5 replies to this topic

#1 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Any natural/easy ways to relieve it? My poor pooch was farting up a storm last night and then today he's still farting, loud enough that I can hear it and he runs away from his own farts because it scares him every time. I'm guessing he has a gassy tummy too. Is there something I can give him to help or do I just wait it out? I can put up with the stink, but he seems uncomfortable.

#2 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Primary causes for excessive gas in dogs is too much people food ( table scraps) and poor diet ( crappy dog food). Eliminating the first and changing to a better quality kibble is a good start to elviate the issue. Red met based foods can cause some pretty smelly gas, as can excessive corn and filler based kibble. Another trick is giving your dog plain yogurt (tsp/day). Gas can also be a sign of medical issues so a trip to the vet might be in order if the diet adjustments don't help.

#3 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

My dog is prone to gas, as some breeds seem to be, but I do find with better food it's less of an issue.

Did you not have to switch your food recently, due to a recall? Do you find a difference since then? I'm just curious!

#4 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Primary causes for excessive gas in dogs is too much people food ( table scraps) and poor diet ( crappy dog food). Eliminating the first and changing to a better quality kibble is a good start to elviate the issue. Red met based foods can cause some pretty smelly gas, as can excessive corn and filler based kibble. Another trick is giving your dog plain yogurt (tsp/day). Gas can also be a sign of medical issues so a trip to the vet might be in order if the diet adjustments don't help.

I'm thinking it was some table scrap he got recently because he normally doesn't have gas. I can't recall anything odd we've given him lately, but the other day one of my daycare children threw a bunch of her broccoli on the floor, so that is the most likely culprit. I gave him a couple tsps of yogurt last night and he's not farting today, though I do keep hearing his tummy making funny sounds.

My dog is prone to gas, as some breeds seem to be, but I do find with better food it's less of an issue.

Did you not have to switch your food recently, due to a recall? Do you find a difference since then? I'm just curious!

It turned out that the bag I had wasn't part of the recall, so he's still on the same food, though I'm likely going to transition him to a new food soon. If I had switched his food already though I would have thought it was that too.

#5 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

Avoid feeding him baked beans and cabbage. your welcome LOL

#6 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

I've been very careful not to give him broccoli since his farting incident. He likes broccoli, but he'll have to stick with carrots and celery and other veggies.