15 replies to this topic

#1 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Ever since we got Jasmine(8 weeks) she has been doing this. When i took her for her 2nd set of shots i told the vet. He gave me something called Forbid at the cost of 24.95 for 4 pouches. I put a 1/4pkg. twice a day on her food.
I'm done the Forbid now and she is still eating her poop. I watch her carefully when she poops and stop her, but there are times when she poops when i'm not looking. Just like Roxy we are training her to go potty on the balcony in a prepared area for them. We didn't have this problem with Roxy. Is it a Shih-tzu behaviour?
So, what i'm asking is, what else can i do that won't cost a lot? I'm so hoping she will outgrow this behaviour.

#2 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

my one did this ALL the time... ALL the time...
apperently if you feed them pineapple it's supposed to deter them... never did I think he just thought it tasted like pineapple LOL

#3 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

My one dog just stopped doing this(except she would eat the other dog's poop, not her own).

Nothing we tried ever deterred her from doing it. The only way she wouldn't do it is we stood out there with them and yelled at her.

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

I have had this problem with many of my dogs. I find the only sure fire way of stopping it is to pick up after them immediately after every BM. At the puppy age this is not an issue since I always take mine out on leash until they are mostly house trained, then, I still go out with them until they are totally trained. (this way I can reward after every potty immediately during and after each one)

If it continues into adulthood it is much more difficult to get them to stop. I have had some success with MSG but, would never give that to a puppy.

The thing is you have to do whatever it is until the habit is totally broken. For coprophasia that is usually at least one month.

If you want to try MSG you can get it at bulk stores. I'm not sure on dosage though. If you don't use enough and try to increase it slowly the dog may get used to it. I certainly would want to be careful with a dose in a growing dog.

#5 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

My boxer used to do this as a puppy, but grew out of it. I'd probably just do my best to clean the poop asap so that he has less opportunity..?

#6 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

I have had this problem with many of my dogs. I find the only sure fire way of stopping it is to pick up after them immediately after every BM.

he he that works too ;)

i used to litterally follow mine around with a baggie and just get him to poop right into it. LOL

#7 drou1970

drou1970

ilovemyfamily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have a shih-ztu and he doesn't eat his poop and he is 3.5 months so I don't believe it is a shih-ztu trait. I was once told by a friend who is a vet's assistant to change the food, that the food was not filling them up enough or they weren't getting enough, cuz at that time I had a lab that use to eat his poop and other poop too, it is not pretty that they do this then they want to kiss us, yuck...lol. good luck

#8 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

I have a shih-ztu and he doesn't eat his poop and he is 3.5 months so I don't believe it is a shih-ztu trait. I was once told by a friend who is a vet's assistant to change the food, that the food was not filling them up enough or they weren't getting enough, cuz at that time I had a lab that use to eat his poop and other poop too, it is not pretty that they do this then they want to kiss us, yuck...lol. good luck

This is an old wives tale in general. If you are feeding a poor quality food then changing may help but, usually not. A lot of vets will use this problem as a way of getting people to change foods though. Most dogs do it for 1 of 2 reasons 1) learned behaviour from mom who cleans up after puppies. 2) they like it. My dogs have always eaten what I consider top quality food and I have had about half my dogs do this. It all started with one dog we had in for breeding who "taught" others. I had one who was incense about cleaning up after her kennel-mate. I did change foods with them, I also did a number of tests on her to be sure it wasn't biological. It wasn't. She just liked it. ICK!

#9 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Another reason why I don't have a dog. Disgusting animals.

#10 drou1970

drou1970

ilovemyfamily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

This is an old wives tale in general. If you are feeding a poor quality food then changing may help but, usually not. A lot of vets will use this problem as a way of getting people to change foods though. Most dogs do it for 1 of 2 reasons 1) learned behaviour from mom who cleans up after puppies. 2) they like it. My dogs have always eaten what I consider top quality food and I have had about half my dogs do this. It all started with one dog we had in for breeding who "taught" others. I had one who was incense about cleaning up after her kennel-mate. I did change foods with them, I also did a number of tests on her to be sure it wasn't biological. It wasn't. She just liked it. ICK!

well it may be a old wives tale, But in my personal experience I had a lab puppy at the time, he was eating his poop and my friend who is the vet assistant told me to get him better food and it may help him (fill him up more) and guess what I did and he no longer ate his poop. So that is my personal experience and I didn't buy food from the vets either. what makes this a good site is because we all have different opinions and experinces and we can choose to try them or do what we want...

#11 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

well it may be a old wives tale, But in my personal experience I had a lab puppy at the time, he was eating his poop and my friend who is the vet assistant told me to get him better food and it may help him (fill him up more) and guess what I did and he no longer ate his poop. So that is my personal experience and I didn't buy food from the vets either. what makes this a good site is because we all have different opinions and experinces and we can choose to try them or do what we want...

Sorry...I did not mean to offend. I agree 100% and I shared not only my personal (30yrs training and showing dogs) but also my professional (17yrs as a working vet tech) opinion. I will ask, what were you feeding and what did you change to? Changing foods could also work due to them no longer liking the taste of the "recycled" food. As a vet tech I feel it important to make sure people make fully educated decisions that are not based solely word of mouth but, also on scientific fact. I do not see that I said anything that should be taken offense to. I am sorry if you were offended.

#12 drou1970

drou1970

ilovemyfamily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Sorry...I did not mean to offend. I agree 100% and I shared not only my personal (30yrs training and showing dogs) but also my professional (17yrs as a working vet tech) opinion. I will ask, what were you feeding and what did you change to? Changing foods could also work due to them no longer liking the taste of the "recycled" food. As a vet tech I feel it important to make sure people make fully educated decisions that are not based solely word of mouth but, also on scientific fact. I do not see that I said anything that should be taken offense to. I am sorry if you were offended.

I was not offended. I was just posting my personal experience that I had with my dog at the time. I no longer have that dog, lets just say that the food I was feeding him I was told was full of fillers and not good ones, so I changed to a better kind and never went back and when I did he didn't eat his poop anymore. again I was not offended, we all have different experiences and advice and it is up to the person whether or not they listen or do what they want.

#13 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

It has been 4 days now since Jasmine(3months old) ate any poop. She poops on the pee pad and walks away instead of turning around and eating it. I hope its over now :)
Jasmine is eating the same brand of dry dog food that Roxy is being raised on(Nutro Ultra). Jasmine eats the puppy food and Roxy gets the small adult(she's 3yrs.old). Roxy never once attempted to eat her poop.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions :)

#14 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

honestly they're not really eatting it because they're hungry it's a behavioural thing... like keeping the den clean and covering their tracks type thing. Of course my Basset would eat till he litterally blew up so... *shrug*

#15 Sillygirls

Sillygirls

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

I watch the Dog Whisperer all the time, lol. He had a shitzu that was doing that and he said it has something to do with potassium and started giving the dog banana. Everytime, the dog pooped at first he led it away with the banana slice and fed it that instead. He also used banana as reward and treat throughout the day.

#16 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Another reason why I don't have a dog. Disgusting animals.

LOL. Every time this thread bumps up I feel ill just reading the header. :bad

Edited by Danielle, 05 February 2012 - 10:23 AM.