8 replies to this topic

#1 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Any working moms holding or thinking of holding a second job? Does it or would it be even more challenging?

I have held two at some points in time...one job with someone else and one job as my own business. I found that the second one I had much more control over my time and made it very easy to balance home and work.

#2 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Ah- see you other post about Adrenal Fatigue LOL
I worked 2 jobs for many years. But once I had kids I only do 1. I can barely handle it all with 1. I can't imagine adding another into the mix. But pre-kids it was totally doable

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

I worked 80 hours a week for many years until I got married. I keep thinking about getting a second job seriously so I can pay off the house and quit all together.

#4 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

i think if this often just to get that 2nd income but being a single mom and work one full time job I would have no time with my kids.

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

I had 3 jobs for a while. Didn't last long tough. When T was born I had my own business pet sitting. When he was about a year I wanted to work as a Vet Tech again and took a weekend job at Walker Road Ani Hosp. I loved my job and needed to make more money so I took a second part time job, 4hrs a day, mon-fri.

I worked all 3 jobs for about 6 months. It was pure, hell. I was never home, I spent a total of 6 waking hours at home over 3 days at Christmas (Christmas eve day, Christmas Day and Boxing day). I was always tired, to the point I shivered constantly and could not get warm no matter what I did.

I quit my weekend job. After another 2yrs of working 2 jobs I decided to stop pet sitting too. (hard job with long hours and busiest times when kids are not in school.)

Since my separation I have seriously considered working 2 jobs. I just can't see the money being worth the time I'd give up with T.

#6 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

ya.....there comes a point when you have to say to yourself that enough is enough and that time can be better spent at home with family!

#7 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

ya.....there comes a point when you have to say to yourself that enough is enough and that time can be better spent at home with family!

Exactly!

And if you live simple and manage your money properly, there should be no need for a 2nd job.

#8 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hell no!! I LOVE working 12s and having so much time off for LIFE! I work about 6 shifts every two weeks, equals out to less hours than some full time jobs, but I am compensated well so it works out all around! I always have at least 7-8 days off every two weeks, and I know not a lot of people can say the same!

Nursing 12's ROCKS! hehe You couldn't pay me to work a 9-5 Mon-Fri, not now anyway. Maybe when my kids are older and don't need us as much, but for now this works so perfectly well for us! I work some weekends, two in a row this month, but it works out because the kids are off for vacation, so it's not different, really. This is my last month before mat leave, so I'm working a lot!

I would never, ever sacrifice my time with the kids, and my time to live life.. not unless I absolutely HAD to! I worked sooo hard to get where I am, now is the pay off, and it feels awesome!

Edited by Jill, 14 August 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#9 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

I did work 2 jobs right after ODS was born. I worked at the CVS and it was conveniently on the way home from my full-time job. I would get home after 10pm and since ODS was still young, he would either make himself NOT go to sleep or he would wake up when I got home just so he could see me. Then I had the fun job of trying to get him back to sleep. That lasted almost 7 months and that was only because I didn't have the time to sit down and really do the bills. When I did have a 4-day weekend off from both jobs, I did the bills, calculated our budget with the new job and realized I was only bringing home an additional $40 a month. The drawback was that since I wasn't making enough money, they weren't taking out the right tax amount, so at the end of the year we actually owed money. So it was a lose for our family. But your taxes could be calculated differently than the States.

You should sit down and do a Pro / Con list with an itemized area for costs to have that part-time job.