and fall
the home-owner is paying for it
i always ask be for doing someone drive way as kid
never go do it with out asking if they want it done 1st

#16 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Well, I think it is rude for anyone to call anybody stupid ever. So if that's what she called you Nat, I would say yes definately rude, regardless the reason. She could have just smiled and said ok no problem.

#17 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

If she was coming to your door asking and requesting payment...you have the option to allow her services to benefit you. Regardless whether you do or not...homeowners are responsible to remove snow on sidewalks within 12 hours of the snowfall. So if you do not do it yourself, you must make arrangements to have it done.

Now...was it rude if she called you stupid? Yes absolutely it was.

#18 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

If she was coming to your door asking and requesting payment...you have the option to allow her services to benefit you. Regardless whether you do or not...homeowners are responsible to remove snow on sidewalks within 12 hours of the snowfall. So if you do not do it yourself, you must make arrangements to have it done.

Now...was it rude if she called you stupid? Yes absolutely it was.

she never ask for payment thats my point

#19 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

As long as you were clear on no payment...then nothing should be held against you.

But if she called you anything under any circumstance is ignorant!

#20 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

As long as you were clear on no payment...then nothing should be held against you.

But if she called you anything under any circumstance is ignorant!

yes that is what i was thinking to
ty

#21 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

If she didn't want money she would have never come to the door.
Nor would I have said yes if I didn't have money.

#22 erinsboys

erinsboys

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

If she called you stupid then yes, that's rude. But I don't understand something. If you thought she was offering her services for free, why would you tell her you didn't have any money on you?

#23 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

If she called you stupid then yes, that's rude. But I don't understand something. If you thought she was offering her services for free, why would you tell her you didn't have any money on you?

they way she ask
i was under sure,
did not want her to think i was going to get money for
(do not have cash in the house ever)
so befor she started i want to make sure it was clear that there was no money

(when i was a kid) one year kids where not asking to do it and doing it as RAK
but becuse people slip and felle the homeowner had to pay medical
so i was always told always ask befor start shavl
it did not matter if what you where doing it for RAK or payment

so i did mind her asking, but they she end it was rude
in my eyes

#24 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

its unclear to me if she called you a name or you just assumed she was thinking that
as someone else has said your posts are very hard to read
if she did actually call you a name then yes that is rude

anyone that comes to your door to ask you if you want your driveway done is expecting money for it
nobody is going to come to your door and ask you to shovel your driveway/sidewalk for free
if someone was going to shovel your driveway for free as a RAK or just being neighborly they would have just done so without asking

#25 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

its unclear to me if she called you a name or you just assumed she was thinking that
as someone else has said your posts are very hard to read
if she did actually call you a name then yes that is rude

anyone that comes to your door to ask you if you want your driveway done is expecting money for it
nobody is going to come to your door and ask you to shovel your driveway/sidewalk for free
if someone was going to shovel your driveway for free as a RAK or just being neighborly they would have just done so without asking

yes she said stuib to me

people should ask before doing stuff in my yard, they may slip on ice and get hurt
and i would have to pay for because its on my yard

#26 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Here is my take.

I, personally, realize someone going door to door asking to shovel drives is likely doing it to earn some money. Right now a lot of people are out of work and need some extra money. I also realize that not everyone thinks alike. Communication on both parts have been clearer. Calling anyone stupid is disrespectful, plain and simple. I would never have assumed someone would do it for nothing. I would pay even if nothing was asked. Out of respect for the person and out of gratitude. But, again, I also realize not everyone is like that. If I had no money I would simply have said "no thank you" or "sorry I have no money today". I would not have said "yes, but I have no money" To me that phrasing is disrespectful also.

I also think you are getting defensive about it. Your original complaint was not that she came on your property and may have been hurt. It was not until it was posted that you were unclear, and maybe overreacting, that your argument changed. Sorry, but that is the way I see it. I also wanted to say, in this case you may not have been held responsible if she had slipped. She was well aware of the state of the property. She came to your door asking to clear away the "danger". She was "trespassing" in hopes of employment to clear away the snow. She would have had no reason for that trespass if there had been no snow. (notice I said "may not" please, I did not say "would not". I am not involved with law and am not sure., I am only guessing)

#27 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

If she didn't want money she would have never come to the door.
Nor would I have said yes if I didn't have money.

right.
i also think you are over reacting.
You said yes, so she thought she was getting some cash.
Then you said you didn't have the money, which seems rude because you were expecting it for free.
don't expect people to do stuff for you for free because that is just as rude as her calling you stupid.
& you should REALLY start using a spell check and try to make sure your posts make sense. it is really difficult to understand what you are saying when it makes absolutely no sense and then wen we finally do make sense of it you are being unclear.

#28 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

its spelled stupid. Please use spell check or a dictionary. I come from parents who didn't speak a lick of english let alone spell words, I made sure that I knew how to spell, and read and write correctly, I'm sorry if this sounds like we are harping on you, but there is no reason for your lack of spelling skills considering you are using a computer. do you not have children who have spelling tests at school, do their spelling words, don't be the parent that can't spell (my dh really struggles) then we would understand your post. I find it hard to believe that she called you stupid, but if she did, it was because you gave her the wrong message. On a side note, there really wasn't alot of snow to shovel, so what was she shovelling.

#29 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

WOW!!

I am at a loss for words.
Yeah Natalies posts are hard to understand, but holy rude people.

#30 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

Why did this turn into picking on Natalie cause of spelling? Really people? I'm with you Jen.

#31 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Umm yeah wow!

It is one thing to say I am sorry I didn't quite understand your post could you clarify. It is another to out right tell someone they have crappy spelling or need a dictionary. I know spell check doesn't always pick up on some words. I am pretty sure people come on here for entertainment not to be graded. If you can't understand it than don't reply

#32 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

its spelled stupid. Please use spell check or a dictionary. I come from parents who didn't speak a lick of english let alone spell words, I made sure that I knew how to spell, and read and write correctly, I'm sorry if this sounds like we are harping on you, but there is no reason for your lack of spelling skills considering you are using a computer. do you not have children who have spelling tests at school, do their spelling words, don't be the parent that can't spell (my dh really struggles) then we would understand your post. I find it hard to believe that she called you stupid, but if she did, it was because you gave her the wrong message. On a side note, there really wasn't alot of snow to shovel, so what was she shovelling.

Are you SERIOUS???? What is wrong with you? Nat has already admitted to some "lack of skills". So there no need to be harping on her about it.

PS - maybe you should use YOUR spell check to notice that ENGLISH should always be capitalized as it's a proper noun. Before you become the spelling police on someone else, maybe you should be sure that your post is perfect. Since you must be so perfect to come down on someone who has admitted to having issues to begin with.

#33 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

Are you SERIOUS???? What is wrong with you? Nat has already admitted to some "lack of skills". So there no need to be harping on her about it.

PS - maybe you should use YOUR spell check to notice that ENGLISH should always be capitalized as it's a proper noun. Before you become the spelling police on someone else, maybe you should be sure that your post is perfect. Since you must be so perfect to come down on someone who has admitted to having issues to begin with.

Exactly Dana.

Yes, her posts me hard to read but there is no need to put her down.

Natalie drives me batty at times and she knows this. As I'm sure I drive her batty but she would be there for me in an instand if I needed her. In fact, she has many times. She's driven me home so I wouldn't have to take the bus with Sawyer in the rain. Her heart is ALWAYS in the right place. So what if we can't read her posts. DON'T READ THEM THEN!!! Block her so you can't see her posts.

#34 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

:grouphug :goodpost :yourock :thankyou-rose all

#35 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

You spell it a lot not alot. Not being picky or anything.