5 replies to this topic

#1 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I desperately need a new resume. My problem is the one I have is excellent for a vet tech job but, there are none out there.

I have no idea how to write a skills based resume. Even looking at templates I just can't seem to be able to transfer my skills from vet tech to general skills. KWIM? I have started to do my new resume up 3 or 4 times now. Each time I get frustrated and put it off again.

Anyone have any tips?

#2 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

I have written many of these when I was teaching at a school that retrained adults into new careers. I have a couple of samples that I could email you that were for friends (not my students) and have all of their personal info removed. If you pm me your email address, I can send them along. Some of them were applying for industry specific jobs, but I still included a section on transferrable skills. Others focused more on these skills.

#3 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

I wonder if Employment Canada has anything or anyone that could help you.......ie brochures, tips, samples, etc at their office.

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

I am going to go to the unemployed help center this week or next. I did get a few samples (thank you mom2nico!) that helped a lot. I think I have a basic idea now I'll just need some polishing help.

#5 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

I am going to go to the unemployed help center this week or next. I did get a few samples (thank you mom2nico!) that helped a lot. I think I have a basic idea now I'll just need some polishing help.

No problem! I really love resume writing (especially for others). If I wasn't totally swamped right now, I'd offer to help more, but I just can't commit to it right now. If you happen to be in the same position in the summer, I will have some free time. (67 school days and counting)

#6 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

I think you want a functional resume style. If you google " functional resume sample" you hould find some good examples. I use to write resumes and tjis wa always a great go to style because it showcaes all your strengths without limiting you to one area of employment.