11 replies to this topic

#1 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

So I had an interview on Friday. It went well enough that the Vet wants me to work for him. I am willing to work part time so he is willing to guarantee me 20hrs a week. No problem there. Problems....1) He is offering a lot less than I am worth. 2) he basically wants me on call..nearly all the time. He wants someone available weekends an evenings if necessary. He is basically accepting surgeries anyday, anytime. He says he "tries" to do them within office hours but, on occasion there will be after hours surgeries that I would be needed for. 3) he is not sure he can give me a "set" schedual week to week.

I have no problem with on rare occasion coming in after hours. But, I am not happy about being called in for a "routine" surgery. Very few surgeries are "emergency" really. I also don't mind if my schedual changes a bit weekly, as long as I know far enough in advance to get child care for T.

So, I told him I would consider it. He wanted to talk to his wife/office manager about hours and pay for me. He said he wanted me to come in for another interview with her to see if we could work those issues out. No problem. He asked when I can start. I told him Monday since I have nothing arranged for my son for this weekend. And, since I only have him every other weekend I was very reluctant to give up my time with him. Family is first. I also told him I was not available next weekend at all since I have to be out of town. He seemed Ok with this.

WELL....this morning (Sunday) he called at 9:10 asking if I could come in today for 10. I said I dont' think so. He told me to see and call back in a few minutes. So, I called back. "Sorry, I said I was not available yet this weekend. I don't have care for my son so I cannot come in".

I may have lost the job. What would you have done??

Would you take a job (in a field you love where there are very, very few jobs) for less pay then you are worth and unsteady hours?

#2 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

I wouldn't have come in with that little notice, but offered to come in if I could find care.
If there is so little available in your field, I would take the job in the interim and continue looking. At least you would have some work now

#3 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

That is the way of the world now. With our job market, I had to take less pay, and I drive 40 km each way. It is not right, but I have a family to support, so I had to to do it. I still hope to find a job closer to home. No luck yet though.

#4 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

It's a pickle, but if it were me (single mom with no other support to watch my son) I don't think I would have taken it. My first thought is that the first few times that they want you here in the next hour and you can't arrange child care that you'd lose the job.

#5 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

nope I say being honest is best so you dont burn bridges. You aren't available right now for on call but when your son gets older you might be. so you dont' want to burn that bridge

#6 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

I am seriously considering not taking this job. I could work at McD's for barely less than he is willing to pay. That is a 10% pay cut and less hours per week. Honestly I'd be bringing home less than I am on EI by a few dollars a week! If he can give me a set schedual maybe I'll think about it. It would get me out and working as a vet tech. If he insists on me being on-call 7days a week including evenings I think I will pass. Especially since the hours he wants me cut into my time with T.

#7 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

it is a simple task

weigh the costs of the job and the benefits to YOU

costs and beneifits of any job are very individual so what one person may value another may not.

I have turned down higher paying jobs that had less freedom because I value flexibility and freedom higher than $. Others may not.

Like you said if the value of having the job costs more in other areas the worth of the job becomes minimized.

eta that both my teens are looking at volunteering at places that could lead to future employment vs working somewhere for $. They feel that investment in their future will pay out in the long run vs money in hand now. Not everyone can do that but you get what I mean.

Edited by terbear, 27 February 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#8 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

First you already told him you couldn't come in this weekend and that you could start on Monday...and he is already calling you to come in yesterday. That to me is a sign. And could go one of two ways. Either it's gonna be a pain in the butt OR he'll see what you're actually worth and get you a set schedule with decent pay. KWIM?

Getting paid for what is less then what you are worth really shouldn't be a big deal if priority to you is family first and means of support. KWIM? If you are in need of a job asap until something else comes along I would have taken this one. And when something else comes along I would have given my proper notice. As someone else said, you don't want to burn bridges. But you don't know how things will pan out until you are in the job. KWIM?

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

#9 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

it would depend on how badly the job/income is too you
if the job/income is important i would take it until i found something else that is better suited to your hours/wage expectations
if the job/income isnt that important and you can wait until something else comes along then no i wouldnt take it as working on call all the time is not a good thing and it seems from his description that he would be calling you in often

#10 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the advice. If he calls me back for the second interview with his wife/office manager I will likely go in and talk to her, see what "ground rules" we can come up with. I have always basically worked for less pay than what I am "worth". That is the way it is in this area for vet tech pay. In my last job we actually decided as a group to not worry about raises. Everything else there was "perfect". I have always had a "family first" attitude toward work. I think this is what is bothering me most about this job. As much as they claim to understand that attitude they seem to ignore it. KWIM? I hate hard decisions LOL.

#11 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'd say to try to negotiate better pay or better hours (or both) and if they aren't willing to bend at all then it probably isn't a good fit. In any job there is usually something you have to give a little on, but you shouldn't have to take crappy hours and low pay, especially if you are still on EI and so it's not a matter of putting food on the table or not. However, when EI runs out, if you haven't found something then you will be in trouble, so you have to weigh that too.

#12 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

it is a tough one. Great to get your foot in the door, but you have to make sure this is a good fit with you and your family.