14 replies to this topic

#1 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

I'm looking for something for knee pain. I've had creaky knees for years, but lately my left knee has been hurting me. Not a sharp pain, just a dull aching pain off and on. I think it originally started because in my new house there is no padding under the carpet in the basement and I was working out in the basement and I think it was too much impact and strain on my knee without cushioning. The thing is, I want something natural to help my knee heal up.

Anybody try glucosomine, MSM, and/or hyaluronic acid. I was researching and these all came up as natural things to use for joint health and I've found a vegetarian form of them from NOW, but I'm curious about anybody else's experience with them.

Edited by emmsmama, 21 January 2012 - 01:17 PM.
fixed spelling

#2 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Never tried any of them. But I know blueberries are a natural anti inflamatory as well as antioxident. As well as salmon, green tea, turmeric.

#3 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

My dad takes glucosomine and it helps his joints..... :)

#4 pfitzy

pfitzy

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

my mom takes all 3 regularly to help with her joint pain, she has for years and says they really help! one thing though, she said it took at least a month to feel the benefits. good luck!

#5 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Never tried any of them. But I know blueberries are a natural anti inflamatory as well as antioxident. As well as salmon, green tea, turmeric.

Thanks for the tips, I will get some frozen blueberries at groceries this week and drink more green tea. I'll have to look up turmeric to see what types of recipes it would be used in. I'm pretty sure I have some and use it to colour rice if it is the spice I'm thinking of.

My dad takes glucosomine and it helps his joints..... :)

Thanks for the info.

my mom takes all 3 regularly to help with her joint pain, she has for years and says they really help! one thing though, she said it took at least a month to feel the benefits. good luck!

Good to know about it taking up to a month to take effect! I'd love something that works quicker, but I want something that will fix the issue, not mask it, so it's worth waiting for the results.

#6 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

I have knee pain as well(and swollen ankles). I just bought some tumeric and have no clue what to put it in. I'm watching this topic for answers too.

#7 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

This link listed a lot of benefits of turmeric. I've added it to rice and I've also added it to curried Indian dishes in the past. You can also take it in pill for aparently.

Edited by emmsmama, 22 January 2012 - 01:08 PM.
forgot the link

#8 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Friend of ours swears by glucasimine. Sp?

#9 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

Well, I've been sprinkling turmeric on potatoes and rice for the last week and I also got some Weleda Arnica Massage Oil, NOW Glucosamine & MSM, NOW curcumin (pill form of turmeric) and NOW hyaluronic acid. My knee isn't hurting as much, but it was starting to feel a bit better before all the goodies came in the mail, though after I started putting turmeric in my food, so that may have helped. I'm curious to see if the creaking I've had for years and the occasional aches go away with me taking the supplements now.

Edited by emmsmama, 27 January 2012 - 11:57 PM.
corrected spelling

#10 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Just an update, the knee pain has been gone for a while now and the only time I seem to get creaking in my knees now is when I miss a few days of taking the supplements (vegan glucosamine & MSM, curcumin and hyaluronic acid). So if anybody else has knee or joint issues, this regimen may help you as well.

#11 Nian

Nian

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Glucosamine is the only supplement I found that worked for my knees! Yes, it took about a few weeks to get the benefits but well worth the wait

#12 hairchick

hairchick

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I recommend sprinkling unsweetened/noncoloured gelatin in your drinks and on food. My mom has been doing this for months and she has absolutely no pain anymore. It creates a cushion for joints and also lubes them. :)

#13 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I recommend sprinkling unsweetened/noncoloured gelatin in your drinks and on food. My mom has been doing this for months and she has absolutely no pain anymore. It creates a cushion for joints and also lubes them. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a vegetarian so I generally don't eat gelatin, but your tip might help someone else out and I never would have thought of gelatin to help :)

#14 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

I use a cooling mineral gel from JASON it's a tea tree pain reliever and I love it.! It's an all natural product and you can get a health food stores. I got the last jar from S&H health not to sure if we have one here or not.

#15 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

There is also a natural topical cream called Traumeel, available at chiropractors and I think I saw it at a regular store too.