You're Not Serious?!?!?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rjblankets_*

Guest_rjblankets_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

What's the strangest thing someone has told you, and they were dead serious.. believed it ten fold?

For example:

My father in law discovered that I was feeding my Jack Russell a completely RAW diet (had been doing this for over a year at this point). He looked me right in the face and told me that if my dog even LICKED raw meat, she would become a blood thirsty killer and attack and kill anything and everything (even my children). He also told me that she would catch mange and could pass it on to every other dog. He was dead serious. I just looked at him dumb founded, and started lol. I gave him EVIDENCE of therapy dogs who work in the hospitals with sick children who have been eating an exclusive RAW diet since they began eating solids as pups, and also informed him the Mange was a skin parasite caught from the outdoors. He told me I was stupid and should just feed her Ol' Roy.

Did you know you can "Catch Gay"? This is what the same highly intelligent father law told me as well. He said that if a homosexual even BREATHED on you, you would be gay. I lmfao and fell off the couch. Then I informed him that my mother is lesbian (she only recognized this later in life, too many people tell her what she HAD to be) and with his logic, that must mean that I was a lesbian too and his son was gay. He stormed out of the room and told me to get out. I almost ****** myself I was laughing so hard...and I was laughing AT him, not with him.

#2 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

"catch gay" are you kidding me?! people still think that?! LMFAO!!!!!!

The funniest I've been told was from a well meaning friend who said I absolutely could NOT sit in a hot tub when I was pregnant, even for a minute, because I would "boil the baby".... I couldn't keep a straight face and laughed right in hers... but she was dead serious!! ((btw I spoke to my doc and confirmed it's perfectly okay as it won't raise your internal body temp to the point it boils anything..... )) LOL!!

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Don't reach above your head while pregnant because it wraps the cord around the baby's neck

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have a friend who believes that no man should bath his daughter because its perverse and that it makes them a child molester - basically men cannot control their urges and that a nude child is an open invitation for abuse? She is disgusted that my s/o is allowed to bath our daughter and has told me more than once that I am ruining my child. Ive told her she is insane and needs therapy! She also thinks all priests and gay men are pedophiles.

#5 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

#6 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

omg lol
i have nothing to add but find all of the advice hilarious

#7 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

You mean gay ISN'T catchy???? wtf.....

lol

#8 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Did you know you can "Catch Gay"? This is what the same highly intelligent father law told me as well. He said that if a homosexual even BREATHED on you, you would be gay. I lmfao and fell off the couch. Then I informed him that my mother is lesbian (she only recognized this later in life, too many people tell her what she HAD to be) and with his logic, that must mean that I was a lesbian too and his son was gay. He stormed out of the room and told me to get out. I almost ****** myself I was laughing so hard...and I was laughing AT him, not with him.

I've heard it before.
"when did you get the gay?"
"how old were you when you became gay?"
its humorous really. my friends and i joke all the time about it.

#9 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

This is what I like to call "People of strong opinions and little information"

#10 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

On a forum I'm on, someone said she has PVC pipes and an acrylic bathtub, so since plastic isn't a conductor, why would it be bad to use an electric appliance while in the bathtub. I seriously could hardly believe she was serious.

#11 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

I have a friend who believes that no man should bath his daughter because its perverse and that it makes them a child molester - basically men cannot control their urges and that a nude child is an open invitation for abuse? She is disgusted that my s/o is allowed to bath our daughter and has told me more than once that I am ruining my child. Ive told her she is insane and needs therapy! She also thinks all priests and gay men are pedophiles.

She would flip if she found out I still let dd1 shower with daddy..it is so easy to just have her hop in at the end of his showers (not all the time but I'd say at least once a week since she was a baby..she is now almost 4).

Pretty sure most people would be gay if it was truly that contagious, lol.

I lived with my gay bil & at another point a gay friend lived with us...poor dd1 would certainly be gay - when we were all in Windsor visiting she shared a bed with her uncle (not that I would care if she is but I would highly doubt that being the 'cause').

#12 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

On a forum I'm on, someone said she has PVC pipes and an acrylic bathtub, so since plastic isn't a conductor, why would it be bad to use an electric appliance while in the bathtub. I seriously could hardly believe she was serious.

That's when you smile and nod, say she's right, and let natural selection take over... lol

#13 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

That's when you smile and nod, say she's right, and let natural selection take over... lol

So true LOL

If gay were contagious you can be damn sure there'd be a vax for that already

#14 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

The weird thing is that this is the same person who normally says really intelligent stuff :wacko: Some people you'd expect a comment like that from, but this is the last person who I'd expect not to know that water is a conductor.

#15 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

I won't tell you who these quote are from because I don't want to be disrespectful:

When my kids are the least bit cranky, it must be because they "have a Fever In The Stomach." The dreaded Fever In The Stomach can be cause by sleeping without a blanket or with a breeze in the room, not wearing slippers or sitting on concrete (even in the summertime). Sitting on concrete can also cause hemorrhoids (yes, even in the warm weather).

You must cover the food while microwaving or you could get sick. (Her cover is old and made of plastic which surely drips BPA all over the food).

Kids don't need booster seats over 40lbs (which must be true because our cousin said so).

#16 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

When my kids are the least bit cranky, it must be because they "have a Fever In The Stomach." The dreaded Fever In The Stomach can be cause by sleeping without a blanket or with a breeze in the room, not wearing slippers or sitting on concrete (even in the summertime). Sitting on concrete can also cause hemorrhoids (yes, even in the warm weather).

LOL I have one of these too! It's not called a fever in the stomach, but the causes are all the same. My (least) favourite is that pushing a metal spoon on a bump/goose egg will make the swelling go down.

#17 Guest_rjblankets_*

Guest_rjblankets_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

you would think that in this day and age, when there is so much information available, that people would educate themselves before saying something.

This is one from my MIL - I should NEVER sleep with my infant, nor should I ever use any type of carrier, I should ALWAYS have my children "cry it out", and I am spoiling them by picking them up too often. To be honest, stupid me listened to her with my first one (I was young and too stupid to do the research myself). By the time my second came around, I did things A LOT differently!!

This one was never said to me, but was told to me by another woman. She said that a woman told her that if she even sat in a hot tub for even 1 min., she would hard boil her child! No, seriously, the baby would be born hard boiled! The woman asked her OB, and he said that no matter how long she stayed in a hot tub, she would not be able to hard boil the baby.

#18 Guest_rjblankets_*

Guest_rjblankets_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

This one was said to a girlfriend of mine. After two bottle fed children, 2 friends (including myself) who exclusively breastfed), attending LLL meets, and the support of her husband, she decided to exclusively breastfeed her youngest. When she informed her grandmother that she was now breastfeeding, her grandmother informed her that she could not breastfeed past 6 months because that was considered extreme breastfeeding and VERY unhealthy for the baby. To this day we still laugh about it. Oh, and don't tell her Grandma, we don't want her knowing that her granddaughter is "ruining" her almost 1 year old by still breastfeeding. :)

#19 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

most of the jaw dropping things said to me had to do with my kids.

Like having them in a sling was going to suffocate them and they would never learn to walk. I got the co sleep one too, people telling me my kid would be 16 and still sleeping with me.

My Pepe was told the if he ate green peppers he would get cancer, he wouldn't eat them for a year!

#20 Guest_rjblankets_*

Guest_rjblankets_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I have a full grown male betta (as everyone else does who purchases them from the local pet store). I originally had him in a small fish bowl, but then upgraded to a large 10 gallon tank (just because, there was no other reason behind it. He's also the only fish in it). My cousin was over, took a look at Ice Fish (ods named him b/c he's blue) and this is what he said:

Cousin - You know your fish will grow to the size of your tank right?
Me - You do realize he's full grown and will not get any bigger right?
Cousin - All fish grow to the size of its tank, that's common knowledge.
Me - So, if I bought a house with 10 foot ceilings, then I would grow to be 10 feet tall, even though I'm full grown already?
Cousin - No.
Me - So why would a fish, who's already full grown and will not get any bigger, grow to the size of a 10 gallon tank?
Cousin - Because that's what they do. Everybody knows this.
Me - Wow. When this betta grows to the size of its tank, I'm sure I will win the guiness book of world records for the fish Betta ever to grow larger then a few inches.
Cousin - Yup.

This was 6 months ago. Ice fish is still the same size, the my cousin still strongly believes he'll get bigger. Oh, how the intelligence just trickles down on my husbands side of the family :)

#21 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

I have a full grown male betta (as everyone else does who purchases them from the local pet store). I originally had him in a small fish bowl, but then upgraded to a large 10 gallon tank (just because, there was no other reason behind it. He's also the only fish in it). My cousin was over, took a look at Ice Fish (ods named him b/c he's blue) and this is what he said:

Me - So, if I bought a house with 10 foot ceilings, then I would grow to be 10 feet tall, even though I'm full grown already?
Cousin - No.
Me - So why would a fish, who's already full grown and will not get any bigger, grow to the size of a 10 gallon tank?
Me - Wow. When this betta grows to the size of its tank, I'm sure I will win the guiness book of world records for the fish Betta ever to grow larger then a few inches.
Cousin - Yup.

This was 6 months ago. Ice fish is still the same size, the my cousin still strongly believes he'll get bigger. Oh, how the intelligence just trickles down on my husbands side of the family :)

I'd hate to see the size of fish in the ocean! Attack of the giant fish!

#22 contentlife

contentlife

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

[quote name='rjblankets' date='25 May 2012 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1337978786' post='1311741']

Cousin - No.
Cousin - Yup.

http://answers.yahoo...13054036AA2RO9T Apparently a fish will be stunted if put in a small tank. I looked it up because I heard this myth as well.