23 replies to this topic

#1 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

A search of Lake St. Clair is underway for a missing girl who fell into the water after the canoe she was in capsized.
OPP, Lakeshore Fire and Rescue, and the Canadian and American coast guards are combing Lakeshore waters by boat and helicopter.
According to a neighbour, two 18-year-olds, a Lakeshore man and his Windsor girlfriend, were canoeing around noon when they fell in the water.
The man was able to swim to shore, but the girl hasn’t been seen.
OPP Sgt. Rick Tonial said the teenagers, who weren’t wearing life jackets, tried to walk back to shore, but became disoriented from the frigid temperature of the water.
“At this point it’s a rescue effort and as time passes it will be a recovery effort,” he said.
Tonial said the man is being treated for hypothermia at Windsor Regional Hospital.
Nancy, a neighbour on the lakeside Lillydale Avenue who asked to be referred to be her first name only, said she and her husband were on there way out when they saw their neighbour by the shore.
“He said he heard a girl calling for help in the water,” she said.
The neighbour then jumped in his boat and unsuccessfully searched the water.
Karen, a neighbour who called 911, said she noticed the canoe and thought it was odd to see out this time of year.
“It was pretty far out. I couldn’t even tell what it was,” she said.
Karen said she had a bad feeling.
Her instincts were right when she heard a man calling for help.
After she called 911 she grabbed blankets for the shivering man who was almost at shore.
Karen said the water is shallow enough to walk from around 150 yards out.
The canoe was far beyond that, she said.
The man was upset and disoriented, she said.
Tonial said emergency crews wrapped him in a blanket.
“He is very upset the girl hasn’t been found,” he said. “It’s not advisable to go out in the waterways at this time due to weather conditions. It’s probably 55 to 60 degrees at which hypothermia can kick in at anytime.”
The search continues.

http://www.windsorstar.com

Edited by sherri, 11 March 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#2 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

pray go out to the family and firends

(what ever happen to lifejacks :( )

#3 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Sad... Why the heck wouldn't they be wearing life jackets?? My thoughts are with her family.

#4 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Very sad!

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Very sad.

#6 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

This happened to a friend of mine up near Oriella (sp??) Her step son was rescued but later died :( he was only 12. And his uncle who was 19, as far as I know is still missing. This was before Christmas..

So very sad :( :( :( Hope they find her soon ...

#7 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

They haven't found her yet. :( So sad for everyone involved.

#8 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

oh sooo sad. :(

#9 AlwaysOnTheGo

AlwaysOnTheGo

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thoughts and prayers for the family and everyone involved.

#10 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

It is not the lack of life jackets that they are saying but rather hyperthermia. The water was only 4 feet when they were walking to shore. The male was very out of it when help arrived.

My thoughts and prayers to all.

#11 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

This is so sad. It's perfectly understandable why someone wouldn't be wearing a life jacket in only 4 feet of water. I've been guilty of the same.

Prayers for the boyfriend and the family. :( Boating tragedies hit close to home for me, as we are boaters. It's easy to forget how dangerous the waters are.

#12 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

This is so sad. It's perfectly understandable why someone wouldn't be wearing a life jacket in only 4 feet of water. I've been guilty of the same.

Prayers for the boyfriend and the family. :( Boating tragedies hit close to home for me, as we are boaters. It's easy to forget how dangerous the waters are.

It said they were out farther than the shallow area though didn't? Either way, it's so sad :( I hope and pray that the man's family and friends support him and help him through this time because he probably is blaming himself right now for what happened. It was a freak accident and I hope he can get whatever help he needs right now to get through what he is going through.

#13 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

It said they were out farther than the shallow area though didn't? Either way, it's so sad :( I hope and pray that the man's family and friends support him and help him through this time because he probably is blaming himself right now for what happened. It was a freak accident and I hope he can get whatever help he needs right now to get through what he is going through.

Yes, on second glance it does say that in this version of the article. Still super sad. It bugs me when people feel the need to criticize those involved in tragedy. Sure, they made a mistake, but the punishment was the ultimate. Tons of people go out into the lake without life jackets and are fine. They shouldn't do it, but it happens all the time. I hope this loss can be a reminder to all of us about water safety and to always respect the lake. :(

#14 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

:( I hope they found her okay

so scary

#15 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Actually.. there are reports that they did find her body :(

Blackburn Radio:

Essex County OPP say they've found the body of 18 year old Amy Wager in Lake St.Clair. She disappeared in the water yesterday while canoeing with an 18 year old man.

#16 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Yeah, they found her body. :( That poor family and her boyfriend. :( So awful

#17 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Yes, on second glance it does say that in this version of the article. Still super sad. It bugs me when people feel the need to criticize those involved in tragedy. Sure, they made a mistake, but the punishment was the ultimate. Tons of people go out into the lake without life jackets and are fine. They shouldn't do it, but it happens all the time. I hope this loss can be a reminder to all of us about water safety and to always respect the lake. :(

I hope my post didn't come across as criticizing because I wasn't trying to do that at all, just saying that they were out in deeper water than 4 feet. I feel horrible for the girl's family, but also for the man who was with her. According to the article he is still just a teen, so young to lose someone he loved in such a way. I hope his family and hers can work through their grief together and support each other through it.

#18 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

I hope my post didn't come across as criticizing because I wasn't trying to do that at all, just saying that they were out in deeper water than 4 feet. I feel horrible for the girl's family, but also for the man who was with her. According to the article he is still just a teen, so young to lose someone he loved in such a way. I hope his family and hers can work through their grief together and support each other through it.

ITA. And I wasn't referring to your post.

#19 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing at all.. just wondering why someone wouldn't be wearing a lifejacket... didn't mean it to sounds critical at all.. I apologize

#20 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I've done a Polar Bear dip a few times, it's incredible how fast the cold water acts on the body. My heart goes out to her family and her boyfriend!

#21 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Ah shit. She's my friends cousin :(

#22 babybumpkins

babybumpkins

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

So sad n could have been prevented:( Amy was my friend Heathers cousin.. Prayers for the family:(

#23 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

So sad n could have been prevented:( Amy was my friend Heathers cousin.. Prayers for the family:(

Yeah, pretty much EVERY ACCIDENT could have been prevented. I guess I don't see the point in saying that. The boyfriend and her family are going to be scarred for life because of this preventable accident. :(

#24 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

I hate that! They also said they would test for alcohol, who the HELL gives a shit at this point? She lost her life in a tragic way, I honestly don't care if they had life jackets, were drunk, were high, WHATEVER, it's pointless and irrelevant at this point!

RIP girl.. Prayers for the family and the bf.. I'm just so sad for everyone involved.