34 replies to this topic

#1 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Tell me all you know :) What kinds did you love? Whats the average price range? How many do I need? Do you really need special soap to clean them? What about stains?

#2 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

Sweetheart diapers has a lot of good info on their website, and if you go into the store she will show you all the different kinds and educate about it.

I love cloth diapering, but since my 3rd was born I'm not so into it with 2 in diapers. I've been using disposables for now until I make a final decision. I mention this because I may eventually be selling my entire huge stash of one size pocket diapers.

Edited by Danielle, 22 September 2012 - 11:20 PM.

#3 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

grr I hate a huge post and it got deleted.

You don't have to use special soap I just do because its better for the environment.

I use exclusively GreenLine covers over their soakers or flip inserts.

I have 30ish inserts and wash every 2 to 3 days.
I have way more covers than is needed because they are so cute.
Sun takes out most stains. When they are eating solids I put in a flushable liner.

Any other questions I'm always here to ask.

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I bought all mine second hand for T. I had a mixture of AIO and regular fitted. I think I paid around $2-3 each. I had about 2 dozen to begin with. Some didn't last long, others I gave away when I was done with them.

The one thing I wish I had done....save the money I would have spent on disposables so that when T outgrew the cloth ones I had i could have gotten more. I had to give up on the cloth around 8months old just because he had outgrown all the ones I had and I could not afford to go buy another dozen or 2. I couldn't find any second hand either.

#5 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

cloth diapering is so much different than it was when was T was small.SO many WAHM diapers, diaperswappers, etc.

#6 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Danielle - if you do sell, LMK!! :)

I have cloth diapered all my babies - for newborns, I love prefolds and fitteds with covers, for bigger babies, pockets. For detergent I use Rockin' Green that I get from Well.ca and stains I sun out.

More than happy to talk diapers in a PM or facebook, but I also second going to Sweetheart diapers and getting her to show you what they have! She's awesome :)

#7 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

I used mainly pocket diapers and stuff them with hemp/cotton inserts. I found that to be the most reliable and trimmest option. Around the house I did sometimes use fitteds or prefolds with a cover, but 95% of the time I used pocket diapers. I used Wonderoos (I don't think they are sold anymore, but they were my favourites), Happy Heiny's (solids were okay, but the prints developed holes and sometimes leaked) and Fuzzibunz (worked well, but I liked the fit of the Wonderoo snap set-up better). Pocket diapers are the most expensive way to go, but it was worth it for me for the convenience and fit of them.

I didn't use any special soap, but I did make sure to do an extra rinse to make sure it was all out. I had about 30 diapers total, but you could probably get by well with around 24 and not all of those would have to be pocket diapers. You could have 15 pocket diapers and 5-10 fitteds with a cover and then some prefolds for in a pinch. Prefolds are the cheapest way to go and are handy to have for when all your other diapers are in the wash or if baby has a rash and you want to let more air circulation in the bum area.

#8 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

The GreenLine diapers are used are way more trim than pockets!!!

#9 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

I was looking at the bum genius website and they have one that's called free time and it looks to be really user friendly. I have hubby convinced to go look at it at least. Lol it's a start.

#10 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

Amber has had problems with BG elastics already and her DD isn't that old.

#11 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Amber has had problems with BG elastics already and her DD isn't that old.

It's true, though I do still like them when they die I wont be getting more. I use bg flips & bge. I'm not a fan of mf so I wouldn't do freetimes. My elementals are doing fine but the flip elastic is loosening (& I hang dry!)

I've done cloth since birth. WAY easier than I expected. Just make sure if you have someone helping you with laundry they know what they are doing. We just got back from Windsor & my lovely bil switched the laundry for me without telling me, bah - he put EVERYTHING in the dryer (I hang covers), didn't put them on bulky (bge's take forever to dry) AND put in a dryer sheet so I'm having repelling.

Covers and small flats are my diaper of choice - I padfold. They are trimmer than prefolds, will last forever, I can bleach or w/e without worry, they dry really fast & are super cheap. I like having some greenline bamboo inserts for over night/when changes wont be very frequent (ie. super long car rides).

#12 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

What's mf?

#13 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

It's been a bit crazy figuring things out with cloth for second baby but I'm glad I did. If I had started with baby #1 then I would have been able to use what I learned longer and save money for sure. There were many things I didn't know and never thought about for cloth.

Decided to CD for DS because a friend lent me her Bum Genius 3.0 one size pocket velcro diapers. I then bought some FuzziBunz one size (snaps) on sale. Started cloth when son was 8 months old, and because I have a taller, larger baby, the FB barely fit him right from the start as they're meant to be trimmer and less bulky although they say sizing is "birth to potty". The FB adjust with buttons in the legs which is quite annoying and the BG adjust in front with snaps. The BG have plenty of room in them - and the new BG 4.0's are even bigger. I had 11 month DS on second snap (up & down) setting for BG while the old BG's he was at largest setting but there was plenty of room for a long time. Could only use the FB during the day & not nap time as couldn't fit the extra insert inside the pocket and the FB's were too snug and got very wet with just the one insert for napping. There is a new FB Elite which is improved as the inserts are skinnier softer microfibre so they both fit inside but I don't think they held much more than the 1 old insert; the diapers themselves are trimmer and fit DS a bit better. Newborns don't usually fit into one size diapers although maybe the FB since they are trimmer so you'll have to decide if you want sized diapers or one size ones. If you buy sized ones, you probably won't save that much money unless for a couple kids.

Both kinds of diapers I have/had are pocket diapers which are easy to put on and off with no folding or anything, but after washing, it takes awhile to reassemble the diapers as you have to stuff the inserts back in each diaper. There are some that are covers with an inserted inside, two brands Grovia and Cotton Babies Flip, that I think I would look at if I was to do this again as you don't always have to wash the cover each time and you just plop the insert into the diaper and for diaper bag, wouldn't take up much room as you would only maybe need 1 spare cover and a couple inserts instead of full diapers which are bulky. I do really like the BG 4.0 with snaps though! They are an awesome diaper and had only had 1 leak with them ever. I would also maybe consider the BG all-in-one but have heard they take a long time to dry and are a bit annoying as compared to pocket diaper. I thought the velcro was great initially as easy to cinch where you want it, but since baby 10-11 months, he drove me bananas ripping the velcro off at change time! That's why I bought the BG snap diaper, sold my FB's and twice bought more BG snap ones (Ava's Appletree online from TO area lowest price around for them $20.95 and had sale buy 5 get 1 free).

Liners & Inserts - At first I bought disposable liners for the poop. Then I realized there were resuable ones so bought Bummis ones. They fit the FB diapers well but are a bit flimsy and small for the BG so I bought some BG Cotton Babies liners which are better. Makes it easier to dump the poop and to spray off if needed. Bought various hemp inserts for night time as awhile back DS got bad rash and you can't use regular diaper creams with cloth diapers. Tried some cloth safe creams etc. but didn't work so put him in disposables with Sudocrem for a few days to heal. This happened twice so thought it was the wetness of the overnight diapers that gave him rash even though we were using both BG inserts as well as some Stay Dry Cotton Baby liners for night. Have been using Huggies overnight diapers since then and he has been fine - and we've gotten rid of the FB. Going to give the hemp inserts a try for night again soon. Only had one minor stain in all cloth diapers because didn't have a liner in there and he pooped and left the poop for a bit before dumping it. Natural sunlight apparently is great for getting stains out.

Laundry/Time - You will be doing A LOT of laundry, 2-3 days for diapers. It takes a good 2 hours for a wash cycle as first you do cold rinse (30 min on my HE machine), then do hot wash with double rinse (about 1 1/2 hours). Then drying and putting the diapers back together takes probably another 60-75 minutes - often I do this the next day so not sure what will happen when I go back towork next week! I use Rockin' Green detergent for the diapers. You only use 1-2 Tbsp so it goes a long way and at least I know it's made for diapers.

Wet bags - You'll need a bunch of these. I LOVE the Rumperooz ones I found at sogreenbaby.com (on clearance now). They hold a lot of diapers and are a sort of 3D shape and have great colours and patterns although most gone now). For the diaper pail (large, cheap one from WalMart you can use foot for) you use a large liner bag - I have the matching Rumperooz ones. You for sure need 2 liner bags for changing over when you do laundry. I keep the poopy diapers in the bathroom in a small wet bag hanging from towel bar, after spraying them. A sprayer is a good investment if you hate poop like me; used for potty training too! I have diaper pail with big liner in DS's room. I also have some wet bag/diaper pail powders to help freshen the pail and room. You could just use a drop of lavender on a cloth to put in there but I like the gingerbread scent (LaundryTarts) of the one I have.

Wipes - I have Grovia wipes, nice and thick. I put about 15 in an empty wipes container and I have a wipe solution concentrate Punkin Booty (first bought from sogreenbaby then bought directly from company as have so many varieties for good price) that I mix and pour over wipes every 2-3 days. Tried a sprayer bottle but found it messy and hard to juggle everything including squirmy baby. You can make your own solution but have heard if you pour over wipes it can mould. You can just use plain water too. With any solution you're not supposed to keep them wet for a long time for this reason. That's why I make up more solution but only pour over one container of wipes at a time. Recently just made some double-sided cloth wipes from old receiving blankets to have more for daycare since daycare is going to CD.

Diaper Bag - I have found it challenging to fit the cloth diapers and accessories in my various diaper bags. When I go away for 1-2 days, I actually use a big overnight bag to fit just the diaper stuff.

Number - Probably around 24 diapers would be a good #. You'll want some for the diaper bag and some to be on your shelf while you're washing the others. I just bought a bunch more since DS is starting daycare and I am going to give them the 13 velcro BG's to use there, I have 2 in my diaper bag and 2 pink ones to use at home : ) plus I now have 16 snap BG 4.0's and 1 misc snap diaper so I've got 34 diapers total. Hopefully this will work out.

Talk to Margaret at Sweetheart Diapers. There's lot of info on her website too. Good to see various diapers in person. There's also lots of online stores up Toronto way. I've bought some of my stuff locally but most of it online from places like sogreenbaby, avas appletree since free shipping with a certain $ amount. Not sure I will have saved much money in the end with CD'ing since I started so late and have experimented with so many things and got all the bells and whistles. You could do without many things but I figured if I was going to do it, I wanted to do it with the least hassle possible. No matter what, it's nice not to be throwing out a ton of dirty diapers each day and having to go buy diapers all the time.

Edited by chat_cath, 24 September 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#14 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

I would forsure talk to Margaret from Sweetheart Diapers. There a so many options now and it really depends on how much work you want.
For me- I tended to us the BG's for daycare and grandparents- as they are most like sposies. For myself- I almost exclusively used Fuzzi Bunz at home. If I had to do over again, I would not buy pockets- I would go for AIO's. I HATED sitting there and stuffing all of the pockets after they were washed. I hated the velco on the BG's and would probably avoid that again, but on the other hand I loved the ease factor of the BG"s for the daycare providers.
I never found the washing to be a huge ordeal. I had 2 large wetbags. I put one in the diaper pail and on laundry day would take entire bag out and throw it in the wash. Then I had a clean one ready to go. I never used a sprayer at all and really had minimal staining on mine. I did use disposable liners quite frequently to catch the poop.

#15 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thank you! Chat cath, that was a TON of great info!!

#16 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

mf is microfiber - a lot of people have issues with it - it tends to be the cause of diaper stink - it gets funky easily and is generally where the finicky wash routines come into play. I am too lazy to deal with it.

It is so funny how much everyone differs when it comes to cloth - it can be as complicated and expensive or as cheap and easy as you want it to be.

With Brook I seriously tried everything! I spent so much money on all of the 'must' haves & found that it is just not for me.

I would take folding flats (mindless and super fast) over stuffing pockets any day! I can't even begin to imagine spending 60-75 minutes folding diapers - I can fold and put away a load of diapers in about 5 minutes if I'm not distracted (read: never) & when dealing with the baby and 4 year old slightly closer to 10.

We have never had a bad rash but have had a couple of small ones (usually when we go away, different detergent - we don't have an he washer) but I DO use sudocream I just use it sparingly and with a fleece liner - also what I use for poop as poop doesn't stick to fleece. The sudocream clears it up before the next change.

Stains don't bother me - I don't even bother sunning but it does take them out. I have very minimal staining but have an ebf baby so I expect it. I didn't buy my diapers to sell & look pretty, I bought them to work - as long as they do that (& look cute on the outside) I am happy.

I don't find the laundry bad at all. I generally wash every 2-3 days. I do a normal hot wash with an extra rinse - less than an hour & then dry. If I don't 'need' my aios immediately it is just a normal low dryer cycle (I let them hang dry the rest of the way). I think it is definitely safe to say I spend LESS than 15 minutes doing diaper laundry (really dumping stuff into the washer,hanging covers, throwing it in the dryer, folding and putting away do not take much time & they aren't all at once..about 2 minutes a couple times a day, hardly noticeable - I did it working ft too).

I have had bad experiences with rockin' green personally - dingy not the freshest looking diapers - I bought from a good friend..I fixed them but it is definitely not something I would buy and use.

I don't have a bunch of wetbags & that's alright - I have two but really only use one. I have two wetbags too but again find one works fine. I like hanging ones better than pail liners.

I use wahm cloths & water in a spray bottle. My normal pretty small graco diaper bag is plenty big for a full day outing though for 1-3 week adventures I do need my big roots one just for diapers & diaper supplies.

I did cloth since birth - I used a dozen fitteds & a couple dozen sized prefolds, it worked great (I had other things but decided to stick with what I liked best).

Right now my working stash is 6 bge's,18 flats,6 greenline bamboo inserts & around 16-18 covers(guessing). I have a lot of prefolds, flats, pockets, etc. I don't use. I can't give a diaper total because I reuse covers. I padfold so I sacrifice covers with poops but it's worth it to me to not spend money on aios,ai2s,etc.

I have definitely saved money, plus I don't have to buy them, lug boxes in & out of the house, take out many garbage bags & I don't have that terrible diaper reek smell - with dd1 we had a plastic genie thing & the plastic absorbed poop stink so it just always smelled awful sitting on her bedroom floor (I cleaned it every week but the smell was IN the plastic).

Talk to Margaret, but in the end it is all your call. Even just from this thread you can tell we are all different.

It also isn't an all or nothing thing - you can also purchase as you go so there is less of an upfront cost. My neighbour does cloth part time.

#17 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Oh yeah- I wanted to say that the less washing you want to do, then the more diapers you need. I had enough to be able to wash twice a week only. But you don't really want to go more than 3 days without wash as they really start to stink.
And I had all pockets and never spent an hour stuffing. Maybe 20 minutes tops.

#18 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

Oh yeah- I wanted to say that the less washing you want to do, then the more diapers you need. I had enough to be able to wash twice a week only. But you don't really want to go more than 3 days without wash as they really start to stink.
And I had all pockets and never spent an hour stuffing. Maybe 20 minutes tops.

You definitely want to wash at least every third day I found because if not your diapers may develop holes (from the amonia from the urine in the diapers). I liked having enough diapers so that like lasergirl I could wash every third day, or even if I washed every other day, I never had to worry about not having plenty of diapers on hand. I found pocket diapers super quick and easy to stuff, maybe 10 mins. tops to do them all after they were dry. If you don't mind flats or prefolds with covers though, they are the cheapest way to go.

#19 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Did you find your water bill going up a lot from all the washing?

#20 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

Did you find your water bill going up a lot from all the washing?

It was so long ago that I can't remember for sure, but especially if you are going with some of the less expensive diapers instead of all pockets, you would still come out ahead cost-wise compared to buying disposables. When I figured it out, I think I remember the numbers showing that if I used all pockets and only with one child then I came out even with disposables, but if I used them with more than one child or used some cheaper diapers instead of all pockets, then I came out ahead. As long as you don't get caught up in buying all the "latest and greatest" diapers and all the cute patterns and styles, you should come out ahead even with the cost of washing.

#21 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

The ones we were looking at we're $23/diaper. Even at 20 diapers that 460$. Each diaper costs what we pay for a case of disposables.

#22 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

The ones we were looking at we're $23/diaper. Even at 20 diapers that 460$. Each diaper costs what we pay for a case of disposables.

I use mostly Kawaii diapers. They're very similar to BG 4.0 one size pockets. I actually prefer them to my BGs. If you buy in a lot they run less than $10 per diaper incl 2 inserts which is a crazy deal. You buy them direct here http://www.theluvyourbaby.com

I have mostly pockets with disposable liners for dumping poop when on solids. no diaper sprayer. I throw dirties in a hanging wet bag, throw the whole thing in the washer, cold pre rinse, hot wash, 2nd rinse, with Claudia's detergent from Sweetheart Diapers. It's less than Rockin Green but still enviro & cloth friendly. Straight to the dryer (dont get velcro if you plan to put in dryer). I don't stuff unless I'm putting them in my diaper bag. I store them separately and stuff at change time. I hated stuffing at laundry time, but yes it only took 10 min max.

Edited by Danielle, 25 September 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#23 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

I use mostly Kawaii diapers. They're very similar to BG 4.0 one size pockets. I actually prefer them to my BGs. If you buy in a lot they run less than $10 per diaper incl 2 inserts which is a crazy deal. You buy them direct here http://www.theluvyourbaby.com

Holy wow, that is a great deal!

#24 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

When I said 60-75 min that was with drying time in dryer included. They don't take that long to stuff, maybe 15 minutes if baby not around undoing all my piles of things. In the beginning it was a lot to adjust to but now I don't really mind it, it's just worrying once I'm back to work when I will coordinate everything. There's no way I could stuff them at change time as it's crazy enough now with DS standing up on the change table, reaching for everything and trying to get the diapers on and off him and dirty ones put away.

I think it is possibly kawaii diapers I have 2 of and really liked them up until recently as they are now just starting to leave marks on DS since they aren't quite as big as the BG 4.0 snaps. They're now in my closet. I bought them used from someone with a bunch of other stuff. They don't have a name tag or anything but I recently saw some online and I'm pretty sure we have the blue and brown polks dot one and a purple animal print one similar to the other animal print patterns. They are pretty nice diapers, way better fitting than FuzziBunz, but of course the ones I'm getting the most long term use from is the BG 4.0s with snaps. It's funny though they have a tag inside that says to wash in cold water - which I've never done as why would you wash a cloth diaper in cold water although just checked your link and you are supposed to wash them in cooler water than normal diapers because of what they're made of.

Mama2Gracie, I think they BG's you are looking at now have the buy 5 get 1 free, so make sure you factor that in your #/cost. Have you googled to check lowest prices? You also don't have to buy a ton at once. You might be fine with less overall. And the big thing is you might not like the ones you buy, so I would start with a smaller # of one brand and try them for a little bit.

I don't know about the water bill as we started after new HE machines and the time of day usage happened a few months into it, and so many other factors. Most of the time I wash them at night or on w/e day for best usuage rates but sometimes I have just washed them whenever to be done and have clean diapers. In the beginning you have to wash new ones a few times each so since I bought mine in a bunch of stages, I'm sure I added to my bills since I was always excited to use the new ones and would wash them right away.

Edited by chat_cath, 25 September 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#25 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

If you are set on those personally I would wait for black friday sales & buy in the US (not great if you wanna support local economy but if cost is the main factor it's what *I* would do).

I had kawaii with dd1 - I liked them better than bg too (& I think I paid 6$ a piece).

One common review I have heard of with freetimes is that they are great with ebf but formula or solids poop is a pitb.

#26 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Stuffing diapers is pain and they take so long to dry.
The covers I use are dry within two to three hours and that's hanging to dry.
The soakers I use are dry super quick and there's no stuffing. I hate pocket diapers with a passion.

#27 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

I actually found stuffing diapers relaxing, time to myself lol

#28 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

I don't know. I don't really like or trust diapers made in China. I like that I know who makes my diaper covers and that I can interact with her.

#29 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Honest questions.. Did you guys cloth diaper your newborns? My baby will sometimes literally poop three times in a row..lol How big does your stash have to be to keep up? I wont leave her in a poopy diaper for more than 5 minutes or so- just to see if she's done, but she STILL pulls fast ones on me! lol Lots of diapers and LOTS of laundry, I'm guessing!

#30 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Yep, cloth diapered my last two starting when they're newborns - I do have a pretty sizeable stash, mostly prefolds and covers, some fitteds and a few all in ones. We go through a ton and do laundry every two ish days.

#31 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

Honest questions.. Did you guys cloth diaper your newborns? My baby will sometimes literally poop three times in a row..lol How big does your stash have to be to keep up? I wont leave her in a poopy diaper for more than 5 minutes or so- just to see if she's done, but she STILL pulls fast ones on me! lol Lots of diapers and LOTS of laundry, I'm guessing!

Yep, I did. The midwife talked dp out of starting with cloth so her second diaper was cloth and almost ever diaper since then.

I had 12 newborn fitteds, 6 bg xs aios (but I only used these a few times, waste of money imo), and then prefolds and covers. I padfolded most of the time (yes it meant I sacrificed covers with every poop but they were just super easy and fast + never had blow outs like disposables). I never found the laundry too bad - with diapers anyways.

#32 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

I didn't use them with newborns. With both my kids I started when they were around 5-6 mths. old.

#33 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

i made some of my own as well...very easy and it was fun as well

#34 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

I used newborn profolds pad folded in c

#35 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Covers. I have a lot of covers so I don't care if poop gets on covers. Never had it escape the covers.