9 replies to this topic

#1 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Just wondering if there were some working mom tips on homework with kids?

For me, the after school latch key was a great solution to having the kids do all their work by the time I picked them up to go home. Made night so activities so much better and less pressure of having to get them done with my schedule.

Do you have any tips or areas to be cautious of?

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

Don't make homework the focus of your evening.

When ODS was young and I worked until 6pm Mon-Fri our life was pure hell because of homework.

I have come to realize that it is not "that" important to cause friction in the family. If there is a night during the week where it is just too much to do homework, communicate that with the teacher. If you just find yourself to busy to help with homework and it doesn't get done, write a note to the teacher.

Homework is important. But, your family functioning is much more important.

I found that having ODS do homework while I prepared dinner was ideal for us. I'd have him do it at the kitchen table so I was right there if he had problems.

I don't have any issues with T. He comes home, has a snack and does his homework. Without me even asking! This is only grade 4 but, by now I was literally yelling at ODS on a regular basis to do his homework. T doing his so easily gives me hope that we won't have as many of the same issues!

#3 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

My ds is quite shy at school, so social time after school with the neighbour friend is important to me. Last year I picked and chose what he did. If he was struggling with something, then we did it. If it was math we did it. But colour for instance- no that wasn't done. Luckily he hardly had any homework last year anyways. This year is gearing up to be a bit more intense though, so we shall see

#4 suejw

suejw

member since march 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

I use outside time as an incentive, if they do their homework when they get off the bus, before I get home, then they will have time to play outside when I get home. If they don't do their homework, they are stuck inside. Since they are stuck inside till I get home, it's a good time to do the homework. Then I check it over and help them with anything they need help with when I get home. I find they actually do their homework better when I'm not home, once I get home they start kicking up a fuss.

#5 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

45 minutes tonight- Grade 3. too much

#6 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

45 minutes tonight- Grade 3. too much

I believe the rule of thumb is 10-15 minutes per grade level. Not sure if reading is included but they should always read at least 15 min a day.

#7 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

No- that's is not even starting the reading yet. But he goes to bed and reads every night anyways- so I am not worried about that at all. He gets a good 30 minutes a day and more if I let him

#8 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

great suggestions...keep them coming!!!!

#9 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

T has had a lot of homework the past 2 nights. This is a first for him. This is assigned actual homework, not just stuff he didn't finish in class. Until this year his "homework" has been basically study for spelling and finish whatever you didn't get done in class. On occasion there was something, like a project, they all needed to do outside class but, not often. T was lucky and got most of his work done in school so, until this year, homework was mostly a "choice" for him. (I kept telling him, get it done in class then you won't have to do it at home. I knew his teachers gave lots of time to complete the work and his homework was due to him goofing off instead of doing work)

Another thing I thought of. Figure out your child's learning style. ODS was a tactile learner who needed distractions kept to a minimum. T, I still haven't totally figured out yet. It depends on the type of work for him. But, I know he is like me when it comes to "distraction" he needs that background noise. He can and does do his homework with the TV on. He is great at pacing himself also. Now and then he gets frustrated and I have to tell him to take a break but, he usually does it well on his own. If he allows the TV to distract him, I only have to remind him that he is making the choice to be distracted and watch TV instead of doing his homework. He usually either goes back to it right away or decides when he will....then follows through! (DAMN I am lucky with him!!! I have almost never had to argue with him about his homework. But, then I have made it his personal responsibility all his life and made him take the responsibility for it)

Edited by Trea, 13 September 2012 - 08:16 AM.

#10 Stepmomof2

Stepmomof2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

I use outside time as an incentive, if they do their homework when they get off the bus, before I get home, then they will have time to play outside when I get home. If they don't do their homework, they are stuck inside. Since they are stuck inside till I get home, it's a good time to do the homework. Then I check it over and help them with anything they need help with when I get home. I find they actually do their homework better when I'm not home, once I get home they start kicking up a fuss.

This works best in our home also, they don't mind dragging out homework when they know the next step is bed time but if they know that if they get their homework done they can play outside they actually sit and concentrate on what needs to be done!