21 replies to this topic

#1 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Just curious. I tend to bathe him about once a month or the dog smell starts to take over. Can't stand that. Is this too much? Too little?

#2 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

I give Roxy a bath once, in between groomings which is about every six weeks. She is a shih-tzu and needs brushing a lot.

#3 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

I only wash my dog a couple times a year. He is a boxer, and is quite clean and doesn't smell at all. I don't think you're supposed to wash a dog that often? Not sure, though..

Edited by Jill, 31 March 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#4 Guest_rjblankets_*

Guest_rjblankets_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

The only times I feel it is necessary to bathe my dog is when she runs into the creek after ducks...then she smells REALLY bad. Otherwise, she is never bathed. Her diet doesn't give her the funky dog smell, her short coat is always gleaming and soft, she never has skin issues, and I do her nails only in the winter b/c she isn't outside running beside the bikes (she does not handle anything below 10 degrees well).

#5 momof4now

momof4now

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

I give my Shih tzu a bath once a week!

#6 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

My dog usually only gets a bath in the spring and summer when he gets shaved at the groomer's. He doesn't get a funky dog smell and the one time I did give him a bath his hair ended up all matted and tangled (he's an American Eskimo/Pomeranian mix and so he gets really long fur).

#7 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

What shampoo do you use? I'm concerned about dry skin if i give Roxy a bath that often.

#8 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Most people who have dogs say my dog doesn't smell regardless of how long it's been since he had a bath... but to me he does after a month or so of not having one. Maybe it's just because I've never owned a dog before so I'm not used to it or something. lol. I can almost always recognize that 'dog smell' when I'm in someone's home who owns dogs, especially big ones. I find his fur grows really fast so I give him a trim every few months and definitely bathe him then, but also in between just to keep him clean and smelling nice. :)

#9 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

I never recommend bathing more than once a month. Weekly, if you are using any sort of shampoo is usually too much.

If your dog smells too "doggy" after a couple of weeks maybe consider a food change. Poor quality foods can affect the secretions in their skin. Fish based foods can make a dog stink too. You may also want to talk to your vet. There could be a medical reason for the smell.

Now, if you have a hound, that is different! LOL. I could never own most hounds because I can't stand their smell. But, for me, part of having a dog is accepting all that goes along with it, including the occasional doggy smell.

I bathe my house and kennel dogs twice a year. My dogs I am showing I will not bathe more than once a month. Though, I will give them a "rinse off" every 2 weeks if we are doing a lot of shows because I use things like mousse and other products in their hair. It gets kind of gooey after awhile.

In the summer I also wet down my dogs if we are outside a long time.

#10 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

I think a lot has to do with the breed. Beagles are known to have a funky smell and although mineisnt as bad as some, she needs a bath once every 6 weeks or she smells "doggy". Our Golden gets a bath at the change from Spring to Summer and atthe end of summer before it goes cold. Other than that,in between baths are due to unforseen incidents involving mud puddles, ponds, bogs, boat ramps and dirt holes :)

#11 momof4now

momof4now

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

What shampoo do you use? I'm concerned about dry skin if i give Roxy a bath that often.

I use "Tropiclean" it's hypo-allergenic and my Vet recommended it! I'm not a pet person (until 3 weeks ago when we got Belle), so I have to have a clean dog at all times!!! lol

#12 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

I do every couple months usually -sometimes more often depending on if my Puggle is extremely itchy - hes very sensitive skin to allergies and will scratch his little underarms raw if I let him - A bath usually relieves his itchiness for a while but then I also have prescription shampoo for him. If he gets a bath so does my pittie - this week Ive been giving him paw soaks tho as he had a bath last week - i just fill enough water in the tub to soak his paws as he gets extremely OCD about licking them til their raw. The soak deters him.

#13 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

when i feel they start to smell or the fur gets not so nice.. ( yorkies) But i been usuing advantage, and it makes them greesy, so i will give them a bath the day before i apply, I am scared to bath the stuff off so its not effective...

#14 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

kahlo is a shih zhu/Bichon- and she goes to the groomers every 9- 10 weeks. i don't usually bathe her at home in between unless she gets into something- we brush daily- i do have this spray that i will spray on a soft blanket and rub on her if she is stinky. I do find if it is wet outside or damp the smell of wet dog gets to me.

#15 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

When I had my ex's lab I'd just use the pet wipes for her pits, under ear flop (external), and any other smelly regions. I am not a dog person, will not put a dog in my tub, and the wipes made the smell manageable (with daily denta-bones Lol)

Because the wipes don't much contact the skin she never got irritated skin from it like you can get from overbathing, and so much easier then hose meets wet soapy dog trying to flee human Lol.

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Her pits. haha

#17 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

when i feel they start to smell or the fur gets not so nice.. ( yorkies) But i been usuing advantage, and it makes them greesy, so i will give them a bath the day before i apply, I am scared to bath the stuff off so its not effective...

You should wait 48hrs after bathing just to "be sure" the oils are back on the skin. Advantage is spread through the oils produced by the skin. It does also wash off so, you are right to not bathe in between.

#18 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Her pits. haha

There and the ear zone were the worst because of trapped moisture. I don't know what to call them other than that :p

#19 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

When I had a dog growing up my dad had me bathe her every week. She never got dried out and she never ever smelled. We used regular human shampoo on her.

#20 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

lol ya when i say "my gawd you STINK!!!" i bath it.

#21 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

If he stinks he will get a bath. I can't handle dog smell, it really bothers me

#22 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

every two months or so.....or until funky,or if someone decides to colour the dogs with markers...lmao