7 replies to this topic

#1 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

I was going through some of my bazillion links that I haven't looked at in a while and came across this one from the WHO.

WHO Chart

It was interesting to see the dips and spikes in the numbers of cases of things like measles, mumps, and pertussis, like how in 1994 there were over 10,000 reported cases of pertusis, compared to 759 in 2010. Measles had a huge spikes in 1986 and 1989 and last year there were only 99 cases. I like that the chart has Canadian stats.

#2 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

Purtusis is on the decline as a result of the increase in vaccination,especially amoung adults and immigrants. It is interesting to look at the changes and makes me wonder whatnit will look like ten years from now with the increase in immigration and decrease in vaccination use?

#3 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

I'm interested to see that too, Vals!

#4 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Purtusis is on the decline as a result of the increase in vaccination,especially amoung adults and immigrants. It is interesting to look at the changes and makes me wonder whatnit will look like ten years from now with the increase in immigration and decrease in vaccination use?

See, when I looked at the chart I got a different impression. I saw large spikes and dips and small spikes and dips over the last 30 years. There wasn't a steady decline after vaccinations started, but rises and falls in rates all throughout the years. There has been immigration all throughout those years, and vaccination rates if anything would have been lower in the last 10 years or so, yet there were still dips and declines all throughout the 30 years. I'd be interested in hearing other's takes on the chart though.

#5 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Not enough information.... what was immigration rates like each year.... it goes up and down too.

What was birth rates like, what was vaccination rates like as well. What are the age groups like.

Really all that tells me is that those diseases are still around, and anybody not vaccinating their child against them is playing with fire.

#6 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

I'll have to find it again, but I have a graph that shows these illnesses were on the decline even BEFORE vaccinations came into play.

I think as time goes on and we have cleaner everything and more medical research, these illnesses were bound to decline with or without vaccinations.

#7 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

See, when I looked at the chart I got a different impression. I saw large spikes and dips and small spikes and dips over the last 30 years. There wasn't a steady decline after vaccinations started, but rises and falls in rates all throughout the years. There has been immigration all throughout those years, and vaccination rates if anything would have been lower in the last 10 years or so, yet there were still dips and declines all throughout the 30 years. I'd be interested in hearing other's takes on the chart though.

I perceive it the same as you Wendy. I did get a little chuckle at the * note on the polio numbers however

#8 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

I think as time goes on and we have cleaner everything and more medical research, these illnesses were bound to decline with or without vaccinations.

I agree with you. I especially liked this chart because it included rates that are quite current. It would be great if there was a chart showing immigration rates and vaccination rates for each of those years as well, but it's probably safe to guess that for most of those illnesses vaccination rates have dropped significantly in the last 10-15 years, yet the rates don't reflect a dramatic and steady increase in any of the illnesses.