7 replies to this topic

#1 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

I know we talked about this before but it's been a while. Where do you like to camp? why???
we are looking to go - either here in canada or across the border- we don't really want to go longer than 2 hours away.

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

I like Rondeau Prov Park. large sites, many fairly private. Nice playground, lots of room to ride bikes, pier for fishing and watching the sun set, beach is shallow, stores in and near the park that have ice cream, snacks, supplies and food.

Wheatly Prov Park is nice too I like the sites there since they are usually quite private and large. Good playground, lots of places to walk and bike ride. The beach is not as nice since there is a cliff you have to find a way down (there is access but, not a lot)

jellystone is OK, small sites, no privacy but, tons to do with the kids.

Leisure Lake...again small, open sites but, a good amount to do with the kids. My ex has a seasonal spot there and T loves it.

KOA near London is Ok too...again the sites are not great but, they have an indoor pool (unheated last I knew) and people are very friendly.

I grew up camping at Fanshaw conservation area in London....they have lots of different sites and lot of nature type things to do. A small beach, nice playgrounds, a pioneer village right there, boating and lots of walking trails. (though last time I was there about 80% was seasonal sites and the atmosphere was not what it had been when I was growing up)

I really am partial to Provincial type parks since they tend to have nicer sites. For me camping is about being more in nature. For others it is about sleeping in a tent/camper and having things for the kids to do.

#3 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

going to rochester place this coming weekend, my friend has two trailers there, we got a lot right behind, so i will let you know...
Jellystone is so close to home, and great for the kids, busy lots to do.

I havent been anywhere really other than jellystone, we bought a trailer end of last summer, and i only have let friends borrow it, havent actually used it myself. I cant wait to prove my friends wrong and GO and LIKE camping! ( it cant be that bad, it has a/c and furnace, lol oh and bathtub/shower, and full fridge,)

#4 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

see we always camp at jellystone.... we go to campers cove the last week of summer - and we stay at rochester place-
I like to camp - have stores close by (i always forget stuff) but like a campground- I love to hike-

#5 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

I asked T a couple of days ago if he wanted to go to jellystone for a few days this summer and he said no! I was shocked. Today I asked if he'd like to go somewhere else to camp and he was not very enthusiastic but, decided "sure, why not". So I asked "why not Jellystone? Is it too busy there for you?" He said it is, even mid-week when I was planning on going. (He really is an odd child LOL)

#6 Karen

Karen

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Our favorite is The Pinery- very rustic, not too far from home, great beaches.

Within Essex, we do Sturgeon Woods- clean, family friendly with kid activities, close to Pt. Pelee and Leamington

Stateside, you should try Silver Lake, Michigan. It's further than 2 hours but well worth it to experience the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan. We have stayed at the Jellystone there and enjoyed the "cottagy" atmosphere, sand dunes, beaches, renting a boat for a few hours...

I'm always looking for other places close to home as well so thanks for asking!

#7 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

Our favorite is The Pinery- very rustic, not too far from home, great beaches.

Within Essex, we do Sturgeon Woods- clean, family friendly with kid activities, close to Pt. Pelee and Leamington

Stateside, you should try Silver Lake, Michigan. It's further than 2 hours but well worth it to experience the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan. We have stayed at the Jellystone there and enjoyed the "cottagy" atmosphere, sand dunes, beaches, renting a boat for a few hours...

I'm always looking for other places close to home as well so thanks for asking!

I think the Silver Lake KOA is where we stayed a few times when I was growing up. It was very nice and everyone was SO friendly! Some places with a good amount of seasonal campers seem kind of stuck up when it comes to "weekenders". This was one of the place that everyone was great though! (we had some really bad weather one time, a few campers and tents badly damaged due to wind from the tornado close by the seasonal campers there helped even us weekenders clean up, asses damage and repair after offering many of us shelter from the storm as well as the next night for those who lost tents and trailers!)

#8 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Ugh I wish I could convince dp to camp..he is 'against' it with a baby? I took the girls 'camping' in a friends backyard last weekend & dd1 had a blast (& dd2 sttn so I'm going to say she enjoyed it too)..We live right near driftwood provincial park as well as algonquin..I want to be out there but it isn't worth a battle (& I cant get the tent up on my own watching them).

If anyone wants to camp REALLY far away and wants a buddy I am down, lol.

I am actually probably going to stay in Windsor extra this summer to attempt camping there.

Edited by moonlightblonde, 05 July 2012 - 12:18 PM.