16 replies to this topic

#1 owen's mom

owen's mom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

we recently got a new puppy and are looking for a great vet in the south windsor area! thanks in advance for your help!!!

#2 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

We deal with south windsor animal hospital on provincial.. We love it there!

#3 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Well....a m2m member works at Devonwood and so did I....Just saying lol

I like Dr Ken as a vet that I will have a very hard time "allowing" many other vets work on my dogs lol. Even when I find another job It will be awhile before I trust that vet enough to let him/her do much else but routine work on my dogs lol.

#4 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

Its not south windsor but I LOVE Malden Rd Vet Hospital. Never anything but positive experiences there. They even went so far as to send a sympathy card when we had to put Jake down. Its so nice that they truly care about their animals.

#5 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

I have had nothing but top notch service for my cat and as a parent at Devonwood on Walker. Having said that since I have moved I will also have to look for a vet in A'burg now since my baby boy hates car rides.

#6 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

Its not south windsor but I LOVE Malden Rd Vet Hospital. Never anything but positive experiences there. They even went so far as to send a sympathy card when we had to put Jake down. Its so nice that they truly care about their animals.

Seconded

#7 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I have had nothing but top notch service for my cat and as a parent at Devonwood on Walker. Having said that since I have moved I will also have to look for a vet in A'burg now since my baby boy hates car rides.

Tracy....Fort Malden. I worked there for a long time. I also like the vet who is there now Dr Watkin.

#8 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

We deal with south windsor animal hospital on provincial.. We love it there!

Me too!

#9 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Tracy....Fort Malden. I worked there for a long time. I also like the vet who is there now Dr Watkin.

Thanks I will be going soon for his shot and flea medication since he is outside now he is trained to stay in the yard.

#10 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

We use forest glad animal hospital

#11 owen's mom

owen's mom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

thanks everyone! we ended up going to south windsor animal hospital...everything went really well and everyone seemed really nice...i wasn't ready for the 170$ bill for his second set of shots and vet check with heart worm pills...yikes~ i hope not all the visits are that expensive!!!

#12 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

thanks everyone! we ended up going to south windsor animal hospital...everything went really well and everyone seemed really nice...i wasn't ready for the 170$ bill for his second set of shots and vet check with heart worm pills...yikes~ i hope not all the visits are that expensive!!!

No, that should be the most expensive until his neuter. It is likely the heartworm medicaion that bumped it up.

What did they give you? We almost always wait until the April visit for puppies heartworm meds. This way we can dose them closer to what they will need without overdosing. All the meds are very safe and we usually still go with their "estimated" adult size anyway. But, since they don't need to start until June 1, we get a better estimate of their adult size at their next visit. We will do flea meds for this time of year though to make sure the dogs are treated before the fleas even come out.

#13 owen's mom

owen's mom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

they gave us heartguard for heartworms and the doc said it is good for other viruses too...said b/c it's been so warm lately and mosquitos are out better to start earlier? what flea med do you recommend? he's a shihtzu 7 lbs 14 weeks old...thanks in advance!!!

#14 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Using flea meds depends on where you live and your tolerance to fleas. There are some flea/heartworm combos out there. I use revolution with all my dogs.

Heatguard IS good for other things. Intestinal worms though, not viruses.

It has been warm but, it has also dropped below 57F. The flea larvae must develop in the mosquito. It must remain over 57F for 14 days and nights straight for that larvae to develop. So, looking scientifically (the way I feel all vets/techs should) there is no reason for preventive, even with the weather we have had.

We ALWAYS see mosquitoes in March. Trust me, I keep an eye on this. Yes, this year there have been more but, they are no earlier then ever!

#15 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

Owen'smom.....Can I ask some questions please?

How much time did the vet spend with you on this first visit. Do you feel you and he are "on the same page" with future medical treatment/prevention for your pup? Did you receive a "puppy package" with information? If yes, did you look at that info? Did they offer to sign you up for a free trial of pet insurance or give you a paper for you do do so yourself?

Kind of market research lol. I am pretty sure there isn't another clinic in the city, besides where I work, that has to warn new puppy owners that their first visit will be about an hour. (It was about 40min 5yrs ago but, we keep finding info we feel is to important to not pass on)

#16 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thought I'd revive this thread rather than start another one. :)

We are looking for a good vet for Medic, our new dog. He's already neutered, but will need a DA2PP booster at the end of this month. We also wanted to discuss getting him the Leptospirosis vaccination.

I know vets are not allowed to advertise pricing, but I wondered if anyone could tell me (or PM me) the avg visit cost for seeing a good vet.

Does anyone have recommendations for vets in the East end of Windsor?

Thanks

#17 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

I would also be interested in a good vet in the east end