3 replies to this topic

#1 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

Has your dog started to shed yet with this warm weather we've had?

#2 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

Actually the only reason I agreed to take my pup was because I was told he doesn't shed at all. So far I've never found any fur anywhere! His bed is made of a black, velour-type material and you would think it would be covered with fur but it never is! Considering I got him last July I guess we'll see if he really does shed or not as the warm weather approaches.

#3 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

my dog has "hair" instead of fur. so no shedding here- But what i do find is bits of hair in dustballs-lol

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

UGH! Yeah..........I am kind of glad I am down to one at my house. The Akita and the Husky last year made it look like snow.

BTW.....Shedding is also hormonally controlled. Temperature has little to do with it for "coated" breeds. This is why people will notice their spayed/neutered dog shedding anytime. Some will "roll coat" instead of blowing it even.

I have one husky who has not blown coat in 4yrs...and he is intact! I had one, neutered, malamute who I could set the calendar by...Dec 2 every year I would notice him beginning to blow out his coat.

I always have dogs at all stages of "blowing" coat. It seems that the ones I show will always lose coat right before the biggest show of the year. If I decided to do the big summer shows, or the big winter shows....they are always blowing coat!