5 replies to this topic

#1 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." – Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

I must be living under a rock because I was fully aware of PRObiotics, and I had heard of PREbiotics before, but didn't really pay much attention to what they were. Then today I came across a vegan meal supplement that got rave reviews and noticed on the ingredient list:

Frutafit™ Inulin FOS (from chicory root) / fructo-oligosaccharides

I was worried then that it had some kind of sugar-substitute in it for sweetness and filler and started researching. I came across a ton of links, but basically, it is a prebiotic and is supposed to have tons of health benefits.

Here is just one link to info. about prebiotics, but everything I've read up on it is positive.

Anybody else have info./knowledge about prebiotics they can share?

#2 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hmmm, more digging and the only negative I found is that it may feed not-so-desirable bacteria in your gut as well as the "good" bacteria. It can cause gas and bloating if you take too much as well, but most supplements don't have a huge amount in them and you can always slowly build up to a full dose of a supplement if you want to lessen the chance of gassy side-effects.

http://www.probiotic...saccharide.html

Either way, I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences before I give prebiotics a try.

Edited by emmsmama, 17 January 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#3 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

Nobody :dunno

I ordered some Vega meal replacement. I want it for when I'm on the run or even to have a 1/4 serving each day for the vitamins and minerals and nutrients in it. I'll give an update once I try it out. The instructions I found online say two scoops in a serving, but at least at first I'm only going to do 1/2 scoop so it would be a 1/4 of a full serving.

#4 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

I have been told that Prebiotics are they things you feed to the natural bacteria in your intestines...and Probiotics are actually the living things that you add to your intestinal track...but that is all I know.

#5 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

I ordered some Vega meal replacement. I want it for when I'm on the run or even to have a 1/4 serving each day for the vitamins and minerals and nutrients in it. I'll give an update once I try it out. The instructions I found online say two scoops in a serving, but at least at first I'm only going to do 1/2 scoop so it would be a 1/4 of a full serving.

Vega is amazing....the best meal replacement on the market.

#6 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Vega is amazing....the best meal replacement on the market.

Thanks for the feedback. It was really expensive, but I don't plan on using a full serving every day, so that will help it last longer. It arrived in the mail yesterday and I tried it out in a smoothie. I got the original flavour and put it in a smoothie mixed with just water, one banana and two ice cubes and it was quite yummy. I don't know if it will taste gross if I do a full serving, but for now I'm quite happy with the taste and texture of it in a smoothie.