16 replies to this topic

#1 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Are there any recommended home treatments for dry skin for dogs? We just got our dog from the humane, adoption not finalized until Friday so we haven't explored vet option yet. Today when brushing him i noticed a lot of flaking and we're going to bath her tonight and wondered if that would make it worse or if we ought to use a specially formulated shampoo to help?

Also I read in a numerous places that adding 1tsp of olive oil is good for skin and coat, can anyone reinforce this?

I know I've asked a ton of questions lately, but I know there is so much knowledge here and we've never (solely) owned a dog before.

Our new dog is so sweet and loving, but needs some physical improvements, mainly grooming, weight gain etc. and I want to do whats best for him! He's been neglected so long he needs some pampering! :)

Edited by Ellivort, 29 April 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

If you bathe him, use baby shampoo :)

#3 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

I would just pour the olive oil and rub in.

#4 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

baby shampoo is actually really bad for dogs skin (sorry J)

I used all the fancy expensive shampoos that all STILL dried out their skin... then I had a bar of Dove soap within reach because i forgot to grab his shampoo before I put him into the tub and didn't want him to jump out so I just used that... it was awesome! I from then on only used a bar of Dove soap on that dry skinned dog.

#5 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

baby shampoo is actually really bad for dogs skin (sorry J)

I used all the fancy expensive shampoos that all STILL dried out their skin... then I had a bar of Dove soap within reach because i forgot to grab his shampoo before I put him into the tub and didn't want him to jump out so I just used that... it was awesome! I from then on only used a bar of Dove soap on that dry skinned dog.

Thats what I was told to use by my vet because its a mild soap. If its no good for dogs why use it on a baby?

#6 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

different skin type *shrug* most of the dog books will tell you to NOT use baby shampoo specifically the baby shampoo.

#7 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Head and shoulders works well for dogs with irritated skin (bonus it kills fleas) but should not be used if you are bathing more frequently. We also use oatmeal shampoo which works well and smells nice. Skin-so-soft is great for extra dry skin. We tendto use it whenour dogs allergies flare up mid summer. Just poor into amds and rub into the dogs ffected area after bathing when the fur is wet. Make sure you are rubbing it into the skin. Brush once dry to prevent greasy fur.

#8 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

Good quality food!!!!!

Once he has been on a good quality food for a few weeks you will notice a change. If, it does not then talk to your vet since there may be an issue! If a dog is on good quality food they should need NO supplements. Good quality foods are built on the nutrients need by dogs. There are diets out there that help the skin of allergic dogs also! They have super high fatty acids as well as other nutrients to help keep allergic skin flares to a minimum.

Human shampoo is not pH balanced for dogs. Plain and simple. Get a good Oatmeal pet shampoo. That said, I have used, and recommended human shampoos on dogs. Nizoral for a dog with a really bad yeast infection, baby shampoo on pups when I had no other, and my own shampoo to clean a show dog when I ran out of dog shampoo.

#9 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

We ended up going out and getting an oatmeal shampoo as opposed to just regular dog shampoo.

He's on Science Diet, which based on reading ingredients and on recommendation is a pretty decent food, but it's only been a couple days.

After a bath he's less flaky so it might have been that he was just dirty. Hopefully after a few weeks of good food, lots of water, it won't be an issue.

Thanks for the advice~

#10 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

I know someone who had good success in just pouring a fish oil mix ( ment for dogs) over their dogs food for a while. and then every once in a while after that. and he has a super shiney coat.

#11 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Make sure that meat is the first ingredient in the food. I don't know if science diet is.

#12 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

i heard blue buffalo was a good healthy food.... is it?

#13 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Science diet is an Excellent food. NO, meat is not always the first ingredient in their food. Their food is Nutrition and nutrient based, NOT ingredient based. IE, they make food that the dog's body needs and can use. They do not follow trends. They research their source ingredients, their formulations, what goes into the dog and what comes out. They do actual feeding trials and they are one of 32 or 3 companies who will bring us vets the "latest" in nutrition for problems such as arthritis, diabetes, liver, kidney and brain issues (to name a few).

Ingredient lists mean nothing on a bag. I have learned that the only way to tell if a food is "good" or not is to feed it! I do my best to use companies I trust to research their products fully. (not just take apart some other company's food and add a spin)

blue buffalo seems to be a food dogs do well on. I looked at it but, found it too expensive for me to feed.

Edited by Trea, 30 April 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#14 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

-so-soft is great for extra dry skin. We tendto use it whenour dogs allergies flare up mid summer. Just poor into amds and rub into the dogs ffected area after bathing when the fur is wet. Make sure you are rubbing it into the skin. Brush once dry to prevent greasy fur.

Skin so soft is baby oil and perfumes mostly so wouldn't that be bad for a dog? I spray it on my dog sometimes in the summer to keep bugs away (heard it somewhere and it seems to work), but I don't rub it in him or use it regularly.

#15 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

-so-soft is great for extra dry skin. We tendto use it whenour dogs allergies flare up mid summer. Just poor into amds and rub into the dogs ffected area after bathing when the fur is wet. Make sure you are rubbing it into the skin. Brush once dry to prevent greasy fur.

Skin so soft is baby oil and perfumes mostly so wouldn't that be bad for a dog? I spray it on my dog sometimes in the summer to keep bugs away (heard it somewhere and it seems to work), but I don't rub it in him or use it regularly.

Not really "bad". I use things like this on my dogs coats for shows. I do tend to use ones made for dogs though. I still think that if it is something you "need" to do for skin then there is another issue there.

#16 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Recommended by a vet because our dog has flare ups in the summer month due to mix allergies and it works. Keeps flies, fleas and mosquitos away and soothes summer itch due to pollen and grass. Also worked well on dry skin. It saves forking out a couple hundred dollars a months for allergy shots and it does work. again, not used religiously, but as needed.

Food def. makes a differnce. Mine are on holistic food ( because of the golden because Im sure the beagle could survive feeding from a garbage can) and do vy well on it. It makes a huge difference with skin irritation and coat.

#17 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Recommended by a vet because our dog has flare ups in the summer month due to mix allergies and it works. Keeps flies, fleas and mosquitos away and soothes summer itch due to pollen and grass. Also worked well on dry skin. It saves forking out a couple hundred dollars a months for allergy shots and it does work. again, not used religiously, but as needed.

It's good to know that it isn't bad after all then because I have used it occasionally on my dog to keep bugs off of him, but was worried about using it too often.