30 replies to this topic

#1 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

WINDSOR, Ont. -- Monday night's city budget approved by council may be great news if you're a Windsor taxpayer, but it's terrible news if you're a skunk who calls Windsor home.

One of the last items added to the $730-million 2012 municipal budget was an $80,000 expenditure to initiate a skunk removal program, something administration had recommended against.

The big question is - what do you do with a skunk once you've caught one?

"You can't relocate them ... they don't want them in the county," said Ward 7 Coun. Percy Hatfield.

A supporter of the initiative, Hatfield nevertheless told his colleagues bluntly that they'll have to be honest about what "trap and release" really means.

"You're going to kill them," said Hatfield.

While that may be "fine with some people," he predicts council is opening "a can of worms" in its pursuit of unwanted skunks.

The local humane society used to deal with skunk complaints but ended the practice because of what happened to the critters once they were caged and brought in.

"The tendency is they're euthanized," said Ward 3 Coun. Fulvio Valentinis.

Valentinis, who represents the downtown, described the striped animals as "wonderful wildlife," but he said it's "something residents want dealt with."

His motion to institute the skunk removal program was seconded by Ward 2 Coun. Ron Jones.

Valentinis agreed it was unlikely any Windsor skunk that is caught would end up back in the wild. For one, Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources limits the distance that trapped skunks can be relocated to within a kilometre of the trapping site, according to a report from administration on the subject.

Asked whether it's better to have a dead skunk than an urban nuisance skunk, Valentinis replied: "I'm not gonna go down that road."

It was a close council vote, but none of those opposed to the motion spoke out for or against the skunks or the expenditure suggested by Valentinis for 2012.

Administration was instructed to report back on how a skunk removal program would be implemented with the funding approved this year and to also make recommendations on a longer-term program.

Windsor currently has no skunk or trapping program. Council on Monday night also approved a $75,000 expenditure to spay and neuter feral cats caught in the city.

When it comes to city skunks, the trend in other municipalities is on public education, according to a report by city environmental services manager Anne Marie Albidone.

"Given the geography of our city, euthanasia would likely be the only option," she said in her report.

Albidone's report suggested that mandating hard-sided garbage containers as a means of reducing an easy food source for skunks "may be perceived as intrusive by the public."

http://www.canada.co...5905/story.html

#2 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Give'er. Kill 'em all, I say.

#3 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

maybe they should open a cheap vet clinic for people to bring stray skunks in. I'm sure it would solve the problem, just like it is supposed to solve the stray cat population.

Why is it OK to kill one type of nuisance animal(skunks) but not another(cats)?

Edited by Trea, 06 March 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#4 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

maybe they should open a cheap vet clinic for people to bring stray skunks in. I'm sure it would solve the problem, just like it is supposed to solve the stray cat population.

Bahahaha. Sorry I thought this was hilarious.

#5 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

It was kind of supposed to be lol

#6 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

It was kind of supposed to be lol

Thought so, I just didn't want to assume.

#7 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

To be blunt, I don't care if they kill cats either.

#8 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

To be blunt, I don't care if they kill cats either.

You hate all animals lol.

But I do have to say, what do they expect? We are going to have an over abundance of deer too, since they took away all that land on huron church.

#9 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

I don't HATE them all. I just don't care for them. lol Especially ones that aren't someone's pets and root thru my garbage and shit in my yard.

#10 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

I don't HATE them all. I just don't care for them. lol Especially ones that aren't someone's pets and root thru my garbage and shit in my yard.

Man I wish we had a "like" button!! I so agree!

#11 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

I hear ya on that actually.

#12 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Am I the only one appalled by this? Skunks are important for the ecosystem and really pose no issue IMO. Im more angered by my neighbors who refuse to frk out $12 for a trash can and use dollar store bags that rip and mess and blow into my yard. I guarantee that our resident skunk Oscar who has been around for three, coming on four years now will fall victim since people round here b*tch about him all the time :(

#13 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I think it's terrible too Vals. Not only are we killing living creatures but now everyones going to b*tch because the bug population is going to increase without them being eaten by the skunks. You mess with one part of the eco system, another is going to get thrown off.

#14 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

i think they should descent some and let people adopt them!
i want a skunk. always have!

#15 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

I think it's terrible too Vals.

But I think Windsor has proven too many times they don't care about the wildlife.

#16 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

Couldn't they spay or neuter them like they are planning to do with the stray cats, instead of euthanizing them? Either way, at least they aren't poisoning them or something awful like that like some people do to stray animals :(

#17 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

They actually do pose a threat.

They carry many diseases and parasites that are zoonnotic. leptospirosis would be my primary concern. Then there are Giradia and toxoplamosis as well as being a vector for lyme disease (new on me until I looked it up just now). They pose no less or more threat than the stray cats.

I think euthanizing them will be as effective as all the cats the HS euthanized over the years had. IMO they should just leave them all alone. But then, how is it any different then killing rats and mice? they are part of the ecosystem also.

#18 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

there seems to be a lot of skunks in my area. Never really bothered me but one neighbor I had drove me up the wall complaining about a skunk that would hang out in her yard, mine and the neighbor next to her. But apparently it was all my fault the skunk was there because I had a shed. She wanted me to fork over money to trap it because she couldn't stand the smell coming in her bedroom window :S I laughed at her

I have another one at this house and a opossum that hangs out in my yard at night, I dont really care they are there

#19 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

I think this is insane to kill the animal because it stinks. Why don't they just de-scent and spay/neuter them and release they back. Everyone is so quick to say kill or spay/neuter these "nuisance" animals but people (in general..not on here)forget that london did this alittle more then a century ago because they thought it was the cats and other animals causing diseases and they were not the ones. If this world is not careful we are going to end up causing damage to the ego systems and where will we be then?
Killing the shunk and the stray cats are no the answers. There has to be a better way.

Edited by Crafty Bear, 07 March 2012 - 12:42 AM.

#20 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

i think they should descent some and let people adopt them!
i want a skunk. always have!

My sil had one,cutest pet ever.Unfortunaely it died recently though. His name was Bummer. I too find them to be a nuisance but no more than I find the stray cats to be a pain, and the bees and wasps and mosquitos. If people would clean up after themselves and not leave garbage out everywhere, it might help.

#21 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

They are a total PITA, and although I don't want to see them killed, something does need to be done.
I spent a few long summers constantly smelling like skunk from them being under my house. We have been sprayed (the house) so bad that we were sick to our stomachs and eyes were burning.
And it becomes a problem when they could actually get into the house. And I don't like the kids out at night because they could get sprayed. I won't walk at night in my neighbourhood because they are so bad.
We spent upwards of $500 having them removed and our house meshed to prevent them from coming back.
I get that for some it is not an issue. But some areas of the city are really bad

#22 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

They are a total PITA, and although I don't want to see them killed, something does need to be done.
I spent a few long summers constantly smelling like skunk from them being under my house. We have been sprayed (the house) so bad that we were sick to our stomachs and eyes were burning.
And it becomes a problem when they could actually get into the house. And I don't like the kids out at night because they could get sprayed. I won't walk at night in my neighbourhood because they are so bad.
We spent upwards of $500 having them removed and our house meshed to prevent them from coming back.
I get that for some it is not an issue. But some areas of the city are really bad

I totally agree and have dealt with a lot the same stuff as you!! They are horrible where I live as well and it is sad that even my friends/family are nervous to walk down my street due to the skunks that they have all witnessed once or twice.

#23 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

But then, how is it any different then killing rats and mice? they are part of the ecosystem also.

I only kill rats or mice if they are inside my house. Same as any pest 4, 6, or 8 legged that takes up residence in my home that does not pay me rent, was not born by me, or that I have not deemed to be a pet Lol.

I had a dream a few weeks ago I had a baby pet skunk. I don't think I would ever have one, but I don't wish them harm.

I would be for removing their ability to spray - then releasing them.

I love squirrels, rabits, a skunk that can't spray is cute. I even like raccoons when they aren't after my cat while camping. Vals is right, invest in sturdy refuse bins and dealing with ripped bags is no longer an issue.

Although padlocking the bins in an area where raccoons are prevalent is a good idea. They are crafty little creatures.

#24 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

But then, how is it any different then killing rats and mice? they are part of the ecosystem also.

I only kill rats or mice if they are inside my house. Same as any pest 4, 6, or 8 legged that takes up residence in my home that does not pay me rent, was not born by me, or that I have not deemed to be a pet Lol.

PHEW! Thank God I only have 2 legs! :nana

#25 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

I think this is insane to kill the animal because it stinks. Why don't they just de-scent and spay/neuter them and release they back. Everyone is so quick to say kill or spay/neuter these "nuisance" animals but people (in general..not on here)forget that london did this alittle more then a century ago because they thought it was the cats and other animals causing diseases and they were not the ones. If this world is not careful we are going to end up causing damage to the ego systems and where will we be then?
Killing the shunk and the stray cats are no the answers. There has to be a better way.

The only reason I mentioned the cats was to show that their scheme does not work. It didn't work with cats and it will not work with skunks.

Personally I believe in letting nature take care of itself.

#26 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

PHEW! Thank God I only have 2 legs! :nana

Most of the time.

After a long island iced tea or two that would change *runs and hides*

Even on all fours you would be an approved presence in my home <3

#27 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Well to be honest..they are vectors of some pretty nasty diseases..and since we have done a good job of wiping out their natural predators, just like the deer...we sometimes have to cull wildlife. If you dont you get an imbalance and could potentially cause problems with other species and the ecosystem. I have no problems with culling when warranted, I'm not sure it is warranted yet.

As for the cats... the voucher program is far better then what the Humane society is doing.... esp since to keep it 100% legal and lawsuits at bay, they HAVE TO allow the person who receives it to go to ANY clinic in the city... if they limit where they can go then it is considered steering and that is 100% illegal in the veterinary field and will get clinics shut down, vets in trouble, and possibly the problem kibashed.

But nothing this city does will help with the stray cats... nobody wants them around, so no matter what they do people do not want to spay or neuter a cat and return it back to their neighborhood...they want them gone.... which unfortunately means euthanasia. Honestly....people need to stop feeding them and the city needs to look into oral contraceptives for feral colonies...and continue it for many years..that way in 3 or 4 years, when the adults have died, there are not as many to replace them.

#28 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

I thought and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...

They decided to kill them since removing them from the city and dropping them off in the county is just not solving the problem at all, just letting the county ppl suffer the same way if not more with even more skunks so they claim this is the logical thing to euthanize them.

Cruel as it may sounds I don't want the city's problems and I would rather them euthanize them then drop them off at my place in the county. I am not heartless but just concerned with my families safety since they do carry many diseases.

Sure you can drop them in a natural habitat but when there is no food they will roam into the areas of homes, barns and possibly kill small life stalk if a garbage can isn't around.

Its defiantly a very hard situation and would bet my last $ there will be ppl pissed either way the out come.

#29 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

I think it has more to do with diseases then anything else. Since they can harbour so many things they dont want to spread them... esp rabies, there havent been any cases lately, but preventing the spread of certain animals helps to keep it that way....otherwise they city would not care and would relocate them.

#30 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

The problem is euthanizing doesn't work. It has been proven in colonies of many different species over the years. If you euthanize them they just reproduce more or more move into the area from other areas. It is a predator/prey balance. There is the food to support them and the lack of predators to keep the 'cull' going. The city would have to keep up the euthanasia program for at least 10-15yrs before it showed any 'real' effect. Even then, as soon as it stopped the population would explode within 2yrs again.

There is no "easy" fix.

#31 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne..._medium=twitter

PETA has got involved now.