7 replies to this topic

#1 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

I originally bought some Vega for days when I was in a hurry and needed a quick "meal" and to add to smoothies for extra nutrients. I've since started drinking a smoothie with 1 scoop of Vega in it each morning and I can't say I notice a difference in my health or energy, but I'm generally pretty healthy and energetic anyway, however I do think the extra vitamins and minerals are good to add to my diet. It has plenty of protein from healthy sources (hemp, yellow pea, brown rice, flax seed) instead of cheap whey or soy protein sources, plus 100% of the RDA for things like iron, calcium, Vit B12 and B6, Vit C, and many more. With half a scoop that gives me 50% of my RDA of tons of good stuff, plus it has maca, chlorella, Omegas and just tons of other healthy stuff in it.

Even if you aren't vegetarian or vegan, it's considered to be an excellent supplement for anybody. The big catch though is that it's pretty pricey, but I'm posting because the company has changed their formulation (took out a few things and added a few others, but the main difference is that now 1 serving gives you about 50% of all the vitamins and minerals that a serving of the current product gave you - ie. they're giving you less but charging you close to the same amount boo). I find 1/2 serving of the previous product per day is plenty and so you could make a tub of it last twice as long, whereas with the new formulation you can't.

Anyway, one benefit of the change is that the "old" formulation is on sale at some places at a significant reduction, so if anybody is interested in trying VEGA out, now's a good time. Nationalnutrition.ca has two small tubs on sale for $37 (they ran out of the big tubs, so they are giving two small tubs to almost equal a big one) - previously it was around $60 for a big tub. I ordered a bunch to stock up for the next long while a) because the "old" formulation is a better value and b) because it's on sale right now.

Here's the old forumation:
http://www.nationaln...il.aspx?ID=2713

Here's the new:
http://www.nationaln...il.aspx?ID=5692

Edited by emmsmama, 27 March 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#2 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I found this link that has a listing of all the vit. and minerals and ingredients and such that may be helpful.

http://www.iherb.com...39-g/12376?at=0

#3 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but the Vega Shake & Go Smoothie packagesare on sale at Nationalnutrition.ca for $14.99 and it isn't advertised on their website, but for this month they have a "buy 5, get one free" deal on the smoothies. This is the best price I've ever seen them for, so I ordered 10 of them last week and got two free. They have Tropical, Berry, and Almond Vanilla flavours in stock.

Btw, I don't get any kind of bonus or kickback or benefit for recommending Vega products or the Nationalnutrition website, I'm just sharing because it's a great deal. I read a bunch of reviews on the smoothie mixes and the tropical one seemed to get the best reviews.

#4 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

I cant use vega because I cannot have some of the ingredients in there,but i wanted it point out at the walmart eastside had whey protein in HUGE TUBS for 15 bucks last week(east side).Its for days when I just need the kick of protein...nothing else,or when im adding handfuls of flax or chia.I get my chia pretty cheap at well.ca..
I normally use non gmo brown rice protein from prairie naturals which ia 24.99 a small tub...but I have yet to find anything cheaper.Have you heard of other brands that dont contain all the extras that are reasonably priced?

#5 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

I cant use vega because I cannot have some of the ingredients in there,but i wanted it point out at the walmart eastside had whey protein in HUGE TUBS for 15 bucks last week(east side).Its for days when I just need the kick of protein...nothing else,or when im adding handfuls of flax or chia.I get my chia pretty cheap at well.ca..
I normally use non gmo brown rice protein from prairie naturals which ia 24.99 a small tub...but I have yet to find anything cheaper.Have you heard of other brands that dont contain all the extras that are reasonably priced?

I haven't tried it, but Sun Warrior is supposed to be really good. I've also heard good things about Green Superfood, though that also has lots of extras in it from the looks of it.

There is also Hemp Protein or Pumpkin Protein.

My understanding is that whey protein is the cheapest, but not the healthiest protein powder option, even for those who aren't vegetarian or vegan. The rice protein you mentioned sounds healthy.

#6 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

oh ty!!!!i like the looks of sun warrior :)

the pumpkin one looked good,but the warning to not swallow it dry made me nervous....lol

I have a friend going totally raw vegan,and I personally think shes crazy cause of how much time it take to prepare her food,but i certainly wouldnt mind some raw protein in my diet :)

#7 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

the pumpkin one looked good,but the warning to not swallow it dry made me nervous....lol

I have a friend going totally raw vegan,and I personally think shes crazy cause of how much time it take to prepare her food,but i certainly wouldnt mind some raw protein in my diet :)

Yeah, vegetarian was my first step and then vegan may be my next and I may dabble in raw food recipes, but I can't imagine myself going raw vegan. I'm sure once you got into the lifestyle it'd be much easier, kind of like the first time you try a new recipe it often takes a long time to get it all together, but then after you've made it several times then it's much quicker and easier.

The pumpkin probably had that warning because it could make you gag and you could inhale it if there is no water content, kind of like that cinnamon dare kids are doing nowadays, which is probably the same for any powder.

#8 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Lmk how you like the Sun Warrior stuff if you give it a try.

I've ordered through iHerb numerous times as they often have the best price, even with shipping cost from the US, just make sure you choose USPS or DHL if you order from them. I usually try to wait until I have a bigger order of stuff I want to make the shipping worth it, but it's $18 cheaper at iHerb than NationalNutrition right now, so that's a pretty good savings, especially if you are buying other stuff as well.

If you do order from iHerb, if you use this link then you will get $5 off your first order.