22 replies to this topic

#1 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

it's my pet peeve (no pun intended... ok total pun intended lol)

do you allow yours to do this?

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

NEVER!! I have seen dogs fall out, jump out, be hit in the head with things and get dry eye from this!

My dogs are usually crated in the vehicle. For their safety and mine!

#3 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

NEVER EVER would i allow my dog to do that !!! She is buckled in and can only get her paws on the arm rest in the back seat. I have seen dogs with their bodies half out the window and it scares me. There should be a law for that.

#4 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

a lady O worked with used to let her dog hang out the window until one day the dog jumped out! Lucky he survived

#5 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

What if you keep the window rolled up part way so the dog's whole body can't fit out the window? That's what I do. I have a big dog and roll the window down enough for him to get his head out, but not his shoulders. Actually, I usually have him tethered inside the car, so he couldn't jump out anyway. It's a fear of mine, but I try to work around my fear so the dog still gets to experience his tongue hanging out of his mouth and wind blowing in his face.

#6 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

I cringe everytime I see it!

#7 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

My dog is so small he can barely get his snout out the window to peek outside. lol. So yeah, I let him do it but he's never hanging out.

#8 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

What if you keep the window rolled up part way so the dog's whole body can't fit out the window? That's what I do. I have a big dog and roll the window down enough for him to get his head out, but not his shoulders.

This is what I do. But I don't like it when the whole dog is hanging out the window.

#9 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

I can't stand to see a dog hanging out the window! You wouldn't let your child do that! What if a rock flies up? Let a lone the bugs! It's just too dangerous! And I don't even have a dog!

#10 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

What if you keep the window rolled up part way so the dog's whole body can't fit out the window? That's what I do. I have a big dog and roll the window down enough for him to get his head out, but not his shoulders. Actually, I usually have him tethered inside the car, so he couldn't jump out anyway. It's a fear of mine, but I try to work around my fear so the dog still gets to experience his tongue hanging out of his mouth and wind blowing in his face.

Wonderful until a stone hits him in the eye! Like I said before, I have seen not only injuries but, dry eye from this. With the air blowing so hard on the eye,even with a squint or closed, it can dry out the eyeball. If it happens too often it can become a chronic problem and even lead to eye injury

I have also heard of dogs who "can't possibly fit out" managing to jump out!

My dad's last car was modified in the backseat to accommodate the dogs. They were tethered so that their nose could get TO the door and a lower edge of the window but, not stick out at all. He would leave the window down just an inch or so for the fresh air.

BTW...I know dogs seem to enjoy this but, exactly what benefit does an owner perceive from this for their dog? My dogs seem no less happy about car rides because I have never allowed them to feel a 60KM/H rush of wind on their face.

IMHO the risks FAR outweigh the benefits since I cannot think of a single real benefit while I can think of at least 3 risks off hand.

#11 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Wonderful until a stone hits him in the eye! Like I said before, I have seen not only injuries but, dry eye from this. With the air blowing so hard on the eye,even with a squint or closed, it can dry out the eyeball. If it happens too often it can become a chronic problem and even lead to eye injury

I have also heard of dogs who "can't possibly fit out" managing to jump out!

My dad's last car was modified in the backseat to accommodate the dogs. They were tethered so that their nose could get TO the door and a lower edge of the window but, not stick out at all. He would leave the window down just an inch or so for the fresh air.

BTW...I know dogs seem to enjoy this but, exactly what benefit does an owner perceive from this for their dog? My dogs seem no less happy about car rides because I have never allowed them to feel a 60KM/H rush of wind on their face.

IMHO the risks FAR outweigh the benefits since I cannot think of a single real benefit while I can think of at least 3 risks off hand.

I understand. I disagree. My dog rides in my vehicle a handful of times a year. If he wants his head out the window, more power to him. I'm more worried about the people who feed their dogs crap 365 days a year than my dog getting a stone in his eye or dry eye from hanging his head out the window 2-3 times a year.

#12 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

SURE! it's ALL fun and games till a dog gets his eye poked out! LOL

#13 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

SURE! it's ALL fun and games till a dog gets his eye poked out! LOL

LOL

#14 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Hanging out the window, totally okay...
tied to the roof of Mitt Romneys car on a 14 hour road trip to Toronto.. not okay.

#15 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

LMAO talk about risk for stone in the eye!!

#16 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

dogs sticking their heads out the window... My daughter thinks its cute lol.

NOW dogs sitting on their owners laps while driving :wacko: That is not just annoying, but dangerous.

Edited by TecMommY, 02 May 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#17 Stepmomof2

Stepmomof2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

We allow ours to hang out the window, the window is one of those that only go down half way and is is physically impossible for him to get anything but his head through, we also dont allow it when we are on highways, only around our neighbourhood at slower speeds.

#18 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

well in his defence, I believe Rover was in a dog carrier, they just strapped that to the roof of the car lol.

#19 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

I say give'er. Pet population control. The less dogs around the better!

#20 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

We have a van and it's usually full of us when the dog is in there. The van windows go down, but not enough for him to get his head out because he's not tall enough. He sniffs the air, but can't usually stick his head out. On occasion he gets to sit ON the seat,and then we open it enough for his head to fit out if he wants it, but not to jump out. He doesn't seem to love having his WHOLE head out. Just likes to sniff the air a bit. I highly doubt my dog would ever jump out.. I'd be thoroughly shocked, he's just no the type... maybe as a younger dog he would have been, now he's just an old scaredy cat.

#21 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

We have a van and it's usually full of us when the dog is in there. The van windows go down, but not enough for him to get his head out because he's not tall enough. He sniffs the air, but can't usually stick his head out. On occasion he gets to sit ON the seat,and then we open it enough for his head to fit out if he wants it, but not to jump out. He doesn't seem to love having his WHOLE head out. Just likes to sniff the air a bit. I highly doubt my dog would ever jump out.. I'd be thoroughly shocked, he's just no the type... maybe as a younger dog he would have been, now he's just an old scaredy cat.

OK....What timing on a post! Just today I had a client in with a dog who has always just put his nose out the window. He didn't seem to like having his head out. He jumped out of the car while it was moving (slowly thankfully!). the owner is still in shock...it happened yesterday I guess. She swears she could have stood outside the car and called the dog and he would not jump out. His temperament is not "adventurous" at all, he is a timid dog who likes to be beside mom at all times. She has no idea what enticed him but, after 5yrs he just seemed to decide one day he wanted to jump out of a moving vehicle!

One more person tethering her dogs in the car and not allowing windows open LOL.

I'm not accusing anyone or anything. I wanted to share because I could not get over the timing of this LOL.

#22 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

well in his defence, I believe Rover was in a dog carrier, they just strapped that to the roof of the car lol.

LMAO i didn't think that he strapped the DOG to the roof!

I say give'er. Pet population control. The less dogs around the better!

*snicker*

#23 Guest_rjblankets_*

Guest_rjblankets_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

I use to do this when my dog was a pup, but then I got wise about proper training when she was around 1, and its no no to A LOT of things that I thought where acceptable before. Now, she has to sit on the floor in the back. She's not even allowed near the front seat anymore. My brother's dog is a lab mix and he told me to "just open the window and let him in the front seat, he won't do anything." My response, "I love you b/c your my brother, but I think your a dumb***. Roxy can't sit in the front seat and hang out the window, neither can your out of control dog." I won :)