Photo

Our new addition! (also have some questions for vet dog owners)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

We've decided to add another fur brother for DD to bond with :Posted Image

He's a 1.5y/o retriever/lab/am. bulldog mix and he is the absolute sweetest! We're rescuing him from the Humane Society where he was surrendered for being "too much work." He's energetic, but has no behavioural issues and is great with kids and those of the feline variety.

I'm so excited to go an pick him up tomorrow! DD is so in love with him. They shared all kinds of kisses at the Humane Society during the meet and greet. I'm really looking forward to showing this handsome boy a loving family.

I do have a couple questions for veteran owners:

1) has anyone used grooming services at petsmart. We're looking to have a basic groom done regularly to try and keep allergens at bay - shampoo, brushing, nail trim etc. I was just wondering on the cost for a medium sized dog. I know prices vary by breed, just thought I'd try to get a range.

2) Does anyone have recommendations for groomers outside of petsmart?

3) Are there still dog parks in the Windsor area? Any links or info is appreciated.

4) Has anyone had any success with allergen reducing shampoos (I have allergies, but refuse to let it stand in my way of pets!)

5) Once he's settled I'd like to get him set up with some doggy pals! (PM me if interested)

6) Anyone have any recommendations for basic obedience training?

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Ellivort, 28 April 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#2 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Congrats on adding your furbaby to your home. We adopted two cats from the Humane Society a few years ago and they are great pets.

When we were in Windsor we had Amanda from Amanda's Mutt Cuts groom our dog. She was the third pet groomer we had been to and we were more than happy with her. She does an excellent job and she is the only groomer that my dog was not scared to go to. Her number is 519-251-8192.

#3 single_mom

single_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Omg he is adorable!!!! Congratulations!!

#4 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

He is super cute! Congrats!

I personally wouldn't use Petsmart for grooming. They "train" just about anyone for the job. And they aren't trained to deal with dogs with anxiety, etc. My aunts dog was an older dog and was in for his regular bath. He was overly scared, they didn't know how to deal with him, and shattered both his hips trying to get out of the tub.

There are dog parks still around! One is on the west end on Broadway(behind Dainty Rice), one is in Remington park and I believer there is one in Tecumseh.

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 28 April 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

Pet smart grooming....is OK. Like already said, they don't deal well with issues though. But, for a basic groom on a good dog they are ok. As for other groomers, I don't know many in the city. My clients go to different ones but, I rarely hear who they are lol.

Dog parks, Broadway, Remington park and yes, in Tec. Make sure though you have the dog fully vaccinated, including Canine cough and leptospirosis!

Allergen reducing shampoos? I have no idea. My BF is allergic to my Huskies but, I have never tried to reduce the allergens at all LOL. I bathe her when she gets really stinky due to shedding....that is once every 6-9mo.

Obedience I love, love, love Jean Bruce at Crossroads Canine Academy! Just search the name and you will get her website. I believe in "clicker" and positive training rather than choker training. With clicker training a small child can do it. With choker/punishment based training if you are not "strong" enough it fails. No matter what training you use remember, you have to work at it or the dog does not learn.

HTH!

Let me know if you need any other info!

#6 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

we will ONLY go to see Mandi at petsmart on dougall for Kahlo- she is a shih zhu/ bichon- so she has LONG fur ( like our hair) for her i pay $79 tax in- and that is the top dog pkg- includes the oatmeal bath ( does well for kahlo's skin) teeth brush- then the cut. mandi is the manager there and kahlo is always comfortable with her- she talks to the pets like they are her own- she cares for them.

we also took kahlo for training at petsmart on walker and saw jillian- we did basic training and some private classes - we really liked what we have accomplished- But she needs more work ( barking)

as far as dog parks - we won't go - i would rather find a friend with dogs and have them play together- unless you are completely confident your dog will listen to you- i have seen first hand a large dog's ear being bitten ( a chunk off) and the dog required 2 surgeries to repair the damage done in one quick second.- you never know what will happen. my dog is always on leash so she is close that i can grab her incase she doesn't listen or is in danger-kwim? and in dog parks leashes are not allowed.

as far as allergen reducer shampoos we did not have any luck at my mom's house for my brother's cat. I am terribly allergic to cat's and my brother tried the shampoo and wipes= but it doesn't matter - my allergies were just as bad-
good luck
and congrats on your new fur baby- he is so CUTE.

#7 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well grooming is a personal thing, kinda like your hair dresser....some people love Petsmart, some do not...I have a friend who's mother owns a grooming salon...next to Branton Animal hospital called Loyal Companions...my friend has standard poodles and actually does the show cuts on them.

As for training....Go to Jean....I did Petsmart....waste of money...they train people with no dog knowledge how to train their way,..and if you have a problem they are of no help b/c they have no actual behaviour knowledge, I also did Holiday Boarding kennels and my dog can sit, down and stay to a point....but I cant really train her to do anything else b/c it is negative punishment style training.

....Jean is the bomb....she is a behaviorist as well and does positive training, which gives you the tools to be able to train him to do anything you want. There is a groomer next to her as well that I know she takes her pets too and she likes.

As for allergens, sorry no advice...allergies are still a big thing being studied....Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit just released an article stating that the dogs being toted as being "hypoallergenic" actually shed just as much allergen as the non hypoallergenic ones...which I thought was interesting.

#8 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone.

So far with hardwood floors and daily vacuuming and a dose of 24h reactine, so far i haven't had a single allergic episode. i can even cuddle him. Maybe im outgrowing my allergies finally! lol

We're still shopping around for grooming and trainers, we have contact all of the trainers that were mentioned or pm'd to me, just to get a feel for style and perspective.

Thanks for the advicE!

#9 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

cute colouring :)

#10 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

As for training....Go to Jean....I did Petsmart....waste of money...they train people with no dog knowledge how to train their way,..and if you have a problem they are of no help b/c they have no actual behaviour knowledge, I also did Holiday Boarding kennels and my dog can sit, down and stay to a point....but I cant really train her to do anything else b/c it is negative punishment style training.

....Jean is the bomb....she is a behaviorist as well and does positive training, which gives you the tools to be able to train him to do anything you want.

i wanted to add that IMO jean is not the best- she told me to spray my children with bitter apple spray so my 4 month old puppey would not nip them. In the same breath said not to get it on my nails because i would taste the awful taste for days- but i guess that is ok for my kids?
I also think that to meet a trainer to see if they are the right fit for your family and pet- that should be a free consult- not a high hourly pay-
so many people love her and her family- i just did not- negative feeling right away - i want to see someone with my dog and how they act and how my dog acts with them.- I want someone who will tell me and my kids what to do- not just me.- this is a family thing.
good luck with your decision