9 replies to this topic

#1 pfitzy

pfitzy

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

will i kill my cat if i put dog flea meds on him? it's the kirkland brand, comparable to frontline. . .even if i just use a tiny bit?? thanks :)

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

What are the ingredients?

Some are extremely toxic, some are safe.

From what I can read in a quick search, it is NOT the same as Frontline. It is like Bio spot which contains ingredients toxic to cats. It should not be used in a home with cats even. For that matter, with kids!

#3 pfitzy

pfitzy

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

EEK! that's scary!
the active ingredients are etofenprox, methoprene, and piperonyl butoxide technical. . .

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

I honestly don't know much about those ingredients since they are only in OTC meds. I don't trust any of the OTC topicals for fleas. I do use Hartz for ticks, or I did, now that I have a cat I won't be using it. I still need to find what I will do for ticks this fall since anything that is actually effective is toxic to cats. :(

#5 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Etofenprox can be toxic to cats so I wouldnt use it, in fact I wont use any dog product on cats or otc for that matter, even though I know others who do without issue. Better safe than sorry. I use Advantage for my dogs and nothing on my indoor cats, although I like Frontline Plus for outdoor cats. My mum uses it on her group and it works well.

#6 pfitzy

pfitzy

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

ok. . .thanks, ladies :)

#7 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

Don't do it. Please see a vet. The stuff you get from a vet is far better then OTC stuff.

#8 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

we only use advantix on both dogs and cat.
I am sure it would have a warning on the label if it was harmful to kids and cats...

#9 amandae

amandae

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

I once used the cat stuff from Hartz, and my cats both acted sick, and were foaming at the mouth..scarey! I read up on it, and rinsed it off right away! Since then, we have used Advantage with NO problems at all! No more fleas, and cats were fine with it. We get it in the States though, from Meijer. It's a lot cheaper then getting it from the vet, but I would much rather do that, then buy OTC stuff ever again! They have pesticide in it, along with other toxic chemicals. I don't think
using the dog stuff on cats is very safe. Sometimes even certain kinds that the dog has on, will affect cats from just being around them!

#10 amandae

amandae

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Just want to say that I don't know anything about the Kirkland brand though. I didn't even know they had that stuff there!