16 replies to this topic

#1 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

I think I remember hearing that you could see the fireworks from Malden Park ... anyone know if that's true or not? I don't want to go right downtown and I don't need a fabulous view, I want to take the kids but I don't think they're ready (or I'm patient enough - I hate crowds) to go where the action is. Advice/suggestions are appreciated!

#2 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

Last year i saw cars parked out on concession 9 off of #42 just past Baseline. You can get a great view of the fireworks. You have to park on the east side of the road facing the airport. I'm guessing you would have to stay in the car.

#3 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

Yeah,I'm looking for somewhere similar too. Nate wants to go, but Nora hates loud noises, so farther away is better. I was thinking perhaps somewhere around the Peace fountain

#4 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

my friend and i are going to the ford test track. I have never been there to watch but she says the go there every year and oyu can see them very well without all the big boom.

#5 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

we go to howard and tecumseh - the medical center parking lot- not a spectacular view- but beat the craziness ( there are a lot of people that go here too) and i don't need to park and walk for a long time with the girls. we bring sparklers and snacks- it is fun!!!
I always hear how there are tons of spots to go!!

#6 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

We always go right down to the river to see them :) It's a bit of a hassle getting out afterwards, but for the one day a year, it's worth it :)

And it's kind of a family tradition... my mom always took us, and now I'm taking my girls...

I'll likely park at my ex's house and walk down to Bruce/Riverside... **knock wood** we've never had a problem finding a nice patch of grass :) :)

#7 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm working tonight, but I think I'll have a pretty decent view if I can spare a few minutes!

#8 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

You can see them great from Malden Park on the hill and from Teppermans. I knw people who go to both spots to watch them. You do need bug spray if you watch there :)

#9 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

how early do people head down to get a good spot if you go right to the river.

Anywhere else on east end that the fireworks are good and viewable?

#10 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

**knock wood** but in the last few years, I've never had a problem finding a good viewing spot, and I don't get down there until 9:30 (at the earliest!!)

#11 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

I would love to take Noah, but it doesn't start til after 10! Way too late to keep him up, and I can probably see them okay from the roof.. We'll see!

#12 LisaLady

LisaLady

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

We always went to Malden to watch them but last year the hill was closed to cars to go up. Didn't stop people from going up but they had to drive around the barriers and with that there was potential for ticketing. We instead went up I think it was the toboggan hill which was fine except the light stayed on which diluted the darkness and attracted the big june bug beetles. Still had a good show though and it did get crowded.
I think this year we're not going at all. :(

Lisa

#13 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

We usually go to Maldern Park, had to walk up last year. Excellent view. Quick to get to and home.

#14 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

What time did you go if you went to Malden Park and where did you park? I'm not that familiar with the area ... I kinda just know ish where the park is (how bad is that? LOL)

Lisa - how come you're not going this year?

#15 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

The park is right off of the expressway on Matchette Rd. The parking lot is right there, can't miss it.

#16 LisaLady

LisaLady

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Had other plans that were canceled and I just didn't want to deal with Malden if it was the same problem as last year. I figured it's too far a hike for the little one. If dh was coming with, I probably would have gone.

Lisa

#17 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

not that it matters anymore.... if they arent cancelled future yrs....
I noticed today a great spot! a complete perfect view at the ford test track. you can see pretty much the whole ren cen. and there is tons of space.