13 replies to this topic

#1 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

I know everyone does a little bit differently, but i am curious to know how everyone likes to get their diapers washed.

I use pocket diapers with inserts. Seeing as my baby will be here anytime now, I figured i would see what people find works best, and decide if i should keep doing it the same as i did last time, or change the way i do my washing.

I normally use to rinse on hot.... wash with a lil soap ( Ecos ) on a heavy duty cycle, run them through an extra rinse and then dry the inserts in the dryer and hang my pocket diapers on a laundry rack.

A website i saw recommends the following wash instructions:

Basic wash routine: Cold Soak. Hot wash, Cold rinse, extra rinse. Its recommended that if you are using covers you hang them to dry as this will prolong the life of the waterproof layer and the elastics.

#2 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

I was every second day. I hand wash my green line covers. I hate pockets.

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

I used to do a cold soak, than a warm rinse, a hot with Borax, Than a cold rinse. I hung mine all to dry in the warm months including the inserts to help keep them white. In the winter I would put the inserts in the dryer and hang the outer part up in the laundry room

#4 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

I use pockets. Cold rinse, hot heavy duty wash with natural soap, extra rinse. Throw it all in the dryer on low including covers. No problems with putting the covers in the dryer, except that it has had a bad effect on the velcro so I mostly use snaps.

Edited by Danielle, 27 January 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#5 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

I sun them outside to remove stains. I use flip inserts and prefolds. I do have one size mother ease diapers but. Need to pick them up.

#6 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

I rise in cold and wash in hot with extra cold rinse at the end.. I also use Rockn Green or Laundry tarts Inserts get dried in the dryer in the winter and hung on the line in the warmer months. I use pockets and all in one pockets always get hung and all in ones like the inserts dry on the line in warmer months or in the dryer in winter they take too long to dry when just hung in the house. Oh and my wipes also get dried in the dryer.

Now the question is How do you guys do your Soaks?

I have a front loader with a window so I am able to stop the load once it fills and add more water I will let it sit for about 3 hrs before doing a rise then my wash routine. If they need to be striped I have a special pot for my inserts I use on the stove and use it to strip them. Boil the wash with soap and barox or with Rockin green's funk rock Remove from stove once i add all inserts and it has came back tot he boil let sit until cool them in the wash they go.

#7 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

I don't have a big fancy routine and never had stink issues or anything.

I am another pocket hater - I used them for dd & have 4 this time around but will not be getting anymore/may not even be keeping these.

Anything with pul and elastic gets hung to dry - super fast & makes them last longer. When it is nice out I put the rack outside so that any and all stains sun out.

I always just used Tide, I bought some diapers off a friend and they were pretty dingy/a bit stained which I was surprised by as I knew she was a crazy cloth lady with a gigantic stash she bought all brand new. All she ever used to wash diapers was rockin green, ick..I washed in tide and set out for a little bit and they were PERFECT again.

I am getting rid of a lot of what I used with dd & slowly gaining money to build a better stash. I have newborn/small covered already & my size 2/OS stash is planned - for less than 250$ I will have a great stash that I really want..I am skipping used for the most part this time as I definitely wasted money the last time getting things that weren't always in the best shape. Hopefully this baby is similar size wise to dd as she would still fit in all of these things NOW.

For this stash my plan as of now is 6 bge's (aio's with no microfiber for lazy changes/daddy), 2 flip covers, 2 thirsties duo size 2 covers, 2 econobum covers, a superlite cover, & a wahm cover and a couple of greenlines..easy - a system I can essentially beat to hell. I will have a 95% cotton stash & a little bit of hemp/bamboo for extra inserts. I have lots of sized prefolds/flats leftover from dd.

You like rumparoos, right? Will those fit a new baby?

I have mostly prefolds and covers for the little baby stage (along with a dozen fitteds, some fleece & wool, 5 xs bg aios and 6 nanasbottoms aios size small which should fit pretty early - they are super cheap, 45$ for 6 custom aios - mine are mostly all birdseye, you get to pick the soakers & inners..I had two with Brooklyn and loved them).

#8 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

I rise in cold and wash in hot with extra cold rinse at the end.. I also use Rockn Green or Laundry tarts Inserts get dried in the dryer in the winter and hung on the line in the warmer months. I use pockets and all in one pockets always get hung and all in ones like the inserts dry on the line in warmer months or in the dryer in winter they take too long to dry when just hung in the house. Oh and my wipes also get dried in the dryer.

I have a front loader with a window so I am able to stop the load once it fills and add more water I will let it sit for about 3 hrs before doing a rise then my wash routine. If they need to be striped I have a special pot for my inserts I use on the stove and use it to strip them. Boil the wash with soap and barox or with Rockin green's funk rock Remove from stove once i add all inserts and it has came back tot he boil let sit until cool them in the wash they go.

Soaks were never necessary for me =) & thankfully I never had to strip anything either..that seems like a pitb...not sure I would want to go through all of that on a regular basis - do you use synthetics? Are your babies sensitive to other soaps?

#9 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

I always did a cold soak, hot wash, extra rinse and threw everything in the dryer.
I would strip every once in awhile with Dawn and a bit of bleach. I have also stripped with Rockin Green.
I never had stink issues until we got our new washer and then I couldn't get around it no matter what tips and tricks I tried. Finally ended up stopping CD'ing-- we are potty training anyways. Word to the wise- don't EVER buy a energy efficient top loader-- the washers suck

#10 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

Soaks were never necessary for me =) & thankfully I never had to strip anything either..that seems like a pitb...not sure I would want to go through all of that on a regular basis - do you use synthetics? Are your babies sensitive to other soaps?

I have used tide but D has eczema so bad it didn't do well with her in diapers. Her poor bum was so red but when I switched and used Rockin Green it all stopped. I never find my diapers to be gray or dull. I use the inserts that came with the BGS and the Fuzzie Bunz and them have bamboo ones for extra absorbance. I have only have had t strip diapers once cause Some one thought they took Fabric softener soooooo bad took forever to get it out of the inserts. But I have done soaks a few times I like to make sure everything is very clean and it's usually after a trip where diapers don;t get washed for a few days. (like my trip to Florida it too 2 1/2days foruse to get there diapers smelled really bad and one the way home.) Or like when I go hme to my parents up north my mom freaks out over the cloth so if I want to use them i have to store them until i get home to wash pain in but on that one and they smell so we soak them.

#11 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

i have Baby Kanga Diapers and love them. I'll be using a few Kawaii diapers, and a few Bum Genious ones too. but I am a pick picket fan, :)

I use ecos to wash my diapers.

I do a rinse, and then a heavy wash, and extra rinse. And dont have issues with smell...

I sometimes used vinegar to strip. It seemed to work fine... anyone else try that?

#12 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

i have Baby Kanga Diapers and love them. I'll be using a few Kawaii diapers, and a few Bum Genious ones too. but I am a pick picket fan, :)

I use ecos to wash my diapers.

I do a rinse, and then a heavy wash, and extra rinse. And dont have issues with smell...

I sometimes used vinegar to strip. It seemed to work fine... anyone else try that?

Just throwing some vinegar in the wash? yep I have done that though not too often, I don't think it is good for the elastic. I also added tea tree oil on occasion...I would do a hot wash & an extra rinse at the end, sometimes I would run a rinse first but usually not, never really found we needed it.

#13 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

To strip I start with clean diapers. I turn up the hot water heater an hour or so before I fill the washer, then soak overnight in a couple squirts of Dove dishsoap. Then rinse several times.

#14 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

I always did a cold soak, hot wash, extra rinse and threw everything in the dryer.

I kept the diapers in a dry pail and washed every 2-3 days using the same method as you. In the summer I would sometimes line-dry the diapers and pockets (I used mainly pockets and some prefolds or fitteds with covers), but most of the time I threw them in the dryer. When I did line-dry them I put them in the dryer for about 5-10 mins. afterwards to soften/fluff them a bit. I almost always hung the Bummis and other covers to dry since they air-dried so easily.