51 replies to this topic

#36 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

I much rather have fun decipering Nat's posts then to read a post with "proper" english that is hurtful.

eta to answer the OP's Q

The end of her question "would you like your driveway shovelled?" "FOR MONEY" is generally implied in that situation. the fact she didn't end the sentece with "FOR MONEY" leaves the door open for Nat to answer the question with a "YES" because that is the true answer

"would you like your driveway shovelled" - "yes"
without the person adding "for money" - Nat technically is correct by answering "yes"

As most said though the "for money" is generally implied in that situation.

Now there is a tv show that asks "do you want us to come to your home and redo your backyard, kitchen and whatever" Most people jump to the conclusion it is "for money" and dismiss them with an immediate "no". It only people like Nat who actually seek out the "catch" that end up getting the show to redo their place. So a quick assumption it is for money can work against you.

Edited by terbear, 16 January 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#37 theresab

theresab

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

its spelled stupid. Please use spell check or a dictionary. I come from parents who didn't speak a lick of english let alone spell words, I made sure that I knew how to spell, and read and write correctly, I'm sorry if this sounds like we are harping on you, but there is no reason for your lack of spelling skills considering you are using a computer. do you not have children who have spelling tests at school, do their spelling words, don't be the parent that can't spell (my dh really struggles) then we would understand your post. I find it hard to believe that she called you stupid, but if she did, it was because you gave her the wrong message. On a side note, there really wasn't alot of snow to shovel, so what was she shovelling.

You know, I was just saying to someone from on this site that I don't post often because I don't like my thoughts turned around on me. Pretty sad, isn't it, that there are folks out there that don't want to join in due to fear of being ripped a new you-know-what.

There is so much wrong with your holier-then-thou post that I don't know where to begin! What about the run on sentences? What about one paragraph, many subjects? What about forgetting to capitalize at the beginning of a sentence? What about improper use of punctuation?

You see, I know that no matter how learned someone is, there is always someone who has more skills then you in the crowd. One should always be careful when one chooses to criticize!

Sims, I know you do not know me well, but I enjoy your posts, they are part of who you are, your personna so to speak. The point is, you don't need to change unless it is something YOU want to do. I get that you come on here and are probably anxious to get out what you need to say before you have to run off and tend to a kid. Where is the fun and spontaneity if you have to start pulling out the dictionary!! I for one usually have no problem understanding where you are going with your thoughts, and if there is something I need clarification on, I ask.

OH, yes, I wonder what ever happened to staying on the OP's topic?? Hmmmm!

#38 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

Not to mention that post had a lot grammatical errors! lol We've got improper or lacking punctuation and everything! lol

ETA: Another thing that gripes me, is this attitude that if someone said she was stupid, it was clearly something SHE did. Give me a break!

Edited by Jill, 16 January 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#39 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

Edited by crayons, 16 January 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#40 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

VERY well said theresab!! I too like to read Natalie's post and while sometimes I may have a hard time,in the end I always know what she is trying to say.I also want to add that she is always one of the first people to wish anyone Good Luck or Happy Birthday, a good thought or even offer a hug. So don't change who you are or what you stand for Nat...not all of us are disturbed by your spelling ;)

Edited by momand2kidz, 16 January 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#41 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

its spelled stupid. Please use spell check or a dictionary. I come from parents who didn't speak a lick of english let alone spell words, I made sure that I knew how to spell, and read and write correctly, I'm sorry if this sounds like we are harping on you, but there is no reason for your lack of spelling skills considering you are using a computer. do you not have children who have spelling tests at school, do their spelling words, don't be the parent that can't spell (my dh really struggles) then we would understand your post. I find it hard to believe that she called you stupid, but if she did, it was because you gave her the wrong message. On a side note, there really wasn't alot of snow to shovel, so what was she shovelling.

When I was a moderator, I was under the impression that our treatment of other members was held to a higher standard. Did I have the wrong impression? Has that changed?

#42 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

thank you for all 15 hated emails, makes me feel warm and cozy!

#43 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm not sure who the chitter chatter mod is, but I will bring it to her attention. Behaviors FROM a mod are supposed to be even more stringent.

#44 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Well, Im sure Nat felt warm and cozy when u were being soo nasty to her..... ...... ..... ..... Maybe some good food for thought...

Its usually good to think before you speak / type. When ur talking to someone online, it doesnt make it ok for you to be nasty to them... u need to be mindful that that person has feelings...

I'm sorry if ur upset, but what did you expect? a pat on the back for running her into the ground and trying to make Nat feel like crap for not having good spelling?
I can't speak for anyone else... but i am not gonna give u a high five for that one...

#45 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

Well, Im sure Nat felt warm and cozy when u were being soo nasty to her..... ...... ..... ..... Maybe some good food for thought...

Its usually good to think before you speak / type. When ur talking to someone online, it doesnt make it ok for you to be nasty to them... u need to be mindful that that person has feelings...

I'm sorry if ur upset, but what did you expect? a pat on the back for running her into the ground and trying to make Nat feel like crap for not having good spelling?
I can't speak for anyone else... but i am not gonna give u a high five for that one...

:thumbsup

#46 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

The way people are attacking crayons is no better. Nobody should be mean to Nat about her spelling, and crayons wasn't the only one who dissed her. Nobody knows what personal struggles people have. Either way, running someone else into the ground isn't going to make anything better. Mean is mean, no matter why it is happening.

ETA: On the original topic, if she called you stupid that is wrong. I can see how she would be upset by how you said "Yes, but I don't have any money," but that doesn't give her the right to be rude to you or call you names.

Edited by emmsmama, 16 January 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#47 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Ok ladies...I am requesting we get right back to the OP question. No more hurtful posts please.

Thanks.

#48 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

ETA: On the original topic, if she called you stupid that is wrong. I can see how she would be upset by how you said "Yes, but I don't have any money," but that doesn't give her the right to be rude to you or call you names.

not quoting to pick on you but to cover off the theme that some others have said about this too..

so the theme that this girl had the right to react negatively to Nat's "yes but I don't have money" It isn't like the girl went and shovelled and came back to the door and was told "oh but I don't have money" She asked Nat a question "do you want your driveway shovelled" Nat answered truthfully "yes, but I don't have money" -- that simple exchange should not have resulted in the girl getting upset, nevermind the over the top calling of names....the girl knocked on Nats door trying to sell a service to Nat. Her getting upset at Nat is rude.

#49 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

not quoting to pick on you but to cover off the theme that some others have said about this too..

so the theme that this girl had the right to react negatively to Nat's "yes but I don't have money" It isn't like the girl went and shovelled and came back to the door and was told "oh but I don't have money" She asked Nat a question "do you want your driveway shovelled" Nat answered truthfully "yes, but I don't have money" -- that simple exchange should not have resulted in the girl getting upset, nevermind the over the top calling of names....the girl knocked on Nats door trying to sell a service to Nat. Her getting upset at Nat is rude.

This. She didn't specify that "I'll shovel your driveway for $30." So yeah, I'd say have at it, but I don't have money. The chick calling Nat names was incredibly rude and uncalled for.

#50 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

I've given the same answer as Nat had..... when some kids came to the door asking if I wanted the sidewalks done (in the winter) or the grass cut (in the summer)... I'd say "Sure but I don't have any cash on hand..." I'd say it with a bit of a laugh, and each time they understood it exactly as intended.... they'd comment that they were going around and doing the service for $$, and I'd say "ok thanks, maybe next time"....

In the exchange Nat posted, I do not see that she was being rude to the girl in how she said it... she was being honest and upfront...... there was no need for the girl, or ANYONE, at ANYTIME to call someone names....

#51 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

My kids were shovelling driveways yesterday on our street. They were not doing it for money but because they actually enjoy it still, lol! I had them knock and ask just to be sure that my neighbours were ok with the kids doing it as it might not have been done to a high standard and there was going to be snow (obviously) thrown into all areas. I wanted to be sure they were ok with that. Asking was out of respect of being on someone's property.
I have had my driveway shovelled before when I didn't have money and they came back another day to do it again and got paid double. Lots of ways that Nat's scenario could have played out.

#52 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Nope, I'm not saying she had a right to be rude in any way, whether that is calling names, rolling her eyes, huffing and puffing, or whatever. I said I understand why the woman would be upset (maybe feeling like she was being taken advantage of even though she wasn't) but she should have just smiled and politely told Nat to have a nice day and walked away.