6 replies to this topic

#1 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

when do you think it's ok to stud out your dog? when is it not ok? would studding out a dog who's never shown any signs of sexual exploration make him start humping things?

#2 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

Where is your mind at midnight? :watchingu

#3 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

on puppy love? LOL

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Unless you are a reputable breeder, who is knowledgeale about breeding and has a dog who has a full medical certification and comes from good breeding stock than Im a firm beleiver in "fix it, dont mix it". Too many unknowledgeable people breeding dogs because they want carbon copy pup, think they can make good money or feel their dogs needs are not being met.

#5 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

Exactly what Vals said.

#6 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

thanks... but... not what i was asking lol

#7 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Only a a dog who has had all health checks done for the breed should be bred!!!!!!!!!!! And then ONLY if the person understands the risks involved not only to the dogs but to future generations. Many genetic issues cannot be controlled with 1 generation screening. You need to know the pedigree many generations back to understand what the dog may or may not pass on. (BOTH parents need to be fully screened!)

Then also, there should be a GOOD reason to breed. The world needs better dogs, not more! I have dogs that are 5-6 generations my own breeding. They all pass health screening, I know the pedigrees for 10-20 generations back! I still do not breed most of my dogs! Why, because there is no "need" to. They are not "ideal" representations of the breed....they may have poor ear set, they may have a "wide rear"....they still make awesome pets, they just are not "breeding quality" because of this. They do not fit the ideal for the breed. They are not "better".

I see dogs daily with genetic issues. Heart problems, allergies, hip dysplasia, eye issues, luxating patella and other knee issues, bone growth issues...the list goes on. Not only "pure" dogs but, mixed too!

Nobody without an understanding of dog genetics should ever be breeding!

As for the "humping" that is not sexual 90% of the time. It is behavioral, the dog thinks it is boss!