11 replies to this topic

#1 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

My girls want to donate their hair to cancer for wigs. Anyone have any personal experiences on this and where they sent it to? I found a link on the Canadian Cancer Society and want to see who others have dealt with. I was also going to ask family and friends to sponsor the girls for this so I can send some money along with their hair donations.
TIA

#2 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

I sent mine to Locks of Love.

#3 LisaLady

LisaLady

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I've donated my hair 5 times (around 66" total) and my dd has done it once (6"). One donation went to the hair-cut-a-thon they have or used to have in August, my hairdresser took it with her.
Another couple went to a place I think was in London. A friend set it up, she wanted to donate more locally.
My dd's hair and another of mine went to a cut-a-thon put on by another hairdresser in Amherstburg which they do in the late summer or fall, I forget.
Unfortunately, I have never personally given the donations but I could find out the one in London if you want. We never raised money for any of the hair cutting, my dd raised money at her bday parties for breast cancer research.
It's a great idea, have fun with it!

Lisa

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

I did locks of love also. They only serve children who are in need of wigs. They do not do only cancer though, I am not sure what one does. I had people tell me to not donate to them because they charge for their wigs. I asked them about this. They charge on a sliding scale and they have a very extensive questionnaire that takes medical and living expenses into consideration. So, if a middle class family is spending all their money just living, they still do not have to pay full price, if anything. Other people tried to tell me they were not non-profit. They are. I was also told they don't do Canada but, they do.

There are other groups out there also. Pantene does one for women, but, it is Canadian, if I remember right.

Any place that you can donate hair will also take cash donations. It helps to offset the cost of making the wigs.

Locks of love will also take "shorter" hair! They sell it to offset the wig making costs also.

WTG for your girls!

#5 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

My dd donated 11 inches, a few years ago. We had it cut at the golden razor.. and they donated it for us... we eventually got a certificate..

#6 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

I've donated my hair 5 times (around 66" total) and my dd has done it once (6"). One donation went to the hair-cut-a-thon they have or used to have in August, my hairdresser took it with her.
Another couple went to a place I think was in London. A friend set it up, she wanted to donate more locally.
My dd's hair and another of mine went to a cut-a-thon put on by another hairdresser in Amherstburg which they do in the late summer or fall, I forget.
Unfortunately, I have never personally given the donations but I could find out the one in London if you want. We never raised money for any of the hair cutting, my dd raised money at her bday parties for breast cancer research.
It's a great idea, have fun with it!

Lisa

If you could get me the info for the one in London that would be great. Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for the info, will be checking into all of them :)

#7 Nian

Nian

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

My daughter has donated 18in in length and an amazing 3in in diameter of thickness thru the salon I work at. A local to Calgary area non profit company took it.
On a side note, it is a very profitable industry

#8 LisaLady

LisaLady

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

This is where we donated, looks like it was Toronto.
Canadian Cancer Society Hair Donations

Lisa

#9 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

my dd donated to |Angel hair for kids ( local kids who need wigs that cannot afford)

#10 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

my dd donated to |Angel hair for kids ( local kids who need wigs that cannot afford)

This is likely where mine will go next time. That is, if I can grow my hair long enough before I go grey and have to start dying it lol.

#11 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Where is this?

I'm still growing my hair out to donate for the seecond time.

#12 LisaLady

LisaLady

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Angel Hair For Kids is in the link that I posted. It is in Mississauga and through the Cancer Society. Both organizations in Ontario are for kids, each one has different requirements for the hair.

Lisa