11 replies to this topic

#1 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Ė Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

Here's a link to Alicia Silverstone's blog where she posted about how she chews up food for her baby and feeds him momma-bird style and that it's a fairly regular thing because now he often goes for her mouth when he sees her eating.

http://www.thekindli...-with-baby-bear

What do you think? I just don't get why she does it? Plus I do agree that it could introduce bacteria into his mouth that wouldn't naturally be there. Plus, the idea of chewing up food and spitting it into my child's mouth grosses me out. I'm pretty open-minded, but I really don't get this at all.

#2 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

I admit I have chewed things up for the kids and given it too them if they saw me eating something and I knew they wouldn't be able to handle it on their own. But I dont think I would even go as far as to sit down every feeding and do so

#3 joeyjoey

joeyjoey

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Strange......

And, what did you think of her description of the meal? I like to pride myself in eating & cooking healthy, but I don't even know what half of those things are!

#4 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

I'm no longer interested in eating today....

Ewwww....yes it's going a little too far in my opinion.

#5 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

how odd! but if it works for her and the child that who are we to judge. I mean I would never consider feeding my child that way but if her child and her are happy and healthy that whats the big deal? Buts defintly odd!

#6 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

And, what did you think of her description of the meal? I like to pride myself in eating & cooking healthy, but I don't even know what half of those things are!

I knew what most of the food was, though I haven't cooked everything in that list. I wish I would have introduced different things like that to my kids when they were younger though, to expose them to different flavours and textures and dishes, but then again back when my kids were babies I didn't know what most of that stuff was lol.

how odd! but if it works for her and the child that who are we to judge. I mean I would never consider feeding my child that way but if her child and her are happy and healthy that whats the big deal? Buts defintly odd!

I don't think it is healthy to feed a child that way. I've read before that there are bacteria in adult's mouths that aren't in children's that can cause tooth rot and other problems. Plus I just don't get why she would feed him that way anyway. I don't think it's awful that she does it, but I don't think it's healthy and I don't understand why she does it. I could see maybe once in a rare while (I wouldn't do it, but I could see a parent doing it if they are out and slightly chewed something up to give it to their baby because they weren't at home with a blender or knife handy to cut up the food), but I don't get why someone would do it as a regular way to feed their child.

#7 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

gag

#8 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

not for me....
I cant even finish my food or drink if ANYONE even my own DH or kids takes a bite or drink....
Im a huge bacteria germaphobe... I dont want to be.

I remember a year or so ago, my lrg water bottle, My YDS must have took it, and started drinking without me noticing, well I went to take a big swig, and BARF... ( yep barfed till I couldnt no more)
first off i noticed my water was chunky ( not sure what backwash it was) then my lips had a slime like to them , of coarse he had a cold, so I assume it was snot..... So you see why i barfed continuosly after....

#9 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Like I said I wouldn't do it but to each their own. I'm sure that she has had the baby checked out by a doctor and if they say its healthy then I really don't get the big deal. Its gross but its not harmful as for as we know.

#10 Rebekah

Rebekah

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Apparently she's unaware of the danger she's actually doing to her kids mouth.

See here:

tooth decay is a bacterial infection and you can spread it from one person to another during the window of infectivity, which is during infancy and especially during the time of tooth eruption. Thatís when the teeth are most vulnerable. Itís as if you had a bad cold and were kissing your child, you would spread the cold virus.

#11 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

Apparently she's unaware of the danger she's actually doing to her kids mouth.

See here:

tooth decay is a bacterial infection and you can spread it from one person to another during the window of infectivity, which is during infancy and especially during the time of tooth eruption. Thatís when the teeth are most vulnerable. Itís as if you had a bad cold and were kissing your child, you would spread the cold virus.

I knew I had read something about tooth decay and sharing food with babies and toddlers, thanks for the info. When my kids were younger I did sometimes share food from my plate, but I would try to take from the part I hadn't eaten from yet. Still, I guess that could have introduced adult bacteria into their mouth, but I didn't chew it up first and then spit it into their mouths.

#12 KenKen

KenKen

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Sounds like a traditional Ferengi household..

Posted Image

Anyone?