6 replies to this topic

#1 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

How should I go about socializing my Yorkie? He is great with people but whenever he comes near another dog he barks like crazy and tries to get at them. Doesn't matter what size dog either the nut! He will let them sniff him for maybe a few seconds and than starts barking like mad. He has never bit another dog but I pull him away because I dont want to chance it

How should I correct this?

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Start with making sure he has a solid sit/stay. Then you need to teach an "off" or "leave it" cue also. You will need special rewards in the beginning. Something he never gets but LOVES. At first you will be rewarding him with your voice, attention(petting) and lots of treats. As he gets better you can decrease the treats, keeping on with the voice and attention. Over time you can decrease the positive reinforcement. (but, remember he is in a sit/stay and he is not allowed to break that)

When you are out on a walk and see another dog coming put him in a sit/stay. Keep his attention! When he is paying attention to you reward, reward, reward. As soon as his attention wanders even a teeny, tiny bit you cue "leave it" in a firm voice then reward his attention again. I also find making sure the dog's back is to the oncoming dog helps. At first you never want to allow another dog to get close. If you have to cross the street when you see an oncoming dog do it.

If you cannot get his attention then the dog is too close. You may need to find an area where you can keep him far enough from other dogs at first to easily get and keep his attention then slowly get closer. This will not happen in days or likely even weeks. But working at it EVERY time you are out you will gain control. Remember, every time he does bark at another dog you (or whoever is with him) has allowed it. If you are serious about it you will set him up for success in the beginning then very slowly challenge him. Each time he is allowed to bark at another dog sets your training schedule back to at least the last level he successfully completed (IE distance he was able to handle) and often 2-3 steps back!

I also recommend positive motivation obedience classes 110%. A good trainer will help you with this much more than I can on the computer LOL.

Good luck!

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

Thank you! This is a lot of awesome information. He does have a very solid sit and stay command except he ignores me when he sees another dog. The lady who owned him took him to obedience class and clicker trained him. She gave my the clicker so should I try using it for this situation? We have only had him about a month and I have a feeling that he didn't really get around other dogs much before or he was allowed to bark at them

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

You need to learn how to use the clicker first. Once you understand the concept it is an awesome tool. Used without understanding it causes confusion.

the click is not a reward. the click marks a behaviour and means "reward coming". The best thing with a clicker is that it is FAST to notify the dog that he did right. So, on a sit you want the click to come the second that but touches ground. Not when it is on the way back up. If you click on the way back up you teach the dog "sit then get up" KWIM?

I love clickers and more so with little dogs where it take longer for you to get a treat to them since they are closer to the ground LOL.

#5 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

Thank you this helps a lot. I will be putting all this to use on our daily walks as it seems there are a lot of dogs in my neighborhood lol

#6 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

my dog just turned 2- she is still a fiesty one- We have issues with her barking- when she sees another dog - she barks- it is just like you described it- once the distraction is there- she no longer focuses on me. we work hard on this-ugh.

#7 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

i use "leave it" loudly when I see another dog coming close. that tells him that he's not to go for it AND tells the other owner to leave us the F alone!! NOTHING worse then someone coming up and letting their dog sniff mine. No not ok I'm out for a walk I'm not out for his amusement he's there to keep me company while I walk.