12 replies to this topic

#1 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

We have to put our Jakey kitty down :( We rescued him from a family that told us they couldn't afford to keep him, but I'm sure they gave him away because he was a pee'er. We've had him for 6 years and I love this cat to the moon but we are moving and can't afford to have him peeing anymore :( We've cleaned and thrown out so many things, including an entire livingroom set that he's destroyed. We just bought a new house and spent 6K on furniture for it and I can't have him destroying it. We also have Children First coming into the house for Graces therapy etc and I'm terrified that they are going to smell the pee and call cas.

We've had him checked out several times and each time they tell me there's nothing wrong with him, it's a behaviour. Problem is, it doesn't happen all the time. If it truly was a behaviour, wouldn't he be peeing every day? Things have been happening lately and it all just doesn't add up. He's whining constantly, wants to be held/cuddled all the time (this is a cat that barely liked to be touched when we first got him), and when you pick him up, he smells of urine. He pee'd on the chair yesterday and continued to lay in it afterwards. Healthy cats just don't do that. I honestly think he's really sick they are just missing something :(.

So I thinks it's really in the best interest of everybody if we put him to rest. I feel like an **** for deciding that its his time instead of letting nature decide. After I put my dog down 9 years ago I decided that any more animals would be allowed to pass naturally at home, but I just can't do that. I'm supposed to call and make the appt today but I'm having a real hard bringing myself to do so. I love you Jake :heart

#2 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hugs to you. Where are you moving to?

#3 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

have you tried medicating? Even behaviour does not mean it would happen all the time. It is usually stressed induced. My one cat would pee in the basement whenever we vacuumed.

Clomicalm is wonderful. It is not super cheap but, it also is not super expensive.

You have no reason to feel bad. The move could even trigger him to be worse. Inappropriate urination is the #1 reason cats are given up or euthanized. You are not alone.

#4 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

hugs hugs hugs
praying for you and family
sound like you did a great job by saving him and dealing with his issuse
hugs hugs

#5 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

There is a homeopathic remedy you can pick up for bladder infections-- maybe they are just missing it? I know our cat was doing that (and it did get bad after our break in) and I used it and it cleared up. He does still pee on this occasionally but it was a daily occurance before.

#6 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm amazed that you have put up with it for so long. I couldn't have done it. You have a big heart. Feel comforted that you gave him 6 good years that he may not have had with someone else.

~HUGS during this hard time~

#7 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

:( It sucks, I know. Don't feel like an a-hole. You're not. <3

#8 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

Honestly when it comes to pets, making that decision is the best thing for them.... letting nature take its coarse can be cruel esp depending on what the ailment is.

The only other thing you can do is try for a second opinion at a different vet. If is is behaviour then try daily medication. If it is behaviour it wouldn't always happen. Just look at some of the posts on here from moms with children with behaviour issues ...some days are good, and some are bad, pets are the same.

Dont feel bad, you have to make the right decision for yourself and your family.

#9 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

I feel your pain. Our one boy Amos is a pee'er. He has bladder ssues as well as behavioral so silly things like moping the floor can trigger it. About five years ago he jumped n my lap during thanksgiving dinner an peed. Its trying and if medication fails there is really not a lot you can do. Hugs!

#10 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

He's going in at 4:30pm tomorrow. I've pretty much spent the whole day crying. :( I just don't know what else to do. I love my kitty so much. I'm worried that Zoe (my other kitty) is going to be depressed and lonely with out him. I'm afraid she's going to get stressed out and get sick too. There's a lot going on here in a couple of short weeks. Jake will be gone, in 11 days we leave for 10 days, then 3 days after we come back, we move. I'm terrified we're going to back from Disney and find Zoe dead too :(

#11 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'm so, so, so sorry you are going through this :( Massive hugs to you, let me know if there is anything I can do for you :(

#12 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'm so sorry you have to go through this but you have to do whats best for you and your family. You've been a wonderful pet-parent for 6 years. He's either got a medical issue that the vet is not catching or its behavioural issue. Either way its not a happy life for him or you. Its sad for everyone.

#13 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Ya hard to live with that. I wouldn't have after having a baby just no time to deal with animals