10 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

So im done in less than a month and feeling a little put off by the fact that there are no job postings in my field. The entire time I have been in school there have been tons of job postings and now that Im ready to start sending out resumes there is nothing. It frustrating because i want to be working next month and as a result have ended up applying to management positions in retail again which puts me back to square one. Did anyone else have a hard time finding work after graduation?

#2 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

How about contacting some places now to start volunteering ASAP before you're done school?

DH has talked with his sponsor about this and his sponsor says this is good to do as it really is helpful.

#3 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

What field are you going to school for now?

#4 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

Medical Office Admin. im not sure that many places would ake volunteer placements other than school based? im going to look into it though.

#5 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Medical Office Admin. im not sure that many places would ake volunteer placements other than school based? im going to look into it though.

I finished the MOA program in September 2010, with academic excellency, and am still unemployed.

Been on some interviews though, and there may just be something wrong with me, and my human skills lol.

#6 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

I know a couple people that graduated in this last year. Only 1 has been able to get a job, and it was just recently.

#7 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Great! Thats confidence instilling! My biggest fear when starting this was not finding work, but for his area statistically its one that has a high hiring rate. Im wonering wher colleges get their "hiring stats" when it seems so many people who have returned to school are unemployed in their field?

#8 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

I know of someone who did volunteer in a medical clinic in reception to see if she would like that line of work before investing in the schooling for it, they hired her on, and then sent her for additional training to the point she was taught to draw blood.

#9 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

How about contacting some places now to start volunteering ASAP before you're done school?

DH has talked with his sponsor about this and his sponsor says this is good to do as it really is helpful.

I did that. I more than doubled the required hours. They are a very valuable reference, but it still doesn't make any guarantees.

#10 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

No you're right it doesn't make guarentees but it certainly can help. :)

#11 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

I have been graduated since the end of sept and still no job :(