6 replies to this topic

#1 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

I will be putting my resume out at all the vet clinics in the area again but, I know none are hiring since many have had lay-offs or are not replacing people who leave to downsize. SO, I know I also have to look at other options.

My problem is I have no idea where to start. I have only worked in the vet industry for my entire adult life. Before that I was a waitress and I don't want to go back to that. I don't know what I want to do even. I need a job, we cannot live off BFs income alone. I don't really care where I work. I just need to work!

I will likely be applying to places like McD's, Timmies, retail places. How do I do this? I don't even know how to write a resume or cover letter of these type of jobs! What are the "keywords" they look for.

Another question...I have T every other weekend. I will not work those weekends if at all possible. I don't know how to tell this to prospective employers. I will likely be giving up my time during the week with him so I cannot see giving up my weekends too.

I'm also looking for some "non-traditional" idea....heck I mentioned to my BF I think I'll toss resumes at the funeral homes because I am good at at least pretending to be empathetic LOL. (actually, I am very good at handling death of loved ones since I did it so much as a vet tech) I'd love ideas of other jobs that are a little outside the box!

HELP!!! I'm totally lost! I have 5 weeks EI left then I need to find work very shortly thereafter because we will be beyond not being able to pay bills if not.

#2 babybumpkins

babybumpkins

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Timmies is really good with being flexible! The probkem with retail is weekends r usually worked, some r willing to work with u but not a whole lot:( What about grooming at Petsmart?? They often hire..or even start ur own grooming business. My neighbour does really well! As for the resume, just look online at eg's n go from there or pay someone to do it:) ..Good luck!!!!

#3 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

If you want to pm me your email address, I can send you 4 samples of resumes I've done for people. Many of them were looking for work in a field other than what they were currently in. As far as the schedule, I think many employers would be willing to be flexible in that situation, especially since you seem to have a fairly consistent schedule.

#4 theresab

theresab

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

I know that the new video store on Malden Rd. In LaSalle has a huge sign in the window that they are hiring for all positions...where the blockbuster used to be. Other then that, try the Zehrs on Malden. My DD's friend just got hired there for evenings...but if they are hiring maybe they are looking to fill daytime shifts as well??

#5 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

Loblaws, Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart are all regularly hiring ( my brother just got hired at Walmart) and have fairly flexible work hours. You apply online and don't necessarily need a resume since you are filling in all the info in their form. You can attach any certifications (good to scan) which is alway good. If you do have a resume, it should be clean and to the point, specify your skills and most recent (last three) jobs. Look-up "functional-resume" thats a good style to use.

Loblaws

Lowes

Home Depot

Shoppers

Also with back to school, a lot of retail stores like Home Sense, Winners, Bouclair, Home Outfitters etc… tend to have day openings and usually don't need weekend or just one weekend a month. Tim Hortons at Walker @ Division is hiring again.

Good luck! Job hunting sucks!

#6 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

Thanks all....I think I am just really bumming right now and that is adding to my anxiety over where to start looking.

#7 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

Stay positive and keep working at it!