#1 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

What went so wrong so quickly?

Just days ago, Tom Cruise was as exuberant as ever about his love for Katie Holmes, telling PEOPLE that his perfect day is "the time with Kate."

Sadly, those days appear to be over.

On Thursday, five days before Cruise's 50th birthday, Holmes, 33, filed divorce papers in New York, leaving Cruise "deeply saddened" and their fans searching for answers.

Although the couple have faced breakup rumors ever since their whirlwind romance led to an engagement, baby and then marriage, the timing and circumstances of the breakup still came as a shock and raised the question of whether the actor was taken by surprise.

Cruise confirmed that it was Holmes who filed papers not him and the brief statement from his rep spoke of the star needing privacy to "work this out."

#2 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

Not surprising, yet sad as it seems to be non-stop divorces these days - he's a bit nuts and quite an age difference.

#3 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

Good for her!

#4 babybumpkins

babybumpkins

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Good for her!

I agree!! There is something about him i dont like!!

#5 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

It's all the scientology nonsense. He's clearly off his rocker. I say good for her!

#6 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

I never really understood the two of them together anyway, but I do feel badly for him. He genuinely seemed to be in love with her and it seems he wasn't expecting this. I don't knock her for it, but I do feel for him if he was blindsided.

#7 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

She was from a devoted Catholic family.. I always wondered how much of a shock it must have been to have to be submerged in Scientology! Talk about polar opposites!

#8 joeyjoey

joeyjoey

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I think that he is highly controlling. I don't think in a mean, abusive way. But, I do think that he had a lot of mental control over her, and probably due to his involvement in Scientology. Because of this, I think she probably had to be secretive about her plans to leave.

I think the poor girl got in over her head.

#9 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

I think that he is highly controlling. I don't think in a mean, abusive way. But, I do think that he had a lot of mental control over her, and probably due to his involvement in Scientology. Because of this, I think she probably had to be secretive about her plans to leave.

I think the poor girl got in over her head.

Very good point. She probably had no choice but to try to get the separation process going secretively. I always though they were an odd couple to be together, but man did they ever make a beautiful baby!

#10 joeyjoey

joeyjoey

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Very good point. She probably had no choice but to try to get the separation process going secretively. I always though they were an odd couple to be together, but man did they ever make a beautiful baby!

Yes! I still remember when I first saw their pic together in a newspaper --- I thought it was a joke! To me, she was a teeny-bopper from Dawson's Creek, and I couldn't wrap my head around them being a couple!

#11 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

I still believe she only married him because he was Tom Cruise and she had a crush on him.

I remember long ago she did an interview and said she would want to marry Tom Cruise.

#12 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

I read that it was an interview process. Purely business. He interviewed a couple of actresses for the job of "wife", Scarlett Johanssen was "reported" as saying.

Maybe Katie's contract was up. lol

#13 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Apparently in scientoly six is the age that children start schooling which teaches them to honor the cult ( Im sorry I refuse to call it a religion) and cuts ties to the family. She seems like a very involved parent, so I can only imagine the fear and anxiety she was experiencing knowing her very devoted husbands ties to the cult and the recent birthday her daughter had. I would too would run! I hope she gets full custody so that kid can have a normal life free of indoctrination by a group who worship a friggin Sci-Fi writers ramblings.

#14 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

Apparently in scientoly six is the age that children start schooling which teaches them to honor the cult ( Im sorry I refuse to call it a religion) and cuts ties to the family. She seems like a very involved parent, so I can only imagine the fear and anxiety she was experiencing knowing her very devoted husbands ties to the cult and the recent birthday her daughter had. I would too would run! I hope she gets full custody so that kid can have a normal life free of indoctrination by a group who worship a friggin Sci-Fi writers ramblings.

well it may be true about the scientology SHE knew this when she married him and decided to have a child with him anyway
regardless of what you may feel about the religion itself HE is her father and katie does not just deserve full custody because of his religion
he seems to be a very involved parent as well
if she didnt want any child of hers to be involved in scientology then she should have thought of that before marrying him and having children with him

#15 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

Sometimes with certain religions you don't find out about all the beliefs and doctrines of the religion until you've been in for a while. I'm sure she's also matured quite a bit in the last 6 years. I agree with you that Katie shouldn't get full custody just because of Tom's religion, but I don't agree that she would have fully known what she was getting into when marrying him.

well it may be true about the scientology SHE knew this when she married him and decided to have a child with him anyway
regardless of what you may feel about the religion itself HE is her father and katie does not just deserve full custody because of his religion
if she didnt want any child of hers to be involved in scientology then she should have thought of that before marrying him and having children with him

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

So involved that he missed her birthday just the other day.

And I agree, Scientology specifically, is a religion where you know very little until you are accepted in, and you learn more and more as you go. I suspect it's entirely possible that she knew nothing about how that part worked ahead of time.

Just because she wants full custody does not mean she is set to keep Suri away from her Dad completely. From what I understand, he would still have time with her. Katie would just have custody. I see not one single thing wrong with that. I'd be doing everything to save my child from that too!

#17 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

I personally refuse to consider Scientology a religion! This is not like parents debating a bar mitzvah vs confirmation, this is much more severe in nature IMO. Unfortunately in the States, without sole custody, Katie would have to allow Tom to send their daughter away for cult training, meaning her child would be put on a ship, confined to small quarters and forced to sever all ties to family and friends. Sure she knew Tom was a scientologist before getting preganant and marrying him, but how much about that organization did she really know? I dont feel he should lose his right to his child, but as a mother you do everything you can to protect your child and if that means fighting for sole custody to ensure the child is not indoctrinated by a cult-like organization, than so be it. I would do the same thing!

#18 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

How is it that people here know more about Scientology than Katie would have? If it is something you have to be in for a long time to understand, how can you really comment on it?

In my eyes, ALL religions are cults. That doesn't mean they still aren't religions.

#19 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I personally refuse to consider Scientology a religion! This is not like parents debating a bar mitzvah vs confirmation, this is much more severe in nature IMO. Unfortunately in the States, without sole custody, Katie would have to allow Tom to send their daughter away for cult training, meaning her child would be put on a ship, confined to small quarters and forced to sever all ties to family and friends. Sure she knew Tom was a scientologist before getting preganant and marrying him, but how much about that organization did she really know? I dont feel he should lose his right to his child, but as a mother you do everything you can to protect your child and if that means fighting for sole custody to ensure the child is not indoctrinated by a cult-like organization, than so be it. I would do the same thing!

Do you know this for fact from firsthand experience? I don't agree with the religion at all, but unless someone has been in a specific religion then it's all heresay. I used to be part of the Church of Latter-Day Saints and I left because there were specific doctrines I didn't believe in (nothing bad, just some of it odd) and it's one of those "all or nothing" religions imo, not one that you can just live your beliefs on Sundays in or twice a year at Christmas and Easter. The church I belonged to had some of the most wonderful people I've ever met in my life though and I won't knock any of them and although I'd speak openly with people if they had questions about the beliefs in the LDS church, it also aggravates me when falsehoods about it and the people in it are spread. Jehovah's Witnesses are another group that regularly gets bashed, but since I've never been a part of that religion, I can't give an opinion either way on it.

I don't agree with ANY religion that requires people to cut off ties to family and I don't agree with ANY religion that shuns family members or friends that are not part of that religion, but otherwise I think all religions have some weird beliefs and history in them and can lead people to put religion before other things in their life that they should and many religions can lead people to do things they otherwise normally wouldn't, even "good" things. In the LDS church I was in, as I said there were some of the best people I've ever met that were part of that church, and that was true whether I was at the branch in Windsor or many of the other branches I visited in Ontario, but I saw many people in that church who put church service before family time and their families were hurting for it. I'm not part of any religious group now and I'm happy that way. The LDS church actually caused me to finally question my beliefs (I was Catholic for 19 years before joining the LDS church) and made me realize that I didn't believe in the teachings of Christianity and that although all religions could have some good and some bad in them, I couldn't attend any church when I didn't believe 100% in the teachings there and I didn't need to attend any church to live a good life.

As far as Suri goes, if Katie and Tom share custody, she'd have to agree if Suri was to go on any lengthy cruise ship "cult-training." If he doesn't have sole custody then he can't just ship off his daughter without approval from Katie too.

#20 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

i just dont understand why a lot of people just assume she should have sole custody just because she is a mom
thats ridiculous

#21 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

I don't assume she should have sole custody because she's in the mom, I think she should have it because he's crazy and unstable. Maybe she knew exactly to what extent, maybe she didn't, but someone needs to advocate for that child!

#22 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

I don't assume she should have sole custody because she's in the mom, I think she should have it because he's crazy and unstable. Maybe she knew exactly to what extent, maybe she didn't, but someone needs to advocate for that child!

This 100%! Its about the child at the end of the day.

#23 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

This 100%! Its about the child at the end of the day.

i find it hilarious that people think he is unstable and crazy because of his religios beliefs but think she is just fine
she has no morals or values whatsoever she knew all about his scientology beliefs before she married him but she still wanted to marry a man almost old enough to be her father just to further her career
ya what a wonderful role model for her daughter to look up to

i dont agree with scientology either nor do i agree with any religion that tells you how you should be living your life
religion is supposed to be a personal choice not a forced one and they certainly should not be telling you what you should and shouldnt be doing

however that does not mean they are bad parents
if that was the case then many people shouldnt be allowed to have children because their religious beliefs are considered cult like
some consider jehovahs witness a cult same as windsor christian fellowship
should all them people not be allowed to raise children even though they force their beliefs on their children

#24 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

You're assuming you know why she married him. No one knows that but her. There are 10 years between Nick and I and all his friends said the same thing about me. I was nothing but a gold digger and he should get a prenup.

#25 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

Basically every religion tells you how to live your life, to some capacity.

He has proven on on more the one occasion that he is pretty "out there". Not only with religion, but in a lot of things, it would appear.

I personally feel she got caught up in the whirlwind.. How do you tell us not to make assumptions about him, yet you trip all over the ones you're making about her!!

#26 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

Tom WAS crazy, I totally agree. But he hasn't exhibited that kind of behaviour in the past few years, that I've noticed. Really, obviously none of us know the inner workings of their marriage/partnership. We can assume, but that's not gonna help. lol

I think Katie should have full custody, only because she's the one you always see with the kid. I've never really seen pics of Tom with Suri alone. But she always seems glued to her mom's side and that's where I think she should stay.

#27 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

Basically every religion tells you how to live your life, to some capacity.

He has proven on on more the one occasion that he is pretty "out there". Not only with religion, but in a lot of things, it would appear.

I personally feel she got caught up in the whirlwind.. How do you tell us not to make assumptions about him, yet you trip all over the ones you're making about her!!

yes true but i am not saying he should have sole custody for my assumptions as you and others are suggesting she should because of yours
there are 2 parents and when both parents are involved with the child it should be joint custody
its different when there is an abusive situation or if the other parent wants nothing to do with the child then sole custody is then given
moms should not be given sole custody just because they are a mom

Edited by sherri, 06 July 2012 - 07:56 AM.

#28 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

He would still see her! He would have visitations, but she would be with Katie primarily, which as Dana pointed out, was already basically the case. It's true, you really never saw just Tom and Suri. It's always Suri with Katie.

ETA: From what I've been reading, I think Katie did a lot of strategic moves to prevent what happened to Nicole, to happen to her. Nicole basically lost both the kids Tom and she had adopted..

Edited by Jill, 06 July 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#29 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

the more I read and hear the more I wonder about the type of person Tom really is. There was a segment on gma today and they were talking about his other children. did you all know that his 2 other children were homeschooled because scienctology told them to do it. I think this cult has more to do with it than anything else. Katie didn't know everything about it till she was married and deeper in it with tom.

#30 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

i find it hilarious that people think he is unstable and crazy because of his religios beliefs but think she is just fine
she has no morals or values whatsoever she knew all about his scientology beliefs before she married him but she still wanted to marry a man almost old enough to be her father just to further her career
ya what a wonderful role model for her daughter to look up to

You don't know why she married him. The age thing is quite a stretch, but I know several people who married with a wide age gap and are still married over a decade later, which is more than you can say for a lot of marriages these days.

I think Katie should have full custody, only because she's the one you always see with the kid. I've never really seen pics of Tom with Suri alone. But she always seems glued to her mom's side and that's where I think she should stay.

I agree wtih you on this. She was the primary caregiver before the split and she should still be the primary caregiver after the split. He can still see Suri regularly even if he doesn't have sole custody.

#31 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'm hearing they settled? Katie has primary and Tom will have visitations.. No scientology crap for Suri at all

#32 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

I'm hearing they settled? Katie has primary and Tom will have visitations.. No scientology crap for Suri at all

Great news! So glad they worked it out so quickly, hopefully it stays amicable.