31 replies to this topic

#1 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

I didn't know which forum to put this in.

1. Is it ok to request that your guests do not bring their little ones? Would you be offended? What would you say to someone who can't get a sitter? I'm giving people over a months notice.

2. I need ideas for a game. I have 2 already and need one more idea. What games have you played that have not been around like forever? (easy and non-complicated)

Edited by Lilacmom, 28 June 2012 - 05:27 AM.

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

Just specify that it is an adult only baby shower but don't be offended if some people don't show up.

Games- baby bingo. Hand out blank cards and people fill out the boxes with presents they think she will get and play bingo as she opens them.
Measure the tummy with toilet paper. Guess how many squares it takes to go all the way around the belly.
Baby name word scramble

#3 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

I agree that you can't be offended if people don't come solely because they can't bring their children. It's your shower and your rules though. A fun game to play is What's In Your Purse? Make a list of different/odd things that you can ask people if they have in their purses.If they do, they win a prize. You'd be surprised with what people come up with. Have Fun!!

eta

Edited by momand2kidz, 27 June 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Totally agee with above, cant be angry at those who have children and dont come because they cant/dont want to get a sitter. Most woman tend to assume that a baby show is a "kid friendly" event given its nature,so some people might be put off by the adult only request.

Games:

1. Guess how many jelly babies are in the bottle

2. Don't say "baby" - eceryone gets a diaper pin when they arrive, if the catch someone say the word baby they get that persons pin. At the end of the shower the person with the most pins wins.

3. Baby word scramble - first person to unscrambe all the words in 3 mins wins

4. Baby Name Game - give each person a paper with mom and dads name printed and have guests come up with a many aby names a they can using those letters. Person with most names in 5 mins wins.

5. Guess the belly size - we did this one differently. We had a pink ribbon cut to the measurement of my belly. We then gave people a spool of pink wrapping ribbon and sissors and asked them to cut what they thought the size would be. Closest to the actual ribbon won.

#5 swimmingdolphin

swimmingdolphin

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

I wouldn't go if i saw it was adults only and couldn't get a sitter. Also i feel baby showers there should be kids there. Just my feelings

#6 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

I smeared baby food on diapers that looked really gross- and people had to guess what was in the diaper lol

I have always had children welcome at all baby showers i have attended..

#7 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

May I ask why you don't want kids at the baby shower? I understand if it's a bridal shower or wedding reception, but a baby shower is generally kid friendly.

That said, I had no kids at my wedding. I just specified that it was adult only. I would think that the dads would be able to stay home with the kids for the baby shower though. I've never brought MY OWN to a baby shower. I just want to enjoy and not have to worry about them getting into everything.

#8 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Honestly the only baby shower I've been to that kids have been "invited" was my own. But then mine was a bbq with the whole family anyway. (though with one the woman's sister still brought her kid since she was helping host and apparently didn't have to do what she asked others to do)

Games.....I love guess what is in the diaper. We did "chocolate bar edition". (melted chocolate bar). A friend of mine just mixed 3-4 everyday foods that usually didn't go together...chocolate, relish and broccoli for example. There was always a note saying how many things were in the mix.

I did one where I had everyone bring a pic of themselves as a young child (under age 2 preferred). I had pre-printed a list of who was coming. Then put the pics on a piece of cardboard, each one lettered. Each person had to try to match the pic with the person. This was somewhat labour intensive but, was a lot of fun and a great get to know you! (if you do this one don't forget a black marker to cross off people who don't come....I had our party at home and just printed off the list when the picture board was done)

Blind-folded change the "baby". Using prefolds and pins!

How about a game where teams race to "dress" each other......in a bib, bonnet and "diaper" (I think they used a towel). The person doing the "dressing" can be blind folded even.

#9 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

May I ask why you don't want kids at the baby shower? I understand if it's a bridal shower or wedding reception, but a baby shower is generally kid friendly.

That said, I had no kids at my wedding. I just specified that it was adult only. I would think that the dads would be able to stay home with the kids for the baby shower though. I've never brought MY OWN to a baby shower. I just want to enjoy and not have to worry about them getting into everything.

I am renting the party room in my building and am responsible for anything broken or stained, ect... I don't want to take any chances. There are some people who just don't watch their toddlers. I only get my money back if the room is exactly the way i found it, otherwise i loose my deposit. I have nothing against kids/toddlers. If the littles ones missed their nap, then the party gets disrupted. The party is scheduled for 1pm which is naptime for most kids.

#10 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

I smeared baby food on diapers that looked really gross- and people had to guess what was in the diaper lol

That sounds really fun!

I did one where I had everyone bring a pic of themselves as a young child (under age 2 preferred). I had pre-printed a list of who was coming. Then put the pics on a piece of cardboard, each one lettered. Each person had to try to match the pic with the person. This was somewhat labour intensive but, was a lot of fun and a great get to know you! (if you do this one don't forget a black marker to cross off people who don't come....I had our party at home and just printed off the list when the picture board was done)

This is a really neat idea too.

A game that I played at a baby shower that was fun was when the organizers had a paper with a bunch of questions about the mom-to-be (what she was wearing, hairstyle, jewelry, etc.) and she left the room about half-way through the party and we had to try to answer the questions while she was out of the room. There were also questions like if she had picked out a name for the baby, if she knew if the baby was a boy or girl, etc.

I don't see anything wrong with doing a no-kids party, as long as you arent't offended if people who can't find sitters don't come. I've been to showers that were no-kids and I just found childcare if that was the case and I actually liked having an excuse to have some adult time away and catch up with friends/family that it would have been much harder to talk with if I was chasing a little one around.

#11 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

We did lots of these games (bingo, unscramble, etc) and had one where there were lots of baby-related items on a tray and we showed everyone and then hid it... the person who could write down the most items that were on the tray won. Oh, we also had one person from each table volunteer... They each got a bottle with some juice in it and the one who drank it the fastest from the bottle won. We were going to do something similar with baby food jars but never ended up doing it. I also had little cards on each table so everyone could write well-wishes for us and the baby or baby advice on them for me. Great little momentos to keep and show ods when he's older. They have baby shower game books at the party store, check it out for more ideas! Also, you can do a quick Google search and get tons of ideas there too! Have fun planning! :)

ETA: Sorry, didn't realize I didn't answer your first question... lol. I didn't consider NOT having kids at my shower, given the nature of the event... but if that's what you want then I don't see a big issue with it. Like others have said though, don't be offended if some of your guests can't make it. I rented a hall for mine and had to put a hefty deposit down on it... I had quite a few children at my shower of all ages and everything was fine in the end. Think about it... in party rooms in buildings especially many people rent them to throw children's parties!!! It might be safe to take the bet and allow children to come, considering they'd have to seriously destroy something to not get the deposit back. Anything they spill can be cleaned up and this way you'll ensure most of your guests' arrival! :)

Edited by Claudia, 27 June 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#12 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

I would be bothered if kids weren't allowed. Logically I would know that I shouldn't be offended, but I would be really annoyed about it if I cared about the mother-to-be. If you don't want stains, don't serve drinks or foods that stain easily. An adult can spill a glass just as easily as a toddler. Most young kids will have sippy cups anyway. Serve apple juice spritzers and have mess-free snacks. Maybe you could have the shower at a park, in a pavilion. Then it's free and kids can run around and everyone's happy.

#13 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

I wouldn't go on principal if kids weren't invited! It's a BABY shower not a wedding shower.

#14 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

I didn't have kids at my shower. I don't think it's fair to start judging over people's choices. However, had I not have already had the baby and hadn't been recovering from nearly dying, it might have been different.

#15 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

I was invited to a shower and the invitation had just MY name and not my daughters. I asked the mother to be to clarify if she was invited or not, she said no, no kids allowed. Yes I was offended but I went anyway as my s/o watched her. But there was no way I was going to PAY a sitter just so I could go to a baby shower.. if her dad was busy and couldnt watch her than I wouldnt have went.

Games: I had guess what baby jar had what food in it. Guess what chocolate bar was smeared on the diaper. (these were at the front table when u walked in and signed the book) I also picked the thank you cards from a bag to give out door prizes. But I found that having the games and the pick a card thing, more than one person was getting gifts which I thought was wrong, but oh well!! Oh we also played bingo ..

I liked at one shower i went to, there was a book passed around where someone wrote in advice for the mom to be. I wish I had that at my shower...

#16 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Personally I would not go if children were not invited and I did not have a sitter, on top of the expense of a gift a babysitter could be just too much for some people and if I knew it was because the grandmother to be did not trust me to watch my children or thought they would destroy the place I would be extremely offended and would not attend at all and be disgusted that is the way they feel.
I know it's not a game but I thought it was a nice touch at my cousins babyshower, at every table there were little bits of cardstock and each person wrote well wishes for baby or bits of advice for the mom to be, that way they could later be put into the scrapbook for the baby in the babyshower section under some of the photos and has a personal touch, especially important for those in our lives that may not get to spend all of the babys childhood with him/her, very nice memory for mom and baby.

#17 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

wedding i can see adults only, baby shower, I think people tend to ASSUME its kid friendly, if you specify that on the invite, you may have some not show up, thats your choice. So you cannot get upset if some c hoose not to come.

If you are worried about stains etc, adults can be just as bad... ( im a clutz)
you said you have over a month away, plenty of time, have you tried Zehrs party room.. its free! open , clean spacious and nice. There are plenty of places that are either free, or small room fee....

#18 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Think of it this way, would you not want your grandchild invited to a usually child friendly event, for fear that you might not be able to control them? Plus are you not going to take the kid anywhere is case it makes a mess?

I wouldn't be offended that you chose to make it adult only, but I would never pay a sitter to come to a baby shower.

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 27 June 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#19 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

Think of it this way, would you not want your grandchild invited to a usually child friendly event, for fear that you might not be able to control them? Plus are you not going to take the kid anywhere is case it makes a mess?

I wouldn't be offended that you chose to make it adult only, but I would never pay a sitter to come to a baby shower.

If the person was important enough to you, you would. Or I'd hope you would. It's about the person throwing the party. Not the people attending. It should be however THEY want it to be. And if you don't go, you don't go. But I would think you'd make it work, if the person was important to you enough.

#20 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

I'd be fine leaving dd1 at home but if I couldn't bring a nursling I wouldn't be going. She wont take soothers or bottles, I wouldn't make someone watch her.

#21 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

If the person was important enough to you, you would. Or I'd hope you would. It's about the person throwing the party. Not the people attending. It should be however THEY want it to be. And if you don't go, you don't go. But I would think you'd make it work, if the person was important to you enough.

All the people close to me have always had children friendly baby showers.

#22 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

I don't think it's fair to start judging over people's choices.

its not judging she asked straight out
1. Is it ok to request that your guests do not bring their little ones? Would you be offended? What would you say to someone who can't get a sitter? I'm giving people over a months notice.

just because most people are saying they wouldnt go if they couldnt bring their kids does not mean they are judging
baby showers are supposed to be kid friendly and is assumed children are welcome after all the shower is to celebrate the child thats about to be born
nobody i know would pay for a babysitter so they could attend a baby shower instead they just wouldnt go

#23 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

It's been my experience that most people choose not to brings their children to an afternoon shower. Most mums jump at the chance to have daddy watch the kids for a few hours. We've never had more than a couple kids there (and I've thrown 5 showers between myself & sisters). I really don't think theres a need to exclude, just don't explicitly put the kids' names in the invites.

Edited by Danielle, 27 June 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#24 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

just because most people are saying they wouldnt go if they couldnt bring their kids does not mean they are judging
baby showers are supposed to be kid friendly and is assumed children are welcome after all the shower is to celebrate the child thats about to be born
nobody i know would pay for a babysitter so they could attend a baby shower instead they just wouldnt go

Calling someone or their event stupid because you cannot bring your child is judging.

#25 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

i want to say thank you
i forgot to ask my firend
good for this post :)

#26 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

When MDS was 1 week old I was invited to a baby shower and was told to leave my 1 week home even though I was nursing him because they didn't want the spotlight taken from the mom to be and put on my newborn. And those were the exact words. They wanted people to be all over the mom and not want them to see a newborn. Point of story...rude and I didn't go.

A baby shower sure have kids. However if I was asked not to bring my kids (they are boys though) then I wouldn't go.

Wedding shower sure why not? But I guess it depends on the crowd for the wedding shower.

#27 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

This wouldn't sit well with me either. No way I'd leave a 1-week-old nursling home and although yes, people would be all over your baby at first, I'm sure they wouldn't ignore the mom and pay attention only to your baby for the whole baby shower.

When MDS was 1 week old I was invited to a baby shower and was told to leave my 1 week home even though I was nursing him because they didn't want the spotlight taken from the mom to be and put on my newborn. And those were the exact words. They wanted people to be all over the mom and not want them to see a newborn. Point of story...rude and I didn't go.

#28 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:08 AM

I pay a sitter unless specifically told to bring the kids, and even then sometimes I won't bring them.

I too would be livid at people arriving with children if I specified adult only. I still regret caving for my wedding, and I will not be pushed into having kids at an event again.

#29 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

Thank-you very much for all your replies....no more info is needed.

Edited by Lilacmom, 28 June 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#30 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

Wow, I did not realize that so many people take kids to showers. All the showers I go to usually have no kids. I just went to a shower recently and there were no YOUNG children there. This was for a young girl in her 20's so her friends are child rearing age. THere were some girls there that were 10 and up.

I think a shower is a time for the ladies to get away and have a couple hours to themselves. I did not have kids at my wedding either, only the flower girl and ringbearer for a short time. Although my SIL showed up with her 8 month old (that is another story) This child kicked her foot on the highchair all night and that is all you coudl hear.

NOt to mention the drinking and smoking (was still allowed then). NOt a place for a child in my opinion.

#31 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

I didn't get to reply. How about inviting children but only those that are immediate family. Usually thats how we do it or if they have older children then invite the older children.

Now I've been to a baby shower where no children were allowed except the children who belong to the mothers friends, so no relatives were allowed to bring children, that was a disaster.

second shower (and this is where I totally understand) my sil brought her 2 kids (age 7 and 4) and I only brought my ydd (age 7) my sil's girls where so bad, like crawling all over the floor, hiding under tables (yes the 7 yr old did this) the 4 yr old throwing a fit because she didn't want to eat anything. My child just sat there in horror, she has never seen anything like this, she couldn't wait to go home and tell dad about what the girls did (because thats his sister) knowing how bad her children behave she still brought them (they always behave like this so this was nothing new) but I sat at the table, and I was so embarressed, but it did take away from the mother to be and her day.

#32 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

Calling someone or their event stupid because you cannot bring your child is judging.

not really it was her opinion that it was stupid and opinions were asked for