What do you feed your dog?

#2 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

I used to feed my dog Natural Balance vegetarian formulation when I lived close to the border and could get it at a good price, but now I feed him the Costco brand. I've checked the ingredients and they are better than many "top" brands even and it's very economical, so that's a nice bonus. The closest Costco to me now is 1.5 hrs. away, but whenever I go to Ottawa I make sure to stop there if I'm getting low on the Costco dog food.

#3 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Acana

http://www.championp...new.php?sku=alb

#4 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Actually I have a question about this. Is it ok to switch foods from time to time or should I stick to the same type all the time? He eats dry dog food and I've tried quite a few different types. Some he loves, others not so much. I've also tried giving him the wet stuff as a treat but he never touches the stuff!!

#5 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

we feed blue buffalo. and just a note if you buy any of your pets food at petsmart- they price match the us petsmart price as long as you print it out from petsmart.com- i just check periodically for sales then print it out.

#6 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Roxy eats Nutro Ultra

#7 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

I currently feed the one at my house LIfetime Canine plus.

I prefer Eukanuba above all others though.

I almost never switch foods with my dogs except for medical reasons. OR, if I find a "really" good reason to switch. People will create a picky eater themselves by switching foods. I see it all the time.

I was given 6 months of a food that a company introduced. The dog LOVED it. I didn't. When I ran out I went back to Eukanuba. She refused to eat it. She would go days without eating. I tried to get my BF to just not give into her. I've been through this before. He wouldn't do it. She didn't lose much weight even. When that bag of food was finally done I decided to try 1 other food, since I'd been planning on trying it anyway. She still doesn't "want" to eat it. Mind you she does not because I decided she "Would" eat it. I refused to doctor it, she got no treats and we kept strictly to her feeding schedule. She still skips about a meal a week in protest but, she has come to realize....eat or starve. (No healthy dog will willingly starve itself BTW)

I like to support the companies that do the research. The ones who test the food before it goes in, and when it comes out. I know they are building food based on the nutrients the dogs need, and absorb. Not based on some latest fad.

Like...the anti-corn thing. Did you know that corn gluten is 100% protein and 99% digestible? Why is that "bad"? Corn gluten is not used for human consumption. It is an inexpensive, quality protein that does not affect the human food availability. Therefore it is also a sustainable ingredient!

#8 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Harringtons natural dry food :)
Its ingredient list impresses me,its affordable,and I can get it at walmart.The dogs love it

http://www.harringto...d.com/home.aspx

#9 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Actually I have a question about this. Is it ok to switch foods from time to time or should I stick to the same type all the time? He eats dry dog food and I've tried quite a few different types. Some he loves, others not so much. I've also tried giving him the wet stuff as a treat but he never touches the stuff!!

I don't switch my dog's food often, usually because if I find something that seems to be good quality at a reasonable price then I have no reason to switch, but also because my dog doesn't always react well when I switch. When I originally switched him off of Pedigree, which is what I was feeding him for quite some time before I realized it's really poor quality, I tried a few different foods and they would make him itch and his hair fall out, even really expensive foods. I was feeding him Canidae for a while but then read some negative stuff about that and switched over to the Costco brand and would mix with the Natural Balance vegetarian formula. Where I'm at now it's too expensive for the Natural Balance stuff, so I use the Costco brand.

we feed blue buffalo. and just a note if you buy any of your pets food at petsmart- they price match the us petsmart price as long as you print it out from petsmart.com- i just check periodically for sales then print it out.

I'm no longer near a Petsmart anymore, but I will definitely check the website next time before I go to Ottawa to see if they have Natural Balance on there for a decent price.

#10 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Blue Buffalo for the dogs and Royal Canin for the cat. We would have bought Blue Buffalo for the cat when he was only a couple weeks old, but our pet store didn't have "baby cat" food like Royal Canin.

For our other dogs, we switched between Kibbles & Bits, Pedigree, or whatever was on sale, as I thought they all were the same. Then when we adopted the Bischon, our lab-mix was having medical issues that her food had a small part in playing. Did research and went with and will stay with Blue Buffalo.

This here reminds me of the High Fructose Corn Syrup controversy with human food.

.....Like...the anti-corn thing. Did you know that corn gluten is 100% protein and 99% digestible? Why is that "bad"? Corn gluten is not used for human consumption. It is an inexpensive, quality protein that does not affect the human food availability. Therefore it is also a sustainable ingredient!

I just know that since we have been giving the dogs Blue Buffalo, not as much waste out back to pick up, not as much gas coming out of the dogs, and they seem to be fuller with less food. I don't know if there is anything to it or not.

#11 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

I am sure Blue buffalo is a good food. I see lots of dogs on it who do well.

My question is though, what did you switch from that it decreased the stool?

The only commonality I see with the high fructose corn syrup in people food and the corn gluten issue in dog food is lack of knowledge. People in the western world are getting fatter. HFCS is something a lot of people don't know is high calorie. Corn gluten is nutritious but, has gotten beat up from companies who spend money on advertising to tell people corn is evil. It is NOT. If it was many cultures would not flourished like they did! Corn was and still is the mainstay of many diets of many people.

Anyway.....A "good" food is one YOUR dog does well on.

I like to support the companies that put the research into new, better foods. They are the ones who will bring out the next diet for kidney disease, cancer, aging......whatever. I don't see any of these trendy ones doing anything but make more money. They put nothing into the future of pet feeding.

#12 Guest_rjblankets_*

Guest_rjblankets_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

From previous arguments between other posters on this sub forum I know my choice in dog food is "frowned upon"....but after A LOT of research, and first hand experience feeding my dogs I have had in the past, I have found (IMO) the dog food that I feel is best for my dogs. I believe ALL dogs are Carnivorous and need a carnivorous diet, this is why I choose to feed a very high protein, no carb diet to my dog.

I feed Orijin and switch between their taste variety after each bag. Even though Orijin is quite expensive for their largest bag of dry dog food, I can justify the price as I have 1 dog and a large bag will last me 3+ months (I found that after switching her from the other brands, she was eating A LOT less of Orijin (maybe due to less fillers?), which results in me spending less for dog food). Also,1-3 meals a week is RAW (bone in of course), but I don't calculate this in the overall cost of my dogs food as I give her exactly what my family will already be eating that night (meat with bone only), I just don't cook it.

As a side note, from my own personal experience, every dog I have owned has either had major health issues (can be due to anything from diet to genetics), major teeth issues (plaque build up from the food), and just lethargic, over weight (even on the specialty weight loss diets from the vets, and cutting back their food while increasing exercise), smelly, bad breath, etc. My dog I have now, after switching her to Orijin and RAW when she was 1 years old, is in the peek of health. Even at 5 yrs old, her teeth are sparkling white with no tartar build up of any kind (my vet solely attributes this to her RAW diet), very muscular, and trim with no body fat. My dog is my poster child (IMO) of what a very well balanced diet does for a dog, and I try (unsuccessfully mind you) to educate people on dog food. And in reality, it has nothing to really do about which brand is better (except for Ole Roy....to me, that's similar to feeding your dog big macs for the rest of its (sometimes short) life), its about seeing your dog healthy, happy, fit, and exuberant. That's what truly matters IMO, not the brand, but the results.

#13 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

From previous arguments between other posters on this sub forum I know my choice in dog food is "frowned upon"....but after A LOT of research, and first hand experience feeding my dogs I have had in the past, I have found (IMO) the dog food that I feel is best for my dogs. I believe ALL dogs are Carnivorous and need a carnivorous diet, this is why I choose to feed a very high protein, no carb diet to my dog.

I feed Orijin and switch between their taste variety after each bag. Even though Orijin is quite expensive for their largest bag of dry dog food, I can justify the price as I have 1 dog and a large bag will last me 3+ months (I found that after switching her from the other brands, she was eating A LOT less of Orijin (maybe due to less fillers?), which results in me spending less for dog food). Also,1-3 meals a week is RAW (bone in of course), but I don't calculate this in the overall cost of my dogs food as I give her exactly what my family will already be eating that night (meat with bone only), I just don't cook it.

As a side note, from my own personal experience, every dog I have owned has either had major health issues (can be due to anything from diet to genetics), major teeth issues (plaque build up from the food), and just lethargic, over weight (even on the specialty weight loss diets from the vets, and cutting back their food while increasing exercise), smelly, bad breath, etc. My dog I have now, after switching her to Orijin and RAW when she was 1 years old, is in the peek of health. Even at 5 yrs old, her teeth are sparkling white with no tartar build up of any kind (my vet solely attributes this to her RAW diet), very muscular, and trim with no body fat. My dog is my poster child (IMO) of what a very well balanced diet does for a dog, and I try (unsuccessfully mind you) to educate people on dog food. And in reality, it has nothing to really do about which brand is better (except for Ole Roy....to me, that's similar to feeding your dog big macs for the rest of its (sometimes short) life), its about seeing your dog healthy, happy, fit, and exuberant. That's what truly matters IMO, not the brand, but the results.

I feed a lot of RAW, too. :) :friends

#14 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

I think dogs are actually omnivorous, whereas cats are definitely carnivorous.

I've heard great things about Orijin and have also tried B.G. I think it was from For Your Fur Kids, but my dog must be sensitive to something in certain foods because he gets itchy and his hair falls out on certain foods, even the pricier ones. He did fine healthwise on Pedigree, but it's cheap fillers and crap, so that's why I switched him from it years ago and then I tried several "high end" foods before finding that the Costco brand didn't give him issues and the ingredient list was good. Natural Balance he also did well on but it's not as easy for me to get now. I also used to give him some kind of raw pellet things from For Your Fur Kids, but haven't been doing that since moving away from Windsor. He LOVED those!

And in reality, it has nothing to really do about which brand is better (except for Ole Roy....to me, that's similar to feeding your dog big macs for the rest of its (sometimes short) life), its about seeing your dog healthy, happy, fit, and exuberant. That's what truly matters IMO, not the brand, but the results.

I agree with you on this that brand doesn't matter much, but quality. The thing with my dog is that besides getting itchy and his hair falling out, I wouldn't really be able to tell from his food whether it was the best for him because he's never had weight issues and is generally quite active and healthy; even at 12 yrs. old he's still got tons of pep in him!

#15 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Orijen

I used to use Royal Canin, but made the switch a while ago, but it makes it difficult to get it if i dont buy it before it runs out... they only sell it at for your fur kids and Petwise, ( that i know of) nowher ein Aburg sells it

#16 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

I used to feed my dog Natural Balance vegetarian formulation when I lived close to the border and could get it at a good price, but now I feed him the Costco brand. I've checked the ingredients and they are better than many "top" brands even and it's very economical, so that's a nice bonus. The closest Costco to me now is 1.5 hrs. away, but whenever I go to Ottawa I make sure to stop there if I'm getting low on the Costco dog food.

really? hmmmm

I used to feed the high end dog food to my bassets... one died of a twisted stomach at age 3 or 4 and the other at every fricken thing he could get into his mouth anyway. I'm really not about to start to spend a lot of money on this one that I now have right now when really did it do the last two any good??

#17 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Ours eats Merrick's. I have no idea how good of a food it is but he has been eating it for 2 yrs before we got him so I dont think switching would be a good idea

#18 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

really? hmmmm

I used to feed the high end dog food to my bassets... one died of a twisted stomach at age 3 or 4 and the other at every fricken thing he could get into his mouth anyway. I'm really not about to start to spend a lot of money on this one that I now have right now when really did it do the last two any good??

Bloat and torsion is more or less genetic. If a dog is predisposed s/he may get it. If they are not they will not. Bassets are one of the breeds it is common in. I have had friends lose dogs to bloat on many different brands, raw and barf. The actual cause not know. Only that it tends to run in some "lines" in some breeds and not in others. They are working on the genetics behind it.

Most foods will cost the same over a lifetime no matter the "quality". Generally you feed more of cheaper foods and have more health issues so they can actually cost more to feed in the long run (in general)

Note also....some of these trendy brands are very high in protein. Recently in behaviour circles too high protein is being blamed for behaviour issues. I have not seen research on it but, most trainers who keep up with recent trends and studies are suggesting to not feed these foods to hyper or aggressive dogs. I discuss feeding with all my puppy buyers. I always tell them my views. I have had more than one decide to go with trendy foods and, though the dogs seem to do well on these foods, I just had one of my puppy buyers switch off Orijen because they are having issues with their other dog (from a backyard puppy producer.) The discussion I and the vet I work for had with the buyer had me laughing. He basically said everything I had said when he got his pup from me 4yrs ago LOL. I looked at him and said "Talk to the hand".

#19 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Also, dogs are not carnivores. We have bred them over many, many, many generations to be less carnivorous. Also, looking at their tooth structure proves "nature" has them as omnivores. Cats have sharper tearing teeth. Dogs have large, flat teeth in the back that are good for grinding. Meat is not ground in the mouth, plant material is.

WILD dogs are much more carnivorous than domesticated dogs. Wild dogs will still graze though on plant material. Why? because their nature demands it. Why? because they have a biological need to do so for nutrients. Wild dogs have a much higher protein need though. Then need that aggression and hyperactivity to survive. Domesticated dogs do not. Domesticated dogs do not need a high carb diet anymore than humans do. But, they do need carbs and plant material in their diet to promote good digestive health.

I have seen coyote prints in my garden, along side missing plants btw. This leads me to believe that the wild dogs in my yard are eating my plants. So do the cats though lol if I plant things that attract them. But, they are not true hunters. The cats are feral cats, not wild cats, who are fed a man-made food as well as the protein they occasionally hunt to supplement their diet. I have also seen grain mixed in the coyote scat in my yard. (I know gross!) along with the hair they pass after eating a whole carcass. (poor rabbits and feral cats)