28 replies to this topic

#1 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Is Anyone going to see the premiere of The Hunger Games at 12:01?
I am waiting for them to announce show times for this weekend, but so far, all Lakeshore Cinemas has is the 12:01 show tonight.

#2 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

No way!!! There is no way I'd be awake for the whole show and sitting in a packed theater in the middle of the night just doesn't sound fun LOL. I'd like to see it, but we probably won't go for a couple weeks.

#3 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'm with you!!

#4 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

They sold out for the midnight showing as far as I know. My sister got her ticket for tomorrow night weeks ago.

I'm going Saturday night!

#5 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

I want to see the movie, but it'll probably be another couple weeks before I get around to it.

#6 ShannonC

ShannonC

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, I'm going to wait awhile too. I cannot WAIT to see the movie but packed movie theatres are nothing close to what I would consider a good time lol.

#7 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

I can't wait to see it either, BUT, I'm not clinically insane. LOL I will wait a week or two. Trust me, it clears out fast because of all the crazies that go opening weekend! hehe I will avoid this Tuesday as well, like the plague.

#8 Gemma2

Gemma2

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

My sisters are going with their class today. (gr 7 & 8)

#9 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

I can't wait to see it either, BUT, I'm not clinically insane. LOL I will wait a week or two. Trust me, it clears out fast because of all the crazies that go opening weekend! hehe I will avoid this Tuesday as well, like the plague.

Oh Tuesday will be worse than today I think lol.

We are going tomorrow night, but to the latest show at like 10:50. I'm hoping that all the young ones won't be there, and it will be full of adults that want to see it.

#10 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

We're going Sunday night to the IMAX! I'm so excited! My husband wanted to go last night but there was no way I could stay up and be up today for work. It was sold out at Silvercity on the regular screens, but there were still tickets for IMAX when we checked. Our tickets are already bought, so now I just have to wait!

#11 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

I won't go to any movie the first week or two if not a month! I HATE being in a jam packed theater!

#12 luckycharms

luckycharms

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

The mall was a nuthouse last night with teens going to see that.

#13 vmbeetle

vmbeetle

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

They sold out for the midnight showing as far as I know. My sister got her ticket for tomorrow night weeks ago.

I'm going Saturday night!

There was actually about 20 seats in IMAX and 65 seats roughly available for the regular cinema. Those mind you are front row (20 seats most likely single seats.) but surprisingly didn't sell out.
Today it didn't sell out either. On the other hand Tuesday will for SURE sell out with the cheaper priced tickets.
The Hunger Game plastic regular cups are currently sold out and not sure if they will receive any more in. If you want to go Tuesday I would advise you to order your tickets ahead of time.

#14 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'm going with my sister tonight.. Do you think we have to be there very early? We're thinking a half hour should be plenty, since it's a Monday?

#15 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

I know at Lakeshore, they consider it sold out with 15 seats still remaining, as people dont squish in together etc, and even at "sold" out shows, with the 20 empty seats, often there are people standing

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

We might do IMAX to help out chances.. will decide there.

#17 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

We might do IMAX to help out chances.. will decide there.

We did Imax yesterday, and there was lots of seats! And we only went 20 mins early.

#18 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

We just did the regular show at Devonshire last night, and it was fine! It filled up enough, but nothing too crowded and the movie was FANTASTIC!! I loved it! Only crappy part is having to wait until November 2013 for the sequel! They KILL me with that! lol

Now I need a new series to read! Any suggestions? :biggrin

#19 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a scale of 1 - 10 how better is it from the twilight series??? (think I know the answer lol)

#20 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

going tonite, well some of the kids are going to see it the others are going to see the lorax.

#21 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a scale of 1 - 10 how better is it from the twilight series??? (think I know the answer lol)

You can't compare Hunger Games to Twilight, they are TOTALLY different. Hunger Games is much more violent and graphic in nature, and the subject matter is more mature as well.

The Twilight movies are nowhere near as good as the books, IMO, they didn't have the same draw at all, and lost most of the appeal (expect for the last movie). Hunger Games the movie is basically just as good as the book was, to me.

Edited by Jill, 27 March 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#22 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

so would a 10 yr old be ok to go see it. He watches csi so he watches some gruesome stuff. Its pg, thats why I'm wondering.

#23 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

In my opinion a 10 yo could certainly handle Hunger Games. I found that there was more "suggested" gore than real gore. Like you knew that something bad was happening, but they didn't do a lot of close-ups or anything.

I liked the movie, but if I hadn't read the books, I think I would have been dissapointed. My dh has not read the books and I had to fill him in on the stuff that they sort of left out of the movie. Without being in Katniss' head, you aren't always exactly sure of what is going on..... I won't put spoilers, the story was kept in-tact with some small omitions!

#24 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

I personally wouldn't take my 10 year old to it, because I think the subject matter is not fit for that age group, but that's a "to each his or her own". It's your call. I just think the kids killing kids thing is a bit much. They do a lot of very fast scenes so you aren't seeing a lot of the actual killing, but it's very clear what is going on. It's a heavy subject matter. I don't keep my kids from a lot of stuff, and I am not too strict with what they watch, but I wouldn't go out of my way to introduce my kids to this. Also, I agree, if you didn't read the book, you're bound to be pretty lost.

#25 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

thanks, then maybe he should see the lorax instead. My odd has read the whole series so she's excited to go, but the rest will come with me.

#26 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

I don't want to sway you one way or another, though I do stick to my thought that if you haven't read the book, you'll be a bit lost!

#27 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

Guess its pointless for me to go see it, have never even heard of it till the movie was due to come out.

#28 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

The book only takes two days to read if you're really into it. lol My husband didn't get why I was so into it since he is a non-reader ... until I got him to read it. He's now on chapter 7 of the second book! It was a very good movie, but I do agree that if you haven't read the book, there are just a lot of little details missing that would help it make more sense. They did a great job staying very true to the book, but there are just things that will never come out the same in a movie. My husband was very glad he had read it before going to see it. It's a first for him.

As far as kids, there were definitely some young ones there that I thought were a bit too young. That being said, I think if the child has read the book, then they should be fine. There really wasn't much as far as gore. A lot of the victims didn't even have blood or much blood on them. If they've watched CSI, they've probably seen worse. And as far as the content, well, if you've allowed them to read the book, then they've already been exposed to the content. It could be a little much for some, but you just have to know your kids. I wouldn't take them if they hadn't read it though because they would definitely be lost.

#29 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

I have a friend who is a school teacher and he read the book to his grade 4 class last year.. My daughter is 10, and I took her and her friend today after school. If they have seen Harry Potter, than this isnt much worse..