14 replies to this topic

#1 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

I can't believe I've never thought of posting this before, but for anyone who suffers from "winter blues," I'd strongly suggest you take a Vit D supplement in the winter. I used to get "down" in the winter pretty badly, but a couple years ago my doctor did routine bloodwork at my yearly checkup and found I was low on Vit. D, so she told me to start taking a supplement every day and it has helped tremendously! I was just sitting thinking today about how I've only felt "bummed out" a couple days this winter, and I really think the Vit. D is what is making the big difference.

#2 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

It's a good idea. Also there has been some research lately by Canadian naturopathic dr. Dr. Natasha Turner who has recommended it as part of weight loss strategy as well (The Hormone Diet). Between her recommendation, that of PT and other research, I have been trying to get consistent with it lately. I am taking the higher amount recommended by Dr. Turner.

#3 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Vit D, Omegas or Fish Oils and vit B12 stacked with a B50 complex are all tought to help with depression and anxiety, especially in woman. i know I personally feel like hell if im ot taking my vitamins. Its like my own homeopathic form of Zoloft....lol

#4 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Completely true, but be sure to check with your doctor because Vit D is a vitamin that you CAN have too much of, altho toxicity is rare. It's hard to manage because the blood test for Vit D is not covered by OHIP unless you're in a specific risk group, otherwise you have to pay out of pocket. Nearly every Vit D blood test ordered that comes through the clinic, comes back as extremely low, so it is certainly not uncommon.

#5 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Completely true, but be sure to check with your doctor because Vit D is a vitamin that you CAN have too much of, altho toxicity is rare. It's hard to manage because the blood test for Vit D is not covered by OHIP unless you're in a specific risk group, otherwise you have to pay out of pocket. Nearly every Vit D blood test ordered that comes through the clinic, comes back as extremely low, so it is certainly not uncommon.

I take 2000IU daily as that is what my doctor told me to take. I doubt you would overdose on Vit. D unless you took crazy high amounts, but I agree that it wouldn't hurt to check with your doctor first.

I didn't pay for the blood test, but maybe that was because it was in with other routine bloodwork.

I buy this Vit. D:
http://well.ca/produ...-size_7335.html (10off40yay will get you $10 off an order of $40 or more)

I think you can also pick up Ddrops at Shoppers Drug Mart as well.

#6 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Yep....this is the first winter in quite a few I have not taken my vitD. I feel like hell! I am having my usual "out of control downward spiral" right now. Even with my antidepressants late winter and early spring have always been hard for me. Somewhere between early March and late April I have a spiral. When I take VitD it does not go out of control.

Love the Vit D!!

#7 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

I know my Vit D blood draw was covered- I didn't pay anything.
Fact is we don't take nearly enough D-- even the recommended amounts are too low for our climate. I know people who take 4000 IU's a day.
I have not been as sick as usual this year forsure- and it may be for faithful Vit D consumption. Can't say on moods- as this winter was way over the top for me in the stress department.

Edited by Lasergirl, 02 April 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#8 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Fact is we don't take nearly enough D-- even the recommended amounts are too low for our climate. I know people who take 4000 IU's a day.
I have not been as sick as usual this year forsure- and it may be for faithful Vit D consumption. Can't say on moods- as this winter was way over the top for me in the stress department.

If I went through what you went through I don't think Vit. D would have helped me much either in the stress department :( It's just so nice to have a couple years in a row now where I wasn't down in the dumps and it only costs me $20 to be happier!

#9 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

LOL- well yeah
But stress usually is what lowers my immune system and then I get sick. Not this year though. Off to knock on wood

#10 Rebekah

Rebekah

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

I take 4000 and I have for about 2 years now. In the summer I lower it to 3000.
Anywho, I don't get sick like I used to before this vitamin regiment.

#11 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

I never paid for my Vitamin D draw either, the doctor had it on my annual bloodwork. I take it too (when I can remember the vitamins, forgot Sat, Sun, Mon and today) UGH

#12 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Just found this article:

http://www.everydayh...Health_20120404

#13 joeyjoey

joeyjoey

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

I have a hard time remembering to take mine every day. This just reminded me :)

#14 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Just found this article:

http://www.everydayh...Health_20120404

Intersting article. I knew about how Vit D helps reduce the incidence of "winter blues," but didn't realize it was good for the immune system to help you fight off infection as lasergirl mentioned and that article shows there could be several other health benefits as well to making sure Vit D levels are high enough.

#15 ang691

ang691

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Vit D, Omegas or Fish Oils and vit B12 stacked with a B50 complex are all tought to help with depression and anxiety, especially in woman. i know I personally feel like hell if im ot taking my vitamins. Its like my own homeopathic form of Zoloft....lol

this