30 replies to this topic

#1 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

I can't drive highways or any roads that are posted 80km for long period of times. I can do 80 for short times like 2 to 3 minutes but thats it, it makes me nervous, especially in traffic. I have driven to Chatham before using old county road 2, i think its called river road or something like that, the one that follows the lake, then it turns into 36.
I need help finding my way to London from that point. We are going to White Oaks Mall.

edited to add.....is there any way of avoiding Longwoods? I think that road is 80 or 90km.

Edited by Lilacmom, 08 May 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#2 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Why not just use Google Maps to give you directions? If you click on Show Options, you can put a checkmark next to Avoid Highways.

#3 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Why not just use Google Maps to give you directions? If you click on Show Options, you can put a checkmark next to Avoid Highways.

I did that. It's putting me on Longwoods and i can't drive that fast.

#4 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Not sure 'cause I'm a 401 driver.... sorry.... there are other options too - the train? get someone else to drive?

((hugs)) and good luck!!

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

The only other way I take is HWY 2. Pretty drive but, LONG. I'd say look at a map and plan from there if you don't want to take hwy 2.

#6 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Is HWY 2 less than 80, though??

That would drive me INSANE! Have you tried to slowly get more and more used to it?

#7 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

I honestly can't think of a way to get to London without taking highways. You would have to do a TON of re-routing and that would take you the entire day.

Maybe a train or a bus? You'd be spending a ton in gas if you try to avoid highways, so maybe spend the money on a train ticket?

#8 Roz

Roz

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

I would suggest what Dana says. I, too, cannot think of any way to get there by driving less than 80 km/hr.

The train is very comfortable...no traffic concerns, no worries about parking, you can catch up on reading, etc.

If you book early you can get some decent prices. My friends and I have taken the train a few times to go to the Eaton Centre in Toronto for the day---leave on the first train, power shopping, then go home on the last train...

#9 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

yeah I would suggest either the train or someone to drive for you. If you try to get there by avoiding highways you are going to spend your whole day driving and by the time you get there you wont have time for anything. Not to mention the gas prices!

#10 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

If you shift the purple line over on Google Maps it'll show you other ways of getting there without taking Longwoods. I just did it but the estimated time was just under 4 hours... so double the time it would take on the 401!

#11 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for your replies and help. The train is not an option because i would have to taxi when i get there. I'm going with my dd and some family so the train idea would cost more than a car. I guess i'm just going to have to grin and bear it. I'll do what i did before, by pulling over everytime traffic builds up behind me(which is often) and let them pass. I'll get there eventually. The plan is the mall and Mandarin for lunch or dinner, depending on the time we have. It's for dd's 17th birthday this week.

#12 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for your replies and help. The train is not an option because i would have to taxi when i get there. I'm going with my dd and some family so the train idea would cost more than a car. I guess i'm just going to have to grin and bear it. I'll do what i did before, by pulling over everytime traffic builds up behind me(which is often) and let them pass. I'll get there eventually. The plan is the mall and Mandarin for lunch or dinner, depending on the time we have. It's for dd's 17th birthday this week.

Just wanted to make sure you saw Claudia's response directly above yours. She seems to have found a solution for you. Enjoy your trip!

#13 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

You can't get someone to drive for you Evy? Get Brenda her license. LOL

Mitch has his now. He takes the car on his own.

#14 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hwy 2 has a lot of 80km areas but, it goes though a lot of towns too. Even most backroads are 80km. The only difference is that there is less traffic so when she has to go through an 80km zone there is less back up behind her.

Another suggestion is to avoid busier times....morning and evening commutes. This way you feel less pressure since traffic is lighter.

The way I would get there if I didn't want to follow any main roads would be to take a paper map with me and then just keep heading in the general direction. The biggest problem with directions is that in a lot of areas roads don't run N/S and E/W, They run on angles so there are a lot of turns. The numbered "highways" (what were provincial roads until downloading many years ago)are well marked so it is harder to get lost. LOL!

Maybe you could try hwy 3/Talbot trail instead. I know it has a lot of 80km and open areas but, maybe it is less traveled? You can actually follow it all the way to Wellington road near/in St. Thomas. It would be about 3.5hrs that way (from google map estimate)

We used to take a lot of drives where we would eventually wind up in London. But, we were never on a schedule and didn't even care if we made it home that day lol. There was a time I didn't need a map to get from here to there on backroads!

Edited by Trea, 08 May 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#15 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

I know you don't seem interested in the option but I JUST dealt with the train, going to White Oaks and the Mandarin without driving myself.
It really isn't that far. Via tickets are 50% off right now. We paid $31 a ticket.
White Oaks and the Via station really aren't that far from each other. If you are talking about the Mandarin across the street from Victoria/ Health and Sciences hospital it isn't that far either.
The both of you could take the via and travel around the city for no more than $110 I'm sure.

It sounds like with the issues you have you are going to spend a lot more money and headache driving the way you need to.

#16 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

I know you don't seem interested in the option but I JUST dealt with the train, going to White Oaks and the Mandarin without driving myself.
It really isn't that far. Via tickets are 50% off right now. We paid $31 a ticket.
White Oaks and the Via station really aren't that far from each other. If you are talking about the Mandarin across the street from Victoria/ Health and Sciences hospital it isn't that far either.
The both of you could take the via and travel around the city for no more than $110 I'm sure.

It sounds like with the issues you have you are going to spend a lot more money and headache driving the way you need to.

If it would take me the amount of time to get to London and back as it would doing 80 or under, I would do the train in a heartbeat. The extra money would be a huge savings payoff over the stress. Not to mention, nervous and slow drivers cause accidents. Just not worth it to me, I agree the VIA is the best option!

#17 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

If it would take me the amount of time to get to London and back as it would doing 80 or under, I would do the train in a heartbeat. The extra money would be a huge savings payoff over the stress. Not to mention, nervous and slow drivers cause accidents. Just not worth it to me, I agree the VIA is the best option!

This. And your not supposed to pull over on the 401 anyways.

#18 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

I dont think she means the 401, I think she pulls over on the secondary highways, and thats just it, if you arent driving close to the speedlimit on those highways, people start pulling out and making dangerous passes.

#19 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

Just curious.... but do you not have to drive on a hwy to get your licence?
I barely remmeber 20 yrs ago, but you had to do a list of things, and hwy, parallel park, and ones ways were def on mine.

you would croak with me . I am a huge leadfoot

#20 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

I would never drive on the 401 and would never pull over to let cars pass. That would be dangerous. I have in the past pulled over on #2 to let cars pass and i do it safely. We are taking the van because its cheaper than a train and taxi and also gives us the option of going someplace else if we want to. We are also stopping in Chatham to pick up another family member.
Sherry, Brenda is not ready to drive yet. She has an interest but just doesnt want to get her license just yet.
Also, i can't stand any one else driving. I don't let my dh drive my van unless i really have to. Other peoples driving scares me.

#21 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Oy, you're a peach to drive with, I'm sure! LOL

I think the best thing you can do is just do it! Drive those roads.. Start with short periods of time, and build up! I think actually DOING it is the best way to get rid of the fear! Life would be so much simpler!

#22 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

What is so important at White Oaks Mall that you're willing to drive dangerously slow to get there? You will have your daughter, grandbaby and other family members in the car with you. You aren't being safe; you are being dangerous to drive that slowly.

If you do a google search on "dangers of driving too slowly", there are many professional opinions on how dangerous it can be too drive too slowly. It is AS DANGEROUS AS or MORE DANGEROUS THAN driving too fast. That's an awful lot of risk for a trip to a mall.

#23 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Oy, you're a peach to drive with, I'm sure! LOL

I think the best thing you can do is just do it! Drive those roads.. Start with short periods of time, and build up! I think actually DOING it is the best way to get rid of the fear! Life would be so much simpler!

lol, more like a mouthy sour lemon....When i let someone else drive i have my foot on the imaginary brake constantly and my hands/fingers clenched in the arm rests. It's pathetic. Dh says i need duck tape on my mouth and blinders on when i'm a passenger, lol.
I'll manage to get there and back, but your right, i need to do this more often to get rid of this fear.

#24 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

What is so important at White Oaks Mall that you're willing to drive dangerously slow to get there? You will have your daughter, grandbaby and other family members in the car with you. You aren't being safe; you are being dangerous to drive that slowly.

If you do a google search on "dangers of driving too slowly", there are many professional opinions on how dangerous it can be too drive too slowly. It is AS DANGEROUS AS or MORE DANGEROUS THAN driving too fast. That's an awful lot of risk for a trip to a mall.

I didn't say i was going to drive slow. I just wanted another route to get there. Dd just wanted a shopping trip in London. She picked that mall because she likes it. I will be driving the speed limit, but pulling over when faster cars pile up behind me and want to pass. Thats the part that makes me nervous, i feel like they are pushing me to go over the limit.

#25 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

I didn't say i was going to drive slow. I just wanted another route to get there. Dd just wanted a shopping trip in London. She picked that mall because she likes it. I will be driving the speed limit, but pulling over when faster cars pile up behind me and want to pass. Thats the part that makes me nervous, i feel like they are pushing me to go over the limit.

Yes, that is dangerous and should only be done in an urgent situation.

#26 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

I understand the fear. The 401 can be very scary!! You should just practice and hopefully your comfort will increase each time.

#27 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

I really think it's the best way! The more you do it, the less it will seem scary! For the first few minutes on the 401 I feel a bit nervous too.. and when I hit Toronto and Montreal..EEK! Sometimes I make my sister do those parts when we go to Quebec, unless it's very late at night, or very early in the morning! It's extremely nerve wracking to me.. but again, I know it's because I am not used to the pace, and everything seems too narrow, and everyone drives so fast! LOL I can handle all the other parts of the trip.. those cities just makes me nervous. Even at 3 or 4 am, the 401 in Toronto has quite a bit of traffic!

Edited by Jill, 09 May 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#28 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

If you are doing 80 in an 80 zone you should not feel pressured by people behind you. That is their problem if they need to go faster. You are putting pressure on yourself for no reason.

Good luck and hopefully you have a good trip.

I am nervous too with others driving, but I drive the 401 and the states.

#29 Spanky2

Spanky2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

I just wanted to say that I've spent a considerable amount of time recently at White Oaks Mall (family member is at Victoria Hospital), and I really noticed how it's gone downhill. There's not much there that we don't have in Windsor. Their Bay is just as bad as ours. Now, Maisonville Mall, on the other hand - has REALLY improved.

Just my 2cents! Have fun!

#30 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

I just wanted to say that I've spent a considerable amount of time recently at White Oaks Mall (family member is at Victoria Hospital), and I really noticed how it's gone downhill. There's not much there that we don't have in Windsor. Their Bay is just as bad as ours. Now, Maisonville Mall, on the other hand - has REALLY improved.

Just my 2cents! Have fun!

We lived in London 4 years ago for a short time. We liked White Oaks better than Maisonville. At that time Maisonville was closing a lot of stores. They even took out the indoor mini golf. We will check it out while we are there if we have time. Thanks for the info.

#31 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

If you are doing 80 in an 80 zone you should not feel pressured by people behind you. That is their problem if they need to go faster. You are putting pressure on yourself for no reason.

Good luck and hopefully you have a good trip.

I am nervous too with others driving, but I drive the 401 and the states.

I was thinking the samething! As long as you are going the speed limit then you are putting all the pressure on yourself. I live with the attitude of "if you don't like it and I am going the speed limit--well too bad!" I am not going to be pushed to do something I am not comfortable doing. It is nice if there is a safe place to pull over but don't feel you have to do that! Good luck and enjoy your shopping trip!