3 replies to this topic

#1 gardengal

gardengal

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

About 2 yrs ago I saw an online ad for an Essex county breeder of Newfoundland dogs. Now a friend is looking for one and I cannot remember the name of the breeder or where I saw it !! Just wondering if anyone one knows of a local breeder for these gentle giants???
Thanks, Bonnie

#2 Stepmomof2

Stepmomof2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

About 2 yrs ago I saw an online ad for an Essex county breeder of Newfoundland dogs. Now a friend is looking for one and I cannot remember the name of the breeder or where I saw it !! Just wondering if anyone one knows of a local breeder for these gentle giants???
Thanks, Bonnie

I don't believe there is a reputable breeder for the newfoundland around here, we had researched them a few years ago and I believe the closest was near toronto. If she is willing to look at an older dog she should check out the newfoundland rescue they always have some big bears looking for forever homes :)

#3 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

I don't think there are any reputable newfie breeders around here. They may be gentle giants but, they have a LOT of genetic issues. Some there are no tests for. You will want to find a breeder who knows the dogs for at least 4 generations back to know if those issues are present in the lines.

HERE is a link to the Newf club of canada. I always recommend people looking for any specific breed look at the national club site. Most breed clubs have a lot of great info on searching for a good breeder.

There was one person many years (15 or so) ago who had 2 she showed. But, she never did have any litters.

ETA...

Looked quickly at the site and it sucks for info HERE is the American club site link and I have one for their Genetics page also.

HTH!

Edited by Trea, 19 February 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#4 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

the one I know was a rescue pet not sure where he came from but I think it was up past toronto somewhere