7 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Has anyone used second career for returning to school?

Im looking at going back AGAIN in September and likely qualify since I was laid off in 2008, returned to school and am still unable to find employment (sad I know). Im wondering how much they actually helped, what was included, books, did they cover daycare expenses etc... I know you get between $8000-$13000 depending on your income etc...

Im looking at going back and taking nursing or medical radiation technology since both are in demand in this area.

Any info appreciated :)

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

They have changed it recently. I just looked at the web site and they have changed it again since I looked into it back in Feb.

Web site

#3 pfitzy

pfitzy

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

i went through second career and i just started my internship today. i took the community service worker program at trios. altogether they've given me around $30000!! paid my full tuition (program length must be 2 yrs or less)plus books, paid for my childcare (2 kids), and give me a weekly living allowance, which is around $220/wk. i know it's different for everyone, but this is based on me being a single mother, owning my own home and vehicle, with no other income.

#4 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

Im going to do the meeting just to see whats available to me. What do I have to lose right?

#5 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

Im going to do the meeting just to see whats available to me. What do I have to lose right?

ITA! I'm planning another meeting at the Unemployment Help Center also. I only have 7 weeks left of EI (YIKES!!)

#6 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

ITA! I'm planning another meeting at the Unemployment Help Center also. I only have 7 weeks left of EI (YIKES!!)

Did you find them helpful? They already told me that finding work in my field of training is tough, but they would try to offer other options?

#7 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I didn't find them helpful really. The worker I talked to sent me some messages about jobs that were "way out there" for me. I had not been off that long when I went in so I wasn't looking that hard then either and she knew that though. She didn't offer me anything really.

But, I plan on using their resources soon. My issue is that for their resume writing help you have to take their job hunting seminar first. (I took one 10yrs ago when they were mandatory with EI and hated it!). I will take it because I need the help with my resume so badly. I have no idea how to write one for any other job than Vet tech LOL.

#8 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

See I don't want to do the classes. I took a business and workplace prep course and feel it a waste of three days (for me at least) to go over something I already did. Im hoping to get reliable information about what to retrain in to find work in this area and not just the overall hiring percentages which are province wide and therfore inaccurate.