21 replies to this topic

#1 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

We have been using disposable diapers at night for a couple months now as DS was waking up in the middle of the night soaked and we think this contributed to a rash (and him waking). Really would like to find a combination that works since I have spent a bunch on various hemp products to try to solve the night time thing. Hoping some CD people can offer advice and which item to put where! He does also wake up often quite wet with the disposables too but less rash issues. I'm wondering about the Huggies Night time if I can't get this CD thing to work for night. Really want him to get sleeping through most nights before I go back to work in Oct.

This is what we have to play around with:

BG 4.0 pocket diapers (and the 3.0's but they're smaller so the others hold night time inserts etc better)
3 Hemp Babies Diaper Doublers 55% Hemp, 45% Certified Organic Cotton (the skinny ones)
2 Thirsties hemp doublers (big thick ones that take forever to dry)
1 Sugar Peas Jamtots Fleece Topped Organic Hemp Doubler (is on order, supposed to be 3 layers I think)
BG StayDry Doublers
BG StayDry liners
newborn BG inserts

For daytime, I use one BG insert in pocket and 1 StayDry liner by bum. For naps, one BG insert in pocket and 1 StayDry Doubler by bum. This seems to work fine. Sometimes he's really wet after a nap but no leaks - and actually, no leaks ever with the 4.0's, just totally soaked at night which contributes to him waking I think (and maybe rash).

I have tried various night time combinations, mostly putting the hemp doublers (1, 2 or 3 of the skinny ones along with the regular insert; Thirsties + 1 Hemp Babies skinny one) inside the pocket but should I put them outside? Should you put hemp right beside babie's bum? I am thinking it's preferable to have fleece there? I have tried hemp inserts inside with the BG StayDry doubler by babie's bum and also tried StayDry liner by baby's bum.

Help please!

#2 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

dd has extrmely sensitive skin and had major issues with rash and diaper sensitivity. We did a combination of fuzzy bums and PC Green diapers and that worked really well for us. The green diapers are very absorbant and did not irritate the skin. We also used klorane baby eryteal cream for preventing and healing rash and skin irritation and it works amazing! Only available at the pharmacy on the corner of Walker and Tecumseh Rd, but seriously worth the trip to have a happy bum :)

#3 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

take those BG 4.0s and stuff them with a green edge prefold that is pad folded.
its bullet proof. It was my go to combo to keep a nearly 3 year old, 12 hour sleeper who's morning pee was like Niagara falls dry.

#4 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

i "briefly" did CD... and my ds wet like no tomorrow, this may sound silly, but in the inserts, in the middle i cut up some sham wows, put that in between, hemp doublers, and that was better. those sham wows hold anything!

#5 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

I stuff the 4.0s or Kawaii with a microfiber insert and a hemp doubler & that works most nights. The hemp needs to be the farthest from the baby's bum because it absorbs more slowly.

Another option I explored was wool covers. They wear them as pants over the CD at night and they absorb any pee that leaks thru. That's a last resort for us though.

#6 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hemp in a pocket diaper with a microsuede liner always worked best for ds, who was a heavy wetter at night, but it sounds like you've tried hemp.

#7 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

Invest in a good, thick, overnight wool soaker. You can use fleece as a more affordable alternative but it doesn't work as well.

#8 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

I use Green Line fleece diaper cover with a flip insert and she`s dry in the morning.

#9 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

I stuff the 4.0s or Kawaii with a microfiber insert and a hemp doubler & that works most nights. The hemp needs to be the farthest from the baby's bum because it absorbs more slowly.

Another option I explored was wool covers. They wear them as pants over the CD at night and they absorb any pee that leaks thru. That's a last resort for us though.

So are you saying to put the hemp underneath the microfibre in the pocket? I don't want to get into wool covers. He's almost 14 months now and hoping he will be a much earlier trainer than DD.

Edited by chat_cath, 10 July 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#10 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

i "briefly" did CD... and my ds wet like no tomorrow, this may sound silly, but in the inserts, in the middle i cut up some sham wows, put that in between, hemp doublers, and that was better. those sham wows hold anything!

lmao @ sham-wows...do you happen to still have them around?

#11 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Invest in a good, thick, overnight wool soaker. You can use fleece as a more affordable alternative but it doesn't work as well.

Do you mean as an insert? I haven't heard of wool ones.

#12 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

take those BG 4.0s and stuff them with a green edge prefold that is pad folded.
its bullet proof. It was my go to combo to keep a nearly 3 year old, 12 hour sleeper who's morning pee was like Niagara falls dry.

I haven't heard of green edge prefolds before. I'll have to google.

#13 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hemp in a pocket diaper with a microsuede liner always worked best for ds, who was a heavy wetter at night, but it sounds like you've tried hemp.

I've tried some hemp but just not sure if I'm putting it in best spot in diaper for best results. And have 1 more different style of hemp on order to try too.

#14 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

When I used a hemp liner (in a BB stuffable pocket) I would put it at the bottom-- farthest from the skin and last before the actually PUL. Is your BG liner soaked?? That may be the issue-- babe is flooding and the hemp is not soaking it up quickly enough. So stuff the pocket with the BG liner as well as a hemp at the bottom and see if that works.

#15 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

When I used a hemp liner (in a BB stuffable pocket) I would put it at the bottom-- farthest from the skin and last before the actually PUL. Is your BG liner soaked?? That may be the issue-- babe is flooding and the hemp is not soaking it up quickly enough. So stuff the pocket with the BG liner as well as a hemp at the bottom and see if that works.

So in the pocket, put the hemp doubler at the bottom closest to PUL (that I will try as did it reverse), then the microfibre insert, then by baby's bum, should I use the BG Stay Dry liner or the BG Stay Dry doubler or nothing there? It's a bit confusing with all these words "liner", "insert", "doubler"!

#16 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

So in the pocket, put the hemp doubler at the bottom closest to PUL (that I will try as did it reverse), then the microfibre insert, then by baby's bum, should I use the BG Stay Dry liner or the BG Stay Dry doubler or nothing there? It's a bit confusing with all these words "liner", "insert", "doubler"!

Yes and yes to the hemp doubler & microfiber insert, but I don't know about the BG Stay Dry Liner & doubler. I've never heard of those.

I hope this solves it for you. The hemp absorbs more slowly so that's why it goes under the microfiber.

#17 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

I've tried some hemp but just not sure if I'm putting it in best spot in diaper for best results. And have 1 more different style of hemp on order to try too.

I would put two hemp prefolds (those big squares that you can fold in many different ways) in a pocket diaper and that seemed to work for ds as he rarely had leaks that way and it wasn't too thick for him to still be comfortable. It was a hemp blend prefold I used, but I'm not sure what the blend was (hemp/terry maybe?).

#18 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

nighttime I used Bum genius with 2 bamboo prefolds stuffed in them

#19 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

I generally use a greenline bamboo insert in a flip cover or a bge so I am no help. I don't do microfiber & we have no rashes.

Definitely try hemp at the bottom - sometimes I wrap a bamboo doubler around a hemp insert & it works great.

Gl mama =)

#20 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yep, you'll want to put the hemp underneath the microfiber in the pocket. Microfiber is good at soaking up liquid quickly but cannot hold a lot. Hemp absorbs very slowly but can hold a large amount.

By wool soaker I meant a wool cover, it's a type of pull on cover. I see you said you didn't want to get into that though. It was honestly the only thing that saved our sheets, my girls were such heavy wetters that there was no pocket diaper combo that would work reliably. If you're getting major leaks you need more absorbency but if you're only getting dampness wool will definitely solve the problem. You can try fleece too. It's not as good as wool but it's affordable and again, if you're only getting a little bit of dampness then it will contain it and keep the sheets from getting wet.

#21 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

Another thing I'm thinking in terms of his rash is that the PUL might be too much for his skin overnight. An alternative would be a good overnight fitted diaper (you can get some that are fleece lined to keep the moisture off of his skin) and then cover that with a good overnight wool soaker. My girls could not do PUL over night.

#22 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Another thing I'm thinking in terms of his rash is that the PUL might be too much for his skin overnight. An alternative would be a good overnight fitted diaper (you can get some that are fleece lined to keep the moisture off of his skin) and then cover that with a good overnight wool soaker. My girls could not do PUL over night.

Maybe the PUL thing overnight is the issue? But I don't think I really want to get into buying more diapers and then wool covers. I will for sure try the various hemp doublers under the microfiber inserts I have and see what happens.

Thank you everyone!!!!!