6 replies to this topic

#1 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

What do you think about being friends with your boss?

#2 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

It is beneficial in my job.

#3 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

It is beneficial in my job.

HAHA!

I have a bunch of levels of management. Most I don't like, nor do I even acknowledge that they exist.
But I am friends with a few, really good friends with a few more and have been accused of sleeping with one.
/shrugs. I don't think it is a bad thing. I think it can become a bad thing if favoritism is involved.

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

I think that you can be friendly with your boss but, being friends can be hard. I think there needs to be some separation so they can still make decisions based on what is best for the business. If you are friends then that can interfere with their decision making process.

#5 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Overall I have always been pretty good friends with some of my bosses. My former boss & I still keep in regular touch and have dinner/drinks together. I even went to her wedding recently. But there has always never been a problem of mutual respect and the fact that I know ie. they are still my boss therefore despite the fact we may be able to hang out socially, there is still a reporting structure that is something that as well has to be respected.

#6 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

I've been friends with my past bosses when I worked. We'd actually hang out during off time. It didn't change how they treated me at work. I understood that they needed to be professional while on the job.

#7 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

I have always been friendly with all my bosses, as in maintaining a mutual respect for each other and our personal lives. There definetly were professional barriers that we both would ensure we kept up to ensure professional respect was always maintained.