4 replies to this topic

#1 hugsnkisses

hugsnkisses

Member since 2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

I work a few office bullies that drive me crazy! One is a supervisor (I have 10-15 of them at different times) and the other is the same level as me. Even though everyone tip toes around them- they seem to get everything they want...and more. People are afraid to cross them for fear of their power. Most coworkers just can't be bothered with the drama of them and anything around them so they steer clear. That would be easy, if I weren't stuck behind a desk all day. So aside from keeping them close but not too close - how do I deal with them?? I am a happy go lucky person who can get along with anyone but being around them drain me of being "me" ...ugh :(

I guess I am just venting, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#2 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

First off ((hugs)) I've got some of those here too..... in my time dealing with them, all I've found to be truly effective is to limit my time with them the best I can.... I know that I will never hang out or go for drinks with them, and that's fine... but in the day-to-day stuff, I keep my interactions with them to a bare minimum at best, make use of email if I need a question answered, and just grin and bear it... I find I'm using my mom's advice "kill them with kindness" a lot. I will be super sweet with a big smile, faking the whole thing.... but it also really gets under their skin to see that I don't cower before them....

((hugs)) It's certainly not easy... but I will vent out of the office to the girlfriends I know will understand me.... and just let it go......

#3 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

I got one of those as well. Check your harassment policy to make sure you know what the protocols are.

#4 hugsnkisses

hugsnkisses

Member since 2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

First off ((hugs)) I've got some of those here too..... in my time dealing with them, all I've found to be truly effective is to limit my time with them the best I can.... I know that I will never hang out or go for drinks with them, and that's fine... but in the day-to-day stuff, I keep my interactions with them to a bare minimum at best, make use of email if I need a question answered, and just grin and bear it... I find I'm using my mom's advice "kill them with kindness" a lot. I will be super sweet with a big smile, faking the whole thing.... but it also really gets under their skin to see that I don't cower before them....

((hugs)) It's certainly not easy... but I will vent out of the office to the girlfriends I know will understand me.... and just let it go......

That's exactly what I have beenb doing. :)

I got one of those as well. Check your harassment policy to make sure you know what the protocols are.

Thanks! I wouldn't say there is any harassment- but just a whole lot of "wrong" if that makes sense. For example- everyone makes mistakes b/c we are all overwhelmed but if I make one, the one supvr puts it at the forefront so everyone knows. Stuff like that :(

#5 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

I just found this website and noticed an interesting article on bullying in the workplace while looking for something else. Thought that I would share!

http://www.mindtools...e/newCDV_84.htm