29 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm getting pretty worried about him these days.. I know he's almost 10, and boxers sometimes have shorter life expectancies than some other breeds, but I'm having a hard time accepting anything might be really wrong with him.. The last few weeks he seems to be having a much harder time with his back legs.. sometimes they buckle completely and you hear his back end hit the ground. It's very depressing to watch.. and he tends to drag his back left leg.. not completely, but you can hear his nails drag. He doesn't seem in pain, he's still puppy like in a lot of ways.. but sometimes he holds that left back paw up in the air.. I'm wondering if he's losing sensation in his back end??

We give him the glucosamine and condroitin, but I'm wondering if he's too far gone for that? I know I should take him to the vet, but aside from the money factor, it's really SUCH a stressful experience for him, I really don't want to put him through it. He is so anxious and scared there, I really think it would do more harm than good at this point..

Some days are worse than others, some he hardly seems to have any symptoms at all.. I am starting to wonder if he might not have a brain tumor or something, because a lot of his symptoms seems neurological, and honestly, not unlike my Dad's symptoms, in a sense. I think I'm jumping to conclusions with that one, though..

I just don't know why this has to happen right now.. :( Our dog is such a huge part of our family, and with losing my dad only a little over a month ago, I just feel so devastated!!

Anybody have any advice on something I could maybe try with him? I know the majority would think the vet is the best bet, but I really don't want to do that to him, and even if they found something we wouldn't treat it. I know he could just be taking his natural course, and I will accept that if that is the case, but I want to see if there are any ideas on something we could try?

Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by Jill, 19 May 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#2 single_mom

single_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

sorry i scanned through too quickly and somehow missed your comment about not bringing him in or treating it.
only thing i can do is sympathize with you as i'm going through the same thing, only with my 13 yr old cat. best of luck

Edited by single_mom, 19 May 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

:( sorry that sucks.
I dont real have any advice, but I do hope it is something you can help him with

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

he IS IN PAIN!!!

He likely has hip dysplasia and arthritis. WHY would you not treat him? Would you say "grandma is in pain so we will just let nature take it's course?"

For starters you are likely giving a WAY small dose of glucosamine/chondritin. Also he may just need some pain meds. Once you remove the pain he will be able to get stronger because he will be able to get more exercise.

10 is NOT OLD for a boxer!!

If he is overweight he should lose weight. Added weight causes more joint issues in dogs than anything else. I have seen dogs carried into my clinic 30-40% overweight (with owners who said the dog is not). We start them on pain meds, an injection called Cartrophen (like glucosamine/chondritin) and put them on a crash diet then 3 weeks later they are jumping in and out of the car!!!!

Do you NOT want to know if you are making your dog suffer or not? If it is neurological (very rare) there is not much to do but, there are very inexpensive things that can help relieve some of the symptoms(steroids, physio at home and, if overweight, weightloss). If he is just arthritic he can be managed easily. If you do not want to relieve the suffering he is having then you should let him go now instead of making him suffer like that.

Edited by Trea, 19 May 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#5 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

Trea-ouch. Maybe you could have worded that differently?? Jill obviously loves her dog and you are berating her.

#6 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

As a life long boxer owner,10-12 is the norm mostly due to poor breeding, but having said that a healthy boxer can live 14-18 years. Given the symptoms you describe it sound like arhritis which is very common to the breed and fairly easy to treat and control. Our last girl made it to 14 with a heart defect and major arthrits. Basically a trip to the vet would involve blood work and xrays to enjure there is no major joint or bone damage ( left untreated almost always requires surgry) and then common treatment includes antiinflamatory drugs in combination with a weight control diet, homeopathic supplements and a few at home changes ( low beds, no jumping, no stairs etcs). A good investment was a Karanda bed since hard floors can be painful to the joints. Althoug Trea sounds harsh, she is just concerned for the dogs wellbeing. Boxers are prone to bone and joint issues as they age and these can be easily controlled if dealt with early which is why a trip to the vet is your best bet. It might cost $500 up front, but it could easily give you another 5 years with a pain free, healthy pooch if you get it all figured out early. Good luck!

#7 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Nope. I could not have.

I am sure she believes does. but, she is allowing the dog to stay in pain and says she will not do anything about it. To me that is not love. That is torture. If the best you can do for your dog is to release it from it's pain then do it.

I have been in the position many times myself where i had to decide why I was keeping my dog around. for me or for the dog. When I realized it was for me I knew it was time to let go. hearing somebody say they won't bother to find out what is wrong with their dog because they won't bother to treat whatever it is makes me angry! go the the vet. find out if it is pain or something else at least! come on! If you choose to not treat then you can make an INFORMED decision instead of just deciding you already know what is wrong.

BTW...My last Akita dragging her hind paws. She had a back "problem", Spondylosis. She got about 2 wonderful years with weight management, J/D food, cartrophen (Like glucosmine/chondrtin). Another 1.5 yrs with adding pain meds. My Alaskan Malamute who had hip arthritis was also dragging his paws, one more than the other. He did well on pain meds and weight reduction (before Cartrophen and J/D) for about 4yrs before he got painful again. Akitas and Malamutes have no longer life span than boxers! The Akita was 14 when she was euthanized, the Malamute was 15.

I missed the holding one leg up in the air. Me may have a torn cruciate ligament. Same treatments and physio can relieve symptoms if you don't want surgery. My Akita also had a partially torn ligament. The things I did for her back helped her knee also.

But, no doubt HE IS IN PAIN!!!! the dragging paws, the holding up of the leg say he is in pain. Most dogs do not whine or cry when they are in pain. They limp, they become non-weight bearing, they sleep more, they play less, they interact with the family less. All the same things people say "well, he is getting old and slowing down"....a huge percentage of the time they are in PAIN!

I can almost guarantee you he is NOT neurological!!

!!!!!!!!GO TO THE VET!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

First of all, I want to make it CLEAR, I meant CANCER. I will not treat CANCER. But I really do appreciate making me feel like complete and total shit. Thanks for that. I'm sooo glad I asked for suggestions.

ETA: My dog is THIN. It's not weight. I also stated he is still puppy like! He still runs and plays.. I was hoping for something at home that could help him, because as I said, the vet is an extremely stressful experience for him and he turns into a completely different dog..

I do love my dog, unnaturally so, some would say. Wow, I am completely taken aback! He has been my baby for 9 years, comes with me everywhere I can take him.. sleeps by my side. :( I am so heartbroken and this is absolutely NOT what I needed people to tell me. I don't need to be spoken to like I am a monster.. I'm TRYING to help him!

I am going to call the vet and see what he says, I know he has consulted with me over the phone before. Maybe he will have more helpful advice, instead of this crap. I don't want to put him through that unless I absolutely have to.. I want to see if they can recommend something to try at home first. If that absolutely doesn't work, then we shall see from there.

Edited by Jill, 20 May 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#9 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

:( I'm sorry Jill. I know you love your dog. I don't get it, but you do! lol I know you are and will do what's best for him. <3

#10 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

You never said cancer. You did say neurological. You said whateveris wrong with him you would not treat. Sorry I misunderstood the information you gave.

Yes, he is in pain. He should have an exam. Like I said, dogs do not show pain. (boxers are notorious for this)

I did not assume your dog is overweight (though about 80% of the dogs I see are). I said IF overweight losing that weight is part of a pain management plan.

You gave half the information needed for anyone to help you. This is why talking to the vet is so much more useful. Your vet will ask specific questions, look at the dogs symptoms and overall condition THEN come to decisions on where to proceed. You can decline whatever s/he recommends but at least you make an informed decision then.

I actually had to have somebody tell me i was torturing my dog before I could come to the decision to euthanize her in the fall. But, she had been treated for her pain for nearly 4yrs already.

My intention was to make you feel bad. I will not apologize for making you realize you must do something for your dog. It seems to have spurred you into action.

I understand the visit may be stressful for your dog. But is an hour or so of anxiousness not worth your peace of mind or him feeling better?

I have had 2 die of cancer. Not pretty at all but, still, I took each of them to the vet, got medications to ease the suffering they were in and give metime to get used to the idea I was loosing them. (the one with stomach cancer was the hardest. I had so little time. But, I was lucky to be able to give her injectable pain meds for a couple weeks after she got truly sick). My Rhea went much more slowly. She had a tumor in her abdomen. She showed no effects until she didn't want to eat. We fed her a special diet my dad made up and gave her pain meds. That bought us enough time to get used to losing her (another 3 months actually with a tumor the size of a grapefruit in her abdomen pressing on her spine)

I am sure you love him. but, asking lay people what you should do is just silly. Your vet has the answers. Even if people gave you "help" it would, more often than not, hurt him at this point.

My suggestions...Pain meds(canine specific by prescription), a canine specific supplement that includes Omegas as well as Glu/con, slow and gentle walking to build his strength (Swimming is better if you can!) as well as a cushy bed.

When it comes to dogs, with all the ones I have had over the past 23yrs, for most things I have BTDT. Working as a Vet tech, I have seen the rest (I think, though I still get surprised now and then). I HAVE BEEN exactly where you are. I may have sounded cruel to you but, it was done for the benefit of your dog. Not for you at all. What is best for the dog is to be relieved of the pain he is in. There are very few choices as to how you can do it.

Old age is Not a disease. Pain is not a disease. We should treat our dogs we love with the same respect we would our parents and grandparents as they age. Just because they are old and don't want to go to the Dr does not mean we should accept that they are just doing what is natural. We should take them to the Dr to at least find out what is wrong and if their old age symptoms can be eased.

#11 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

:( I'm sorry Jill. I know you love your dog. I don't get it, but you do! lol I know you are and will do what's best for him. <3

mom2mom needs a like button! Jill, you do what YOU feel is right for YOUR dog, YOUR family! Don't let anyone bully you into anything. I don't care how much anyone thinks they know, nobody knows everything about every situation.

#12 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

I guess I didn't state cancer, but I compared him to my dad's symptoms.. he just passed away from brain cancer. I was a bit frazzled when I originally posted, and I guess I omitted that part. I don't think my dog has a neuro issue that is causing the symptoms, I was more implying it could be brain cancer that is causing neuro symptoms. I wasn't being very clear, I will admit that.

I know what I "should" be doing is going to the vet. And I am planning on discussing it with my husband, what I wanted was alternatives to try while we are in the here and now. I wanted suggestions on how to ease his symptoms NOW. I do understand that I should go, but I think all I want him to do is do some blood work to check liver functions, etc, make sure there isn't anything funky in his lab work that could indicate some other issue, and if that is clear, then I want symptom control. Do they do lab work like with humans that can indicate arthritis through lab values?

I am going to make my husband come this time if we go, and hopefully they don't have to wrap his face with kling so they feel safe with him.. He gets very protective of me and wont let anyone touch him, and me pushes on me.. muzzles don't work on his short snout, he gets them right off on a seconds time. He shakes and drools and sounds like the most vicious thing around, even if he's actually the biggest suck I know! He's never bite anyone, never even tried, but I don't trust him not to in that setting. He just loses his shit, totally. I'm sure you know, a Boxer who is freaking out is quite intimidating! lol I am afraid he will hurt himself, too!

#13 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

mom2mom needs a like button! Jill, you do what YOU feel is right for YOUR dog, YOUR family! Don't let anyone bully you into anything. I don't care how much anyone thinks they know, nobody knows everything about every situation.

Thanks for the support guys. This is truly so devastating to me! I know that people must feel like after losing my father, a dog should be so unimportant, but it really just feels like the straw that will break the camel's back. The thought of something seriously being wrong with my dog feels earth shattering at this point. I'm also pregnant and hormonal/over emotional, and I've just sat here bawling like a baby feeling both totally sadness and now just complete guilt. I feel stuck and I just want a miracle cure to make him better! Life flipping SUCKS!!

#14 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the support guys. This is truly so devastating to me! I know that people must feel like after losing my father, a dog should be so unimportant, but it really just feels like the straw that will break the camel's back. The thought of something seriously being wrong with my dog feels earth shattering at this point. I'm also pregnant and hormonal/over emotional, and I've just sat here bawling like a baby feeling both totally sadness and now just complete guilt. I feel stuck and I just want a miracle cure to make him better! Life flipping SUCKS!!

Its not unimportant, it's one extra stress/sadness added on top of what you already feel.

#15 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Awww Jill...I'm sorry. It sucks when our pets just are going through something. They are family members and it breaks our hearts when we see them going through things.

I hope it gets figured out no matter which way you choose for your buddy. HUGS to you!!!

#16 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Do they do lab work like with humans that can indicate arthritis through lab values?

Our tests involved bloodwork, full body check by the vet and xrays of the "ouchy" area. Course of action early on was a weight control diet ( she was ot overweight, but some meds can cause weight gain, as can the reduction in exercise due to mobilityissues soit precautionary) and was also given cortisone injections as well as pain meds for home. We were also putting shark cartilage on her morning meal and she ws getting 1800mg glucosamine and 700mg choindroitin daily which made a HUGE difference. The supplements were available at a health food store and the vet told us which ones to buy since there are different types. As I said before we also invested in a kursnda bed and she also had one of thise square orthopedic beds from petsmart since laying on the hard floor can aggrivste the condition. I hope you figure out whats wrong with your pup, its never easy dealing with a sick pet :(

#17 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

I am increasing his glucosamine and chondroitin to two tabs a day for now, and I think we'll take him in this week. I don't think we'll do X-rays at all though, as I just don't think we can afford them on top of everything else he'll need.

Also I know pets are expensive etc, so I don't need comments on that fact too.. lol

Edited by Jill, 20 May 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#18 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

I am sorry you are going through this but he NEEDS to see the vet...no vet can diagnose a problem over the phone...PERIOD! He needs a complete physical to see what is going on, possibly x-rays and blood work......10 is not young, but really not that old either....with good veterinary care dogs live a lot longer then the 10-12 years.

I understand your position, my dog is 14 yr old Lab mix, she has many problems including arthritis...... she has been dieted down and many people may say she is too skinny (she wasnt overweight to begin with). She is on J/D food and Cartrophen to help with her arthritis.

She also has a disease called Cushings (which is an over production of steroids in her body), which if not controlled can make treating with NSAIDS dangerous for her (cause stomach ulcers and she can bleed out). I have an apt next week to put her down. Our finances are not the best and the medication for her disease is very expensive, not to mention the blood testing required to make sure her dose is correct is expensive too. Off the meds she will start to drink too much, urinate a lot, along with having accidents in the house, and feel like she is starving, plus I cannot treat her pain with traditional meds if she is off her Cushings meds. For me it is the expense..... I see her slowly starting to get worse..she is having problems with her back legs (she blew both her cruciates many years ago), she is also starting to go senile (early stages), which there is no good treatment for. So yes I can treat her pain, and her Cushings for a period of time before her senility is full blown.

I will not see her suffer b/c I cannot afford to properly take care of her....it is killing me that it has come to this. I see this every day, people making this decision, and it is not any easier for those of us working in the veterinary field....if finances were different I could treat her properly and hopefully get another year or so with her. Everyone I have talked too said I am doing the right thing.... I dont want to be selfish either way. We also see pets suffer everyday and hate to see people sugar coat the truth to make the owners feel better...your first thought should be your pets feelings and not your own.

Take him to a vet to see what they can do, and if you cannot afford to help him then make the right decision..it is a hard one, no one likes to make it...but dont let him suffer..... We have the choice to end our pets suffering, that I wish we could also experience with terminally ill suffering people. When we adopt a pet we accept the responsibility to prevent their suffering.

I am not saying this is what you will have too do, honestly, most cases is that some arthritis has creeped in, just like when we age, with larger dogs it hits sooner, and can be harder on them b/c they are bigger and their joints take more of a pounding. Most dogs do wonderful on pain meds, esp since we have meds that are safer for them then any OTC human meds.....and many dogs get years of happy pain free life before their owners are faced with that decision.... but that being said, nothing can happen until you take him in, and until you do you need to understand he is in pain even though he is not showing it (pets hide pain, just think in the wild..the week, injured and sick are a predators first choice, that is why they hide it)

Let us know what the vet says, and if you have any questions please ask......the more informed you are the better your decisions will be.

#19 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Actually there is a test that "can" point to pain in dogs. Alk Phos is not a good indicator but, in the wellness tesing we have been doing in our clinic for years we have found a trend. Dogs who are in chronic pain have an increased Alk phos. Now, this by no means says every dog with that value increased is in pain. Some just got stressed. Alk phos rises easily. It IS a liver function test and can indicate many other issues. but, we find that our dogs with an alk phos in the 500-1000 range (high normal is around 450)are more often than not our arthritic dogs! No real study or anything. The internists we have spoken to have no idea why this value would be up in an otherwise healthy dog. they also can offer us no help as to what to do with these dogs to stabilize the value. i don't think there are any other places who push wellness blood testing like we do (the lab we use gives us a great deal if we do blood testing at heartworm so many of our dogs above 6 or 7 get tested annually!) so they may not even consider this an indicator at all. Our "observation of a trend" is far from scientific LOL.

When they do bloods, if you are concerned with cancer, ask that the profile include a Calcium. There are very, very few reasons for an increased calcium. It is the way we "diagnosed" the last 2 of my own cancer dogs. Even Liver issues, if caught early, can be dealt with and the degradation managed with supplements (we use hepato-support and it does seem to help). Even early kidney failure can be managed with medication and food (there are some wonderful renal diets that work great!)

If he is better at the vet without you there they try removing yourself from the room while the exam and any diagnostics take place. We have one client who's dog is a snappy goof ball with mom in the room. As soon as she leaves the dog calms right down. The Dr takes history without even looking at the dog, asks all the questions he can think of then takes the dog to the back. We don't even have to muzzle usually!(We have 1 or 2 others who are nasty no matter what) Sometimes muzzling is the best thing you can do with these dogs. It really does seem to calm a lot of them. And yes, with his muzzle gauze works better since it stays on better. don't feel bad for having to do it if it works and makes him feel less stressed! When you are in with him remember, you are doing this FOR him not TO him KWIM? Don't get yourself psyched up (or try not to) because he will feel that and be more nervous. Try to be matter of fact with him.

As for what to do now...nothing. Get him in ASAP is really all you can do. help him up when he falls, give him a nice cushy place to lay, don't encourage play. My Akita's last week I had to "sling" her up and down stairs.... A towel under her abdomen to help her to keep steady on her feet. I just kept an old large towel by he back door. Each time she went out I'd loop it under her, hold both ends in one hand and support her back end down the stairs. It gave her the confidence to go down...hard to do when 4 of your vertebrae are fused

Again. I know I was harsh. I am happy though it spurred you to go and see what is wrong with him. At least now you will know and it will either confirm your expectations or easy your stress a bit.

if you didn't love your dog you would not have asked for help. Again, I want to help your dog, not you. I am not bullying either. I am telling facts. There are not many things you can do. YOU have to make YOUR choice. I just want to see you make an informed one. When you said you would not treat "whatever it is" made my heart sink. I have dogs come in at least once a month for euthanizia that don't "need" it. they can be managed. Sometimes people decided they still need to euthanize after talking to the Dr. Others are happy to find that they have options. that what the dog is going through is a natural part of aging but, certainly not "too far gone" or fatal.

#20 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

I wasn't saying, nor did I actually SAY "whatever it is" I wouldn't treat. I said if they found something, and I meant cancer, we wouldn't treat. I explained that more in the subsequent posts, and admitted that I didn't explain myself well. The idea of putting a dog through treatments is ridiculous to me. I see what they do to humans everyday, and I wouldn't do that to an animal. THAT'S what I meant. I didn't ever mean to imply that I would treat arthritis, or something else that could be dealt with via supplement or lifestyle change!! Hense why I was asking HERE what I could do.

I get that you don't care about ME. You've made that very clear, but what affects my dog, affects ME as well.

#21 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

I don't have to help him up when he falls.. He literally jumps up and keeps going. He hasnt actually slowed down at all.. We have to remind him "slowly" and then he usually listens..

Edited by Jill, 20 May 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#22 single_mom

single_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

My ex fil had a vet who would do home visits for stuff like shots ect.. would there maybe be a vet that could come to you and do a check before you have to bring him in? since its so stressful. I hope everything works out for you and your furr baby.

#23 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

I know the majority would think the vet is the best bet, but I really don't want to do that to him, and even if they found something we wouldn't treat it.

You are not doing it "to him" but FOR him.

I did see you clarify the above statement in subsequent posts. That is why I tried to explain why I did sound so harsh.

I am sorry you are so stressed. I see your dog is causing you more stress. I am trying to point out the Vet is best and treatment for what is "likely" the issue is fairly easy. I also went on to try to "help". I looked for my notes from my last pain management seminar but, I seem to have misplaced them (again!). I was going to see if it had the actual glu/chon dose in them as well as the omega fatty acid balance that helps. (I am pretty sure it just had drugs but, I wanted to check for YOU!)

He sounds a lot like my Akita did 5yrs ago before treatments. She would fall then get her legs back under her and hop off. I couldn't call it running since she kind of bunny hopped in the back end more than ran with a proper gait.

At this point, if he was mine, I wouldn't do x-rays for any orthopedic issues either. With his issues at the vet it would stress him for no reason. X-ray findings will not change the treatment if the vet thinks it is arthritis so, IMO they would also be a waste of money. I X-rayed my dogs but, that was out of curiosity more than anything. Even then I didn't do "diagnostic" X-rays except when she broke a tooth and needed anesthetic to remove it.

I don't know about bloods work. I do annual blood on anybody over 6 with heartworm testing each year anyway. With my one girl who had stopped eating I did bloods (found all normal but high calcium). Then I did x-rays to see if we could find a tumor that could possibly be removed. (couldn't see anything, discussed exploratory and declined it). If my vet said I should do bloods because clinical signs pointed to something other than arthritis I would do them, probably.

Often in dogs tumor removal is the first step. I would never do chemo or anything like that on one of mine either! I would do a tumor removal if it looked like that would do it. But, even that is more than a lot of people will do. I have only seen one person do chemo with a dog. It was harder on the owner than the dog actually. It was for Lymphoma. They spend thousands and got only 4 extra months with their dog. Chemo does not affect dogs the way it does people. I have seen that. But I would not do it because of the stress on me and the cost.

And by the way Jill....it is not that I don't "like" you or anything. I just care more about animals than humans in general LOL. I would rather hurt somebody's feelings than see a dog hurting. I also know you didn't think he is in pain. You may still not believe it, I am 110% certain he is. I hear it way to often "he can't be in pain because he doesn't cry and he acts like a puppy sometimes" and when I look at the dog all I see is pain.

I hope your vet can see him soon and he does OK for his trip there. I also can't wait to hear what the vet suggests and how your dog does!

#24 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

Last month the sweetest pitbull I've ever met was running at the park with my buddy. He went down, and never got back up. Prior to this they thought maybe the pads of his paws were scuffed and bugging him, because he was a little off, but not showing serious signs of distress.

When JJ scooped him up and raced him to the vet the xray's showed deterioration of his spine, and there wasn't anything they could do to save him.

My friends wife and little girl were visiting out west, and didn't get a chance to say good bye.

Dogs really will try and stay brave to not let their people down. They wished they knew to get him in sooner.

I don't want you to have to go through what they went through. I really hope you get him checked out, and find out he's ok. I'd be destroyed if something was wrong with the little furry love of my life, and I'm not even dealing with pregnancy hormones lol.

#25 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Is there any way that the vet could come to your house and take a look? Maybe if the exam was done in the comfort of your home it wouldn't be so stressful? And if the vet warrants some xrays maybe you could give him a little sedative or something before bringing him in? Sorry you are going through this especially after the loss of your dad.

#26 Rebekah

Rebekah

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Adding a little bit of light humour here.....
maybe gravol him before going to the vet. :rofl2 :rofl2 :yahoo

#27 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm so sorry for what you are going thru Jill. My sister lost her dog on Sunday, very unexpectedly- and its so hard for her too.. hope you get some answers.

#28 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

That was actually legitimately suggested to me! I'm not against giving him something to calm him down at all! He needs an Ativan before we go! lol

Monday was a holiday and I worked yesterday night and tonight, and then we are bringing him in. I hope he can get in Wed or Thursday, as we have a very busy weekend planned and wont be able to until after the weekend, otherwise!

#29 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

That was actually legitimately suggested to me! I'm not against giving him something to calm him down at all! He needs an Ativan before we go! lol

Monday was a holiday and I worked yesterday night and tonight, and then we are bringing him in. I hope he can get in Wed or Thursday, as we have a very busy weekend planned and wont be able to until after the weekend, otherwise!

I was recently told that too! Suggested for his traveling stress lol.

#30 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

I have no problems with sedating a dog if and when needed, but please keep in mind a few things....

1) Only do so with your vets OK and advice...use medications he/she prescribes....or OTC ones that he/she gives you instructions on what drug, strength and dosage...dogs and cats are not like kids, one very small dose of something can cause serious problems, even death. Certain breeds and medical conditions will dictate what meds and dosage they should get.

2) Keep in mind that sedation alters your pets behaviour.....and under certain instances that can interfere with proper testing and examination.... ie if the dog is having a hard time walking is that b/c he is painful, or is that b/c he is drugged. He may not act the way he should to joint manipulation and examination...it can range from no reaction at all to over reacting and trying to bite.

I'm not saying what you are considering is wrong....just make sure your vet ok's the plan and knows you have followed through....

If you have a hard time transporting there is a company that will transport your pets for you...sometimes a different vehicle, proper restraint in a vehicle, and non owner transporting them will actually be easier on the pet.... sometimes pets do better when taken away from their owners... pets will feed off of your fears and worries.

Its called My Pet's Butler. I do not know them, or have any experience with them, I am in no way advertising or supporting....just giving you options so you can take care of your pet.