Photo

would you "trade in" your engagement and band set?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

Dh and I will be married for 10 years this july. When he asked me to marry him he chose my engagement ring- when we were picking out wedding bands we went together. we always talked about getting the ̣ther side of my ring ( matches the wedding band) for our 10th anniversary. yesteday we were at the mall and thought we would stop in. we were asking about how much it would be to make the other band- or if they had any similar. well they don`t have anything similar- so it would have to be made- which is fine. then she asked me if i would consider TRADING UP my set. I have been against this- i am a sentimental person. be dh talked me into trying on a few. my set is yellow gold- which if i would`ve picked i would`ve picked white gold- but i love my ring=- beacuse he chose it- and because it has been on my finger through everything. anyways we tried on some- found a beautiful set - very nice- i left my set there- so they could get a price to see how much a band would cost to make.
so my question is - what would you do..... go with a new set or stay with your set...
( i do have my answer already- just wondering what you would do)

#2 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

I would stay with my set. I wouldn't be opposed to a large rock on my non-wedding finger though hahha.

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

agree with Mel. I couldn't get a different set unless something happened to mine. But theres nothing wrong with an anniversary ring.

#4 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

Unless I utterly hated it, then no I wouldnt trade it in, esp 10 years later. If I totally hated I would probably say something then so we could find something together...but by 10 years I would feel sad to see it go.

#5 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

I wouldn't trade up, either. I think through everything those rings remind you of where you started, kwim? I think people are meant to be sentimental about these things! They signify something big!

#6 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

I haven't but not against doing it. I have added a diamond anniversary band. My thing is the ring is symbol only so changing it or not doesn't change the symbol for which it stand for. The memories and the marriage isn't tied to any specific ring. Any ring can be the symbol and it is very individual.

Since upgrading it or not wouldn't change things it become a very individual choice for sure.

One of the main reasons I have't is because in the grand scheme of wants and needs I can't bring myself to spend money on a diamond upgrade. Not saying anything about those who do but it just something I don't need or want to do.

Edited by terbear, 30 January 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#7 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

YOU could always have your original set dipped in white gold.
I love my set (it is white gold) but I love my set b/c my hubby picked it out all by himself. We had to get him another band (b/c he lost so much weight after the wedding) and we had it blessed again by the officiant, b/c I believe in our vows, am sentimental and a little superstitious.

LOL

BUT having another huge rock on the the other hand would work too.

#8 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

nope wouldn't do it. We're married 10 years on Thursday and no where else would i get a ring as uncircular as mine is LOL it's a true symbol of or marriage that no matter how many problems we'll continue on plugging at it. (gag)

#9 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

I'd never ever trade in my original engagement ring. That being said - it's yellow gold single stone and DH knew I had been eying something white gold with three stones lately. For our 10 year - we renewed our vows, all on our own (no official ceremony or anything), and he gave me a whole new set. I like the option of having two sets (and the second set actually fits - the first one I had been wearing on my middle finger after I lost a ton of weight). I could never give up that original ring.

#10 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

Well- considering I am replacing due to theft I'd say if you want to then do it. It is only a symbol of the marriage- doesn't make it or break it. I still have my actual band (thankfully) and I think I would be more crushed at replacing that because it is a combo of my gold band and my grandmothers white gold band. But dh lost his band and we will replace it. We quite honestly are trying to look at it as the upside of the break in. That said- I am choosing something more practical this time around.

#11 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

you know the sad part is that the cost to make the anniversary band is only $400 less than a whole new set ( withe the trade in) and the new set is a larger diamond- and the band has many diamonds.
I CAN"T trade in my set- to me it is sentimental- it means alot to me- I know that if something happened to my set it isn't like we would divorce- but it is Important to me. we started off with it and i want to end with it kwim?
we will definately price out elsewhere to have it made- I was just wondering who ( or if anyone) would upgrade to a larger set or a different set.

#12 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

If you go to the states, there are some good deals over there. Kohl's for example has beautiful wedding sets. OR even Gibraltar trade centre. There are jewelers in there who do great work. My dad had 3 rings made over there. They are amazing. Maybe check the Jewelery Factory in the states.

#13 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

DH's cousin has traded in to upgrade her engagement ring a few times. There are people who do it, I'm just not one of them.

Edited by Ginger333, 30 January 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#14 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

I think having it dipped in white gold is a great idea! It would be the same ring, but with a more modern look! :)

#15 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

I think having it dipped in white gold is a great idea! It would be the same ring, but with a more modern look! :)

well i looked into it and to do it you may need to do it every year?? that seems to be alot

#16 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

I don't think so. Mine was made by mu mom's DH as a wedding gift. If he wanted to re-make it into something else then, maybe, but I would want the same diamonds and gold used. I picked out my set myself and he made it for me. Even now that we re separated, I could not see doing anything with my set. They will be held in trust for T when he gets married.

I could also never trust anyone but my mom's DH or his jeweler friends with my jewelery.

I also don't want to sound derogatory but, find an appraiser after you get your rings back. I know of somebody personally who's diamond was switched out at a local popular jewelery store. I can ask my mom's DH if he knows of any here in Windsor. I always go to London to his friend for my appraisals.

#17 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

easy solution.. keep the original set, get the new one.. have the best of both worlds lol :p

#18 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

I don't think so. Mine was made by mu mom's DH as a wedding gift. If he wanted to re-make it into something else then, maybe, but I would want the same diamonds and gold used. I picked out my set myself and he made it for me. Even now that we re separated, I could not see doing anything with my set. They will be held in trust for T when he gets married.

I could also never trust anyone but my mom's DH or his jeweler friends with my jewelery.

I also don't want to sound derogatory but, find an appraiser after you get your rings back. I know of somebody personally who's diamond was switched out at a local popular jewelery store. I can ask my mom's DH if he knows of any here in Windsor. I always go to London to his friend for my appraisals.

WHAT???? that is terrible!

easy solution.. keep the original set, get the new one.. have the best of both worlds lol :p

HAHA but then i wouldn't get the "trade in " $$$ to actually get the other set silly!! but that would be nice

#19 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

well i looked into it and to do it you may need to do it every year?? that seems to be alot

You don't have to have it dipped every year, I suggested this earlier also, you can get 3 years for sure if not longer without getting them dipped. :)

My engagement ring is going on 3 years now and my band is going on 2 yrs, and they are not even close to being ready to dip again. :)

#20 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." – Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

I don't think I could upgrade if I couldn't keep the original set as well. If I could have both then I would wear the first set on my right hand and the new set on my left.

#21 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

I bought a new set/ but kept my old one, I switch back and forth, I love my original, but I love my "work" and vacation set too, I wouldnt be so upset if something hapened to it.

#22 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

I had my wedding band melt into another double band......:)

#23 Cathy

Cathy

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

get your rings restyled. i had mine done because my mom gave us our wedding bands which included her engagement ring and dh had bought an engagement ring on his own. I had all three rings made into one and i love it. it's very sentimental to me and it wasn't very expensive to have done either.

#24 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Well Let me tell you I love/hate my engagement ring nothing I would have chosen for my self but I love it because SO picked it out! I still wear it. Wouldn't give it up for all the money in the world. it's priceless to me :) Even though it drives me nuts when I get it caught on things...lol

#25 joeyjoey

joeyjoey

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

I've never really liked my set, but I NEVER would let DH know that. I've always looked at other sets and wished...

But when I read your post, and actually imagined handing over my set for a new one, I got a sick feeling in my stomach! I wouldn't be able to do it! I think I have a new appreciation for my ring :)

#26 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

I like my ring but would trade it up. I agree with Terbear - its a symbol of a commitment that matters not the object. I've had the offer to upgrade but refused because I want to wait for our 10th anniversary.

As a side note, I would never go to a mall jewelry store. Most of the time they outsource their design work to China. We deal with Zareh or Abrahams. They are both very talented and have better prices than the chain stores.

#27 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

we will definately be looking at other places. I was not happy with one of the ubove stores a while back- they lost my mom's wedding and engagement ring- and had the odacity to tell her that she is upsetting him. in fact she went with them because they did all the work "instore" and they lost her rings that she had for 25 years. They did infact find her rings months later ( crazy i know) and then they had sautered it together and the band cracked a year into it- and she had to pay $300 to have it repaired - so i would cautiously check there. ( that is where we got dh's wedding band) Anyways I agree - i do sometimes look and say I wish my ring was platinum- BUT I would NEVER change it- for me it is a huge - it is sentimental!!